[comp.arch] Host--network interface architecture

jps@maria.wustl.edu (James Sterbenz) (12/18/90)

In article <1178@shakti.ncst.ernet.in> shri@ncst.ernet.in (H.Shrikumar) writes:

>#2 How would High Speed Networking affect design ?
>   If one watches the high-speed protocol people, such as people at
>Uwash, St. Louis, MO, they are worrying about how to handle the guzzling I/O
>rates of Gigabit networking.

And one of the problems is that conventional I/O mechanisms just aren't
suited to this kind of bandwidth.  Communicaitons looks a lot more like
memory than I/O at these speeds.

>And most solutions tend to split memory
>into several units, each with a high speed interface (sort of like the
>video-RAM chips, only these are multi-chip boards). And the most
>general backplane interconnect is a cross-point like one. this would
>alter the picture considerably, since the each board has lots of memory
>AND I/O, the backplane then carries only a small fraction of the load.

There is a limit on how much you can push through a bus.  Very high
performace systems require a more sophisticated interconnect than a
simple bus.  Mainframes and high performace multiprocessors have and will
continue to use interconnects with higher connectivity, such as crossbars
[good but O(n^2)] and binary routing fabrics [Banyan, etc. -- O(log n)].

High data rate communication just makes the bus saturate all the faster,
and has implication on interference between the local processor-memory
traffic and external communicaton.

We've got a set of papers out on the Axon host--network interface architecture;
e-mail to me if interested.

--
James Sterbenz  Computer and Communications Research Center
                Washington University in St. Louis   +1 314 726 4203

jps@dworkin.wustl.edu (James Sterbenz) (12/18/90)

In article <2600@olympus.wustl.edu> jps@maria.wustl.edu (James Sterbenz) writes:
>[good but O(n^2)] and binary routing fabrics [Banyan, etc. -- O(log n)].

thanks to Scott Draves for noticing it!