[comp.arch] OS/2 is dead?

borasky@ogicse.ogi.edu (M. Edward Borasky) (12/13/90)

In article <28775@usc> ajayshah@alhena.usc.edu (Ajay Shah) writes:
>Knowing OS/2 is safely dead and buried where all terrible OSes
>belong
OS/2 is NOT dead or even dying.  It is the natural evolutionary path
of MSDOS/WINDOWS.  MSDOS/WINDOWS and OS/2 will eventually converge.
Once the members of the 80x86 family BELOW the 80386 die off, MSDOS
will be a point in history like RSX-11 and OS/360.

chuck@trantor.harris-atd.com (Chuck Musciano) (12/13/90)

In article <14887@ogicse.ogi.edu>, borasky@ogicse.ogi.edu (M. Edward Borasky) writes:
> In article <28775@usc> ajayshah@alhena.usc.edu (Ajay Shah) writes:
> >Knowing OS/2 is safely dead and buried where all terrible OSes
> >belong
> OS/2 is NOT dead or even dying.  It is the natural evolutionary path
> of MSDOS/WINDOWS.  MSDOS/WINDOWS and OS/2 will eventually converge.
> Once the members of the 80x86 family BELOW the 80386 die off, MSDOS
> will be a point in history like RSX-11 and OS/360.

     I think it is not too far off the mark to say that OS/2 is certainly
weakening, and has a poor prognosis.  Recent figures from IBM revised the
sales estimates for OS/2 for 1992 from 6.5 million copies to 900,000 copies.
The predictions for OS/2's success have been extraordinarily optimistic,
and so far, dead wrong.

     Do you ever expect 80286 and 8088 based machines to go away?  We will
be running MS-DOS well into the next century, I think.

     My prediction?  OS/2 will wither and die, while Windows becomes the
predominant PC operating environment.  Unix, of course, will rule any
non-proprietary platform.

--

Chuck Musciano				ARPA  : chuck@trantor.harris-atd.com
Harris Corporation 			Usenet: ...!uunet!x102a!trantor!chuck

A good newspaper is never good enough,
	but a lousy newspaper is a joy forever.		-- Garrison Keillor

melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) (12/13/90)

In article <14887@ogicse.ogi.edu> borasky@ogicse.ogi.edu (M. Edward Borasky) writes:

   In article <28775@usc> ajayshah@alhena.usc.edu (Ajay Shah) writes:
   >Knowing OS/2 is safely dead and buried where all terrible OSes
   >belong
   OS/2 is NOT dead or even dying.  It is the natural evolutionary path
   of MSDOS/WINDOWS.  MSDOS/WINDOWS and OS/2 will eventually converge.
   Once the members of the 80x86 family BELOW the 80386 die off, MSDOS
   will be a point in history like RSX-11 and OS/360.

This gentleman is probably correct.  There are at least 25 million DOS
users that will eventually move to OS/2.  This will probably take
several years, but most DOS users will migrate to OS/2.  We have to
suffer through DOS 5.0(early next year) and Windows 4.0 first.  Then
again, maybe Sun and NeXT can put Unix on the business desktop and
save us all a lot of suffering, waiting, and money.

-Mike

sef@kithrup.COM (Sean Eric Fagan) (12/13/90)

In article <Fke2i1t3@cs.psu.edu> melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) writes:
>There are at least 25 million DOS
>users that will eventually move to OS/2.

Uhm, not necessarily.  Remember that unix is a contender in that market, as
well, at least for the '386 (where you can, *right now*, run multiple DOS
binaries at the same time).  For the '286, it's uncertain:  OS/2 takes up
too much, resource-wise (processor, memory, disk), but it lets you run DOS
apps, whereas the various '286 unices don't.

Windows, on the other hand, will quite possibly steal the show, since it's
turning out to be more popular than most people gave it credit for...

sef@kithrup.COM  |  I had a bellyache at the time."

johnl@iecc.cambridge.ma.us (John R. Levine) (12/13/90)

In article <14887@ogicse.ogi.edu> borasky@ogicse.ogi.edu (M. Edward Borasky) writes:

>   OS/2 is NOT dead or even dying.  It is the natural evolutionary path
>   of MSDOS/WINDOWS.  MSDOS/WINDOWS and OS/2 will eventually converge.

