[comp.arch] New Microprocessors Expected in 1991

mslater@cup.portal.com (Michael Z Slater) (12/30/90)

I'm working up a list of all the new high-performance microprocessors
expected in 1991. I'd appreciate any additions to the list or details anyone
can fill in. I'm especially interested in anticipated introduction and
sampling dates, and projected clock rates and performance. I'll post an
updated version after I've collected responses. Here's the list so far:

---------

LSI Logic's "Lightning" SPARC processor. Five-chip superscalar
implementation, dispatches up to four instructions per clock. Uses out-of-
order instruction execution, speculative execution, and register relabeling.

Texas Instruments' "Viking" SPARC processor. Superscalar and superpipelined,
dispatches up to three instructions per clock. On-chip caches approximately
16 Kbytes each for instructions and data.

Cypress/ROSS Technology's "Pinnacle" SPARC processor. Superscalar, dispatches
up to two instructions per clock cycle. On chip cache approximately 16
Kbytes, external MMU and controller for second-level cache.

SPARC processors combining existing integer and floating-point units from
Fujitsu and LSI Logic.

MIPS' R4000. Superpipelined processor, on-chip clock doubler. On-chip
instruction and data caches 8 Kbytes each, controller for external second-
level cache. Implements MIPS-2 architecture extensions.

Motorola's 88110, a superscalar implementation of the 88000 architecture with
on-chip instruction and data caches of 8K each, 80-bit floating-point
support, separate floating-point and integer registers, graphics execution
unit.

Motorola's 68EC040, a low-cost variant of the 68040 with no floating-point or
memory management units and instruction and data caches of 2K each instead of
4K each.

Intel's "N11," the next-generation 860-family processor. Includes larger
caches with support for multiprocessor cache coherency, plus support for MPAX
loop- level parallelism scheme.

Intel's "P23," a low-cost version of the 486 that the press has called the
486SX. A 486 without the floating-point unit, and possibly with a smaller
cache.

Hitachi's Precision Architecture processor, the first implementation of
Hewlett- Packard's RISC architecture to be offered as a chip-level product.

Samsung's Clipper implementation for embedded control. Likely to include
modest on-chip caches.

VLSI Technology's next-generation Acorn RISC Machine (ARM). Will include
instruction set extensions and on-chip cache.

National Semiconductor's "Swordfish," a superscalar processor loosely based
on the 32000 architecture but not binary compatible. Designed for embedded
control applications, includes on-chip peripherals.

Inmos' "H1" Transputer, a new generation of Transputer with higher-
performance "links" and a faster processor core.

---------

I'll send a free copy of the first 1991 issue of Microprocessor Report, which
will include an embellished version of this list, to anyone who contributes
to it.

Michael Slater, Microprocessor Report        mslater@cup.portal.com
874 Gravenstein Hwy. So., Suite 14, Sebastopol, CA 95472
707/823-4004   fax: 707/823-0504

torbenm@diku.dk (Torben [gidius Mogensen) (01/02/91)

mslater@cup.portal.com (Michael Z Slater) writes:

>I'm working up a list of all the new high-performance microprocessors
>expected in 1991. I'd appreciate any additions to the list or details anyone
>can fill in. I'm especially interested in anticipated introduction and
>sampling dates, and projected clock rates and performance. I'll post an
>updated version after I've collected responses. Here's the list so far:

[ most of the list deleted ]

>VLSI Technology's next-generation Acorn RISC Machine (ARM). Will include
>instruction set extensions and on-chip cache.

The ARM3, which has been available for some time now fits the above
description already: it has on-chip cache and a few extensions to the
instruction set.

I believe that ARM Ltd. (which is a new company started by Apple,
Acorn and VLSI to produce and market the ARM chips) will extend this
with built-in MMU or FPU (or both) during 1991.

	Torben Mogensen (torbenm@diku.dk)