[comp.arch] What is "Dhrystone"?

dong@blake.u.washington.edu (Dong-Lok Kim) (12/28/90)

I have read an article in which was written as "5000+ Dhrystone".
It seemed like a measure of the computer performance. Does anyone
know this meaning in detail? I was told that there is a test
program to measure the Dhrystone.

Thank you in advance, and please excuse my ignorance.

Dong-Lok Kim

chrise@wa4mei.UUCP (Chris England) (12/29/90)

In <13513@milton.u.washington.edu> dong@blake.u.washington.edu (Dong-Lok Kim) writes:

>I have read an article in which was written as "5000+ Dhrystone".
>It seemed like a measure of the computer performance. Does anyone
>know this meaning in detail? I was told that there is a test
>program to measure the Dhrystone.

>Thank you in advance, and please excuse my ignorance.

>Dong-Lok Kim

The Drystone test is an industry standard comparison of a C compiler
and CPU performance.  The rating is roughly corresponding to one thousand
instructions per second, or one-thousandth of one MIPS.

The Drystone ranking indicates the relative performance of one processor
in a multi-processor unit.

Chris England
Brock Control Systems
Tech. Support
+800 444-3070

the opinions herein are not necessarily that of my employer, not necessarily
mine, and probably not necessary
--
Brock Control Systems, Inc. |  SF rule #161: Remember that your weapon was