Most likely true, but I see no reason to assume that the survivor of this
convergent evolution will be OS/2.  With the possible exception of Lotus
Notes, I know of no interesting application that requires OS/2, though I
know of a lot that need Windows.

Who knows, the survivor may actually be a bunch of DOS, Windows, OS/2 and
Unix emulators all simultaneously running on top of a mach kernel with a
hardware-assisted display that talks X12 or perhaps Display Postscript.

--
John R. Levine, IECC, POB 349, Cambridge MA 02238, +1 617 864 9650
johnl@iecc.cambridge.ma.us, {ima|spdcc|world}!iecc!johnl

cgy@cs.brown.edu (Curtis Yarvin) (12/13/90)

In article <14887@ogicse.ogi.edu> borasky@ogicse.ogi.edu (M. Edward Borasky) writes:

>In article <28775@usc> ajayshah@alhena.usc.edu (Ajay Shah) writes:
>>Knowing OS/2 is safely dead and buried where all terrible OSes
>>belong
>OS/2 is NOT dead or even dying.  It is the natural evolutionary path
>of MSDOS/WINDOWS.  MSDOS/WINDOWS and OS/2 will eventually converge.
>Once the members of the 80x86 family BELOW the 80386 die off, MSDOS
>will be a point in history like RSX-11 and OS/360.

"BRONTOSAURUS is NOT dead or even dying.  It is the natural evolutionary path
of TYRANNOSAURUS/ARCHAEOPTERYX.  TYRANNOSAURUS/ARCHAEOPTERYX and BRONTOSAURUS
will eventually converge.  Once the mammals die off, TYRANNOSAURUS will be a
point in history like FISH and ALLIGATOR."

Let's face it, even Unix has been obsolete for 6 or 7 years.  And Unix is a
saber-toothed tiger compared to OS/2 - which, after all, only runs in 80286
mode.  While man has made many technological triumphs in this decade, the
286 is not one of them; the ghost of Rube Goldberg lives and breathes in
every AT.  When Microslosh comes out with a nice clean OS/2 for the 386,
than maybe you can start talking.  But right now I consider Windows MORE
advanced than OS/2.
	Not that OS/2 is such a great achievement, even for what it is.  It
wants at least 2 megs to run, and costs... well, what?  about $200?  Which
is cheap and elegant compared to SunOS, but helplessly bloated next to
Windows.  Its 8086 "compatibility box" is DOA, and its programming
interface is mediocre.
	Unix isn't the operating system of the future, either.  (Now if the
marketdroids at AT&T would only rip the lard off their brains and SELL Plan
9... but I digress.)  But it's MY favorite OS.  And hopefully there are
enough people like me around that it'll survive.  OS/2 doesn't even have
that.  It doesn't appeal to the users(Windows and Macintosh are at least as
slick).  It doesn't appeal to the developers (how many native-80286 apps
have been sold?).  It doesn't appeal to the OEMs (how many systems come
bundled with OS/2?).  It doesn't even appeal to the hackers (CAPITAL
LETTERS?  I CAN'T PROGRAM IN CAPITAL LETTERS!).  Face it, folks: OS/2 is
surrounded on all fronts, and its hull is beginning to leak.

Curtis

"I tried living in the real world
 Instead of a shell
 But I was bored before I even began." - The Smiths

windy@andrej.informatik.rwth-aachen.de (Andrew John Stuart Miller) (12/13/90)

borasky@ogicse.ogi.edu (M. Edward Borasky) writes:

>In article <28775@usc> ajayshah@alhena.usc.edu (Ajay Shah) writes:
>>Knowing OS/2 is safely dead and buried where all terrible OSes
>>belong
>OS/2 is NOT dead or even dying.  It is the natural evolutionary path
>of MSDOS/WINDOWS.  MSDOS/WINDOWS and OS/2 will eventually converge.
>Once the members of the 80x86 family BELOW the 80386 die off, MSDOS
>will be a point in history like RSX-11 and OS/360.

If os/2 is not yet dead, that is a pity.

One is right in saying that OS2 is the logical evolutional path from
DOS, the problem is that DOS is CP/M with bells and whistles --- OS/2
is what DOS should have been in terms of multi-tasking and addressing
possibilities.  The PC, as it was then, was capable of multitasking
with the right software (just look at minix, Coherent or MP/M...) and
enough hardware (more store (or RAM as people insist on misnaming it),
and a hard disk.

