[comp.arch] DVI

lindsay@gandalf.cs.cmu.edu (Donald Lindsay) (01/06/91)

In article <37606@cup.portal.com> ts@cup.portal.com (Tim W Smith) writes:
>>As far a DVI goes (which I know a bit about,too and I didn't get it
>>all from books) a CD-ROM can hold up to 70 min. of full-screen,
>>full-motion video with good quality stereo audio.

>How does this work?  Assume 700 meg of data (for easy computing) and
>we get 10 meg for each minute of video, or 170 KBytes per second,
>or (assuming 30 frames per second) about 6 KBytes/frame.
>So how do they get good video from this?  Compress the heck out of it?

Yes, they compress. Your calculations are fairly close. The
compression ratio was not chosen arbitrarily: it makes the data rate
come out to the data rate that CD-ROM drives provide.

The DVI chip set is two chips: Intel offers them on a single AT-
compatible board, with some VRAM, and a DSP for audio.

Compression/decompression chip sets seem to be busting out all over.
DVI is Intel turf, so the competitors have differentiated themselves
- into HDTV, JPEG, low-cost NTSC/VGA merging, and so on. There should
be quite a lot of sorting-out in the next two or three years.
--
Don		D.C.Lindsay .. temporarily at Carnegie Mellon Robotics