[comp.arch] i960 "history" was: more registers for ix86, was: Let's pretend

graeme@labtam.labtam.oz (Graeme Gill) (01/09/91)

In article <3104@crdos1.crd.ge.COM>, davidsen@crdos1.crd.ge.COM (Wm E Davidsen Jr) writes:
> In article <5833@labtam.labtam.oz> scott@labtam.labtam.oz (Scott Colwell) writes:
>
> |                                             Imagine what might be produced if
> | the silicon technology and the effort that are put into the x86 and 860
> | groups was put into just one RISC family rather than the two RISC and one
> | CISC family that Intel have today. (i.e. x86, 860, 960)
>
>   I really don't see that any of the lines you mention are suffering
> from lack of resources (maybe the 486), and no one CPU would be likely
> to fit all the markets and be priced for mass marketing.

	In looking at the history of different processor developments at
Intel, it is interesting to read between the lines and get a whiff of the
internal company politics that seems to affect the outcome more than
technical considerations. "The 80960 Microprocessor Architecture" by
Glenford J. Myers and David L. Budde gives some hints as to what probably
went on in the development of the 80960 and 80386. Basically, the 80960
group had working full speed silicon (including on chip floating point)
some time before the 80386 group. In fact the 80387 FPU core was borrowed
from the 80960 FPU. At the release of the 80386, the 80960 chip was capable
of providing twice the integer and floating point performance at the same
clock rate, and was less sensitive to memory speed than the 80386.
The 80960 was fully intended to be a UNIX style CPU engine, and
included virtual memory support.
	What happened after that one can only guess, but the 80960K series
was not released when it was ready, as it would have confused customers
and sabotage sales of the soon-to-be-released 80386. In fact Intel
seems to have sat on the architecturally superior 80960 for a few years,
until it was "re-targeted" at embedded applications. I understand that
a number of those who worked on the 960 project left in disgust.
	In the vacuum created by the crushing of the 960 and the architectural
limitations of the 386 family, it is possible to imagine that there
was the space for the the 80860 to get of the ground. Unfortunately
it was yet-another architecture.
	The 960 project is far from being dead, but the second generation
of products is being slow to emerge, and the marketing and support is
strictly for embedded rather than general purpose applications.
	In my opinion, this is where
it is a pity that Intel hasn't put more of its resources behind one
family, as a hypothetical 80960CC+ (C series integer core, C series
floating point, virtual memory support, + maybe graphics extensions)
would be more than a match for the 80860 (or n11). If one can extrapolate
from the pricing of the 80960CA, such a chip would be very well priced,
and would be capable of both general purpose and embedded applications.
It is really a pity that Intel had so much trouble figuring out a way of
introducing one new CPU family without hurting sales of the old, that it
has ended up with 3, 32 bit CPU families !
	If one could re-write history, I would be tempted to re-write it
in such a way that the 80960K was released instead of the 80386, with
8086 instruction set emulation in micro-code.

	Graeme Gill
	Electronic Design Engineer
	Labtam Australia