Windows and Presentation Manager are nothing to do with operating
systems.  They are windowing systems, just like (but not as good as)
suntools MGR or Xwindows to name but a few. You could, if you wanted
to, run GEM or X or MGR or MSwindows under OS/2 instead of PM. You can
port them, not me!

Due to networking any multitasking operating system being released
today should also be multi-user, like Unix, Minix, OS9. As far as I
know, OS2 is not. This means its use in networks can only be a kludge
at best. This means that OS2, like MS-DOS, was a point in history at
its launch!

If only typical PC users understood.......

    Andrew Miller

email: windy@strange.informatik.rwth-aachen.de
snail: Ruetscherstr 165  D-5100 Aachen
voice: 0049 (0)241 894-355
I hate paper, especially paper with source code on it!
Trees are the lungs of our planet!

bs@faron.mitre.org (Robert D. Silverman) (12/13/90)

:
:>In article <28775@usc> ajayshah@alhena.usc.edu (Ajay Shah) writes:
:>>Knowing OS/2 is safely dead and buried where all terrible OSes
:>>belong
:>OS/2 is NOT dead or even dying.  It is the natural evolutionary path
:>of MSDOS/WINDOWS.  MSDOS/WINDOWS and OS/2 will eventually converge.
:>Once the members of the 80x86 family BELOW the 80386 die off, MSDOS
:>will be a point in history like RSX-11 and OS/360.
:
:If os/2 is not yet dead, that is a pity.

Look.

Will you people take this holy war somewhere else? It has nothing
to do with computer architecture.
--
Bob Silverman
#include <std.disclaimer>

jap@convex.cl.msu.edu (Joe Porkka) (12/14/90)

chuck@trantor.harris-atd.com (Chuck Musciano) writes:

>In article <14887@ogicse.ogi.edu>, borasky@ogicse.ogi.edu (M. Edward Borasky) writes:
>> In article <28775@usc> ajayshah@alhena.usc.edu (Ajay Shah) writes:

>     Do you ever expect 80286 and 8088 based machines to go away?  We will
>be running MS-DOS well into the next century, I think.

Well I personally will never give up my CP/M machine! (except MAYBE
for an MSDOS machine)
I just cant wait for X-Windows to be port to it!

:-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

gould@pilot.njin.net (Brian Jay Gould) (12/14/90)

I agree that Windows and OS/2 are merging.  Generally, only because programs
written for Windows will be portable to OS/2 with very little effort.  If
you look at the stuff written for Windows 3.0 (as opposed to ported from
something else or something earlier) you get some clean window handling
DDE, network support and such.  OS/2 is not DOS.

OS/2 brings the HPFS so we can finally get rid of the DOS FAT file system and
its silly file naming space.  HPFS386 brings us some file system security
(currently available only with LAN Manager).  OS/2 brings us true multitasking.

I can't understand why someone would want multi-user support on their desktop
workstation.  Giving the input-focus window top CPU priority makes a lot of
sense to me.  I don't want to login to my workstation, and I certainly don't
want other users logging into my workstation through the network.

OS/2 1.x really is a dog.  No disagreement there.  But, I'll bet (any takers?)
that you will see orders for OS/2 2.0 in quantities 5-10 times that of current
levels.  I know of several local companies ready to order hundreds of copies
when it is released.

For those of you convinced that OS/2 is dying, please print your prediction and
leave it (signed) in a public place for about a year.
Any disclaimers made for me, by me, or about me - may or may not accurately
reflect my failure to be reflecting the opinions of myself or anyone else.
*  Brian Jay Gould - Professional Brain-stormer *

msp33327@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Michael S. Pereckas) (12/14/90)

OS/2 will probably be more interesting when they finally finish
writting it.  Someday, it will have all the things unix has had for
some years now.  It will be 32 bit (that is mostly done now).  It will
run on machines that don't look extraordinarily similar to IBM PC/ATs.
(can you say risc?)  Perhaps they will finaly free themselves from the
Intel 80x86s.  It will have working printer drivers someday.

The problem is that it was released some years ago, long before they
had finished writting it.

If they'd just written a nice graphical shell for unix, they'd have
been done writting it a long time ago.  But IBM and Microsoft don't
like standards.  So while everything from workstations to supers runs
something that looks like unix, they'll keep working on OS/2.
Someday, it might be as good as unix, probably better in some areas.
But unix will be the standard for workstations on up.

