[comp.arch] more register flames

dprrhb@inetg1.Arco.Com (Reginald H. Beardsley) (12/20/90)

 With respect to all the argument about having large numbers of registers in
hardware, do any of you read anything more substantial than net news?

  From "Computer Architecture, A Quantative Approach" by J.L Hennessy and
D.A. Patterson, p. E-15:
 "an implementation of SPARC can have as few a 40 physical registers and as many as 520, although most have 128 to 136, so far"

  If you want to know something about computer architecture and performance,
as opposed to having opinions, read the previously cited volume or Tanenbaum's
"Structured Computer Organization", preferably both.

--
Reginald H. Beardsley
ARCO Information Services

tom@bears.ucsb.edu (Tom Weinstein) (12/21/90)

In article <441@inetg1.arco.com>, dprrhb@inetg1.Arco.Com (Reginald H. Beardsley) writes:

>  With respect to all the argument about having large numbers of registers in
> hardware, do any of you read anything more substantial than net news?

>   From "Computer Architecture, A Quantative Approach" by J.L Hennessy and
> D.A. Patterson, p. E-15:
>  "an implementation of SPARC can have as few a 40 physical registers
>   and as many as 520, although most have 128 to 136, so far"

Ack.  This is so completely out of context that I have to say something.
This is taken right out of the middle of a discussion of register
windows.  All this really says is that SPARC can have a variable number
of register windows, each 32 registers wide.

--
He is Bob...eager for fun.         | Tom Weinstein  tom@bears.ucsb.edu
He wears a smile... Everybody run! |                tweinst@polyslo.calpoly.edu

jdarcy@pinocchio.Encore.COM (Mostly Harmless) (12/27/90)

dprrhb@inetg1.Arco.Com (Reginald H. Beardsley) writes:
> With respect to all the argument about having large numbers of registers in
>hardware, do any of you read anything more substantial than net news?

With respect to those who like to quote other peoples' ideas instead of having
their own, do you realize that books rarely contain current information about
implementation details?

>  From "Computer Architecture, A Quantative Approach" by J.L Hennessy and
                                  ^^^^^^^^^^
>D.A. Patterson, p. E-15:
> "an implementation of SPARC can have as few a 40 physical registers and as many as 520, although most have 128 to 136, so far"

If you really want to provide information, perhaps you should include the
publication date for this material so we know just how many grains of salt
should be consumed with it.

>  If you want to know something about computer architecture and performance,
>as opposed to having opinions, read the previously cited volume or Tanenbaum's
>"Structured Computer Organization", preferably both.

Who the hell do you think you are, anyway?  You insinuation that others present
must know nothing about computer architecture and performance is unspeakably
rude, your implication that knowledge and opinions are mutually exclusive is
laughable, and your presumption in *ordering* us to read your favorite texts
demonstrates your own grievously inflated sense of self-importance.  Whatever
you may know about computer architecture (and I see no evidence that you know
more than the average college CS sophomore), you could certainly use a few
lessons in communication skills.

Followups have been redirected to a newsgroup better suited to Mr. Beardsley's
BS factor.

Jeff d'Arcy, Generic Software Engineer - jdarcy@encore.com
    Non sunt multiplicanda entia praeter necessitatem!