(What's the ``P'' is PC stand for?  Proprietary.)

--

Michael Pereckas               * InterNet: m-pereckas@uiuc.edu *
just another student...          (CI$: 72311,3246)

minich@d.cs.okstate.edu (Robert Minich) (12/14/90)

by gould@pilot.njin.net (Brian Jay Gould):
| I can't understand why someone would want multi-user support on their desktop
| workstation.  Giving the input-focus window top CPU priority makes a lot of
| sense to me.  I don't want to login to my workstation, and I certainly don't
| want other users logging into my workstation through the network.

  I agree that these desktop boxes should be primarily designed as single-
user platforms but the ability to have other logins can be very valuable.
I agree that the user with the mouse in his hand should get most of the cpu
cycles but I don't know why allowing a limited multiuser capability should
detract from this. Just let it be known that "other" users online are the
low priority scuzz. :-)
--
|_    /| | Robert Minich            |
|\'o.O'  | Oklahoma State University| "I'm a newcomer here, but does the

prc@erbe.se (Robert Claeson) (12/14/90)

In article <Dec.13.15.26.01.1990.22374@pilot.njin.net>, gould@pilot.njin.net (Brian Jay Gould) writes:

|> I can't understand why someone would want multi-user support on their desktop
|> workstation.  Giving the input-focus window top CPU priority makes a lot of
|> sense to me.  I don't want to login to my workstation, and I certainly don't
|> want other users logging into my workstation through the network.

I've used workstations and am currently using an X terminal talking to a bunch
of large UNIX machines in a locked computer room. I find it harder and harder
to understand why one would want a general purpose computer on the desktop
at all. But -- this has very little to do with computer architecture.
--
Robert Claeson                  |Reasonable mailers: rclaeson@erbe.se
ERBE DATA AB                    |      Dumb mailers: rclaeson%erbe.se@sunet.se

herrickd@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com (daniel lance herrick) (12/14/90)

In article <Dec.13.15.26.01.1990.22374@pilot.njin.net>, gould@pilot.njin.net (Brian Jay Gould) writes:
> I can't understand why someone would want multi-user support on their desktop
> workstation.  Giving the input-focus window top CPU priority makes a lot of
> sense to me.  I don't want to login to my workstation, and I certainly don't
> want other users logging into my workstation through the network.

Logging in to my workstation gives me some assurance about what
happened while I was away from the workstation.

Allowing another to login over the network permits the class of
solutions represented by UUCP.  There may be other solutions
to that set of problems, but UUCP is a well established, mature
solution that probably has half its security holes closed.

Even DECnet nft uses login machinery to establish my right
to see the files that I am copying out or my right to write
files where I want to put them.

dan herrick
herrickd@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com

jsd@spotted.rice.edu (Shawn Joel Dube) (12/15/90)

In article <5074@trantor.harris-atd.com>, chuck@trantor.harris-atd.com (Chuck Musciano) writes:

|>      Do you ever expect 80286 and 8088 based machines to go away?  We will
|> be running MS-DOS well into the next century, I think.

Well, lets look at it this way, my Atari 800 is 4 years older than the first
IBM PC.  So, 2000 (the next century) - 4 = 1996.  So, by that argument, those
few people left who know what an 800 looks like will still be using it in 1996.

(Probably yes, but not to do CAD, desktop pub, etc.
 Of course it makes a great electronic fish bowl)

--
rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
r     ___     _              "...but then there was the         r

sysmgr@KING.ENG.UMD.EDU (Doug Mohney) (12/15/90)

In article <Fke2i1t3@cs.psu.edu>, melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) writes:
> There are at least 25 million DOS
>users that will eventually move to OS/2.  This will probably take
>several years, but most DOS users will migrate to OS/2.  We have to
>suffer through DOS 5.0(early next year) and Windows 4.0 first.

I don't think so....I think you'll be lucky to see 1/5 those users move to
OS/2, because A) It's very complex in its current form and B) Relatively
resource-intensive.

>Then again, maybe Sun and NeXT can put Unix on the business desktop and
>save us all a lot of suffering, waiting, and money.

Brrrrrrr..."business users" have enough trouble suffering through MS-DOS
and LAN networks.
                          %%%%% Signature v2.0 %%%%%
 Doug Mohney, Operations Manager, CAD Lab/ME, Univ. of Maryland College Park
*   If Apple's pricing strategy had been as exciting as their commercials, *
*		Windows 3.0 would have never been written		   *

sysmgr@KING.ENG.UMD.EDU (Doug Mohney) (12/15/90)

In article <windy.661083071@andrej>, windy@andrej.informatik.rwth-aachen.de (Andrew John Stuart Miller) writes:

>Due to networking any multitasking operating system being released
>today should also be multi-user, like Unix, Minix, OS9. As far as I
>know, OS2 is not. This means its use in networks can only be a kludge
>at best.

Huh? Why should you want to run multiple users on a PC box? Sure, you could be
perverse and run X-terms off a '486, but why bother? Just buy a couple of '386
boxes and be ahead of the game.

You don't have to be multi-user to be in a network; just spin off network
services as a background task.

>If only typical PC users understood.......

There's nothing "typical" in making a PC a multiuser system. You add
Unix/Xenix, plus networking or RS-232 cards.

jmck@norge.Eng.Sun.COM (John McKernan) (12/15/90)

sysmgr@KING.ENG.UMD.EDU (Doug Mohney) writes:
>Huh? Why should you want to run multiple users on a PC box?
>
> Doug Mohney, Operations Manager, CAD Lab/ME, Univ. of Maryland College Park

The fact that the PCs are on a network is one reason. Basically you
want to be able to configure your network anywhere in the range of 'each
machine is only used by one specific person' to 'every user has full
access to all the machines'. A simple and direct way of giving every
user complete access to all machines at all times is having multi-user
machines.

John McKernan.
Windows and Graphics Software, Sun Microsystems.                  jmck@sun.com

pavlov@canisius.UUCP (Greg Pavlov) (12/15/90)

In article <Fke2i1t3@cs.psu.edu>, melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) writes:

> ....  There are at least 25 million DOS
> users that will eventually move to OS/2.  This will probably take
> several years, but most DOS users will migrate to OS/2.  ....

  I am willing to bet that the vast majority of these 25 million+ users do
  not have the foggiest idea of what OS/2 is or any notion of how to "move"
  to it  (not an insult: it's not their job to worry/know about these things).

  It's the computer people supporting these machines who will have to a) con-
  sider the "move" and b) implement it.  When these people sit down to serious-
  ly contemplate what has to be done to accomplish this for what it will yield,
  the decision will be made to leave good ol' DOS (and Windows) on most of the
  machines for a long time to come.   And when OS/2 is, in fact, installed, the
  primary reason in the majority of those cases will be system management,
  e.g., factors that affect the efficiency of the people managing these systems

  greg pavlov, fstrf, amherst, ny
  pavlov@stewart.fstrf.org

In article <4565@exodus.Eng.Sun.COM>, jmck@norge.Eng.Sun.COM (John McKernan) writes:
>sysmgr@KING.ENG.UMD.EDU (Doug Mohney) writes:
>>Huh? Why should you want to run multiple users on a PC box?
>>
>> Doug Mohney, Operations Manager, CAD Lab/ME, Univ. of Maryland College Park
>
>The fact that the PCs are on a network is one reason. Basically you
>want to be able to configure your network anywhere in the range of 'each
>machine is only used by one specific person' to 'every user has full
>access to all the machines'. A simple and direct way of giving every
>user complete access to all machines at all times is having multi-user
>machines.

In that case, you no longer have a "PERSONAL" computer, but a workstation.
Ergo, if you are running a workstation, you need UN*X, not OS/2. Sounds like
Apples and Walnuts to me...

                          %%%%% Signature v2.0 %%%%%
 Doug Mohney, Operations Manager, CAD Lab/ME, Univ. of Maryland College Park
*   If Apple's pricing strategy had been as exciting as their commercials, *
*		Windows 3.0 would have never been written		   *

pavlov@canisius.UUCP (Greg Pavlov) (12/15/90)

In article <windy.661083071@andrej>, windy@andrej.informatik.rwth-aachen.de (Andrew John Stuart Miller) writes:

> Windows and Presentation Manager are nothing to do with operating
> systems.  They are windowing systems, ........

  Given that DOS provides the rudimentary set of "operating system" services
  and Windows supplements them a bit, I don't think that this statement is
  completely true in this context.  And most PC users couldn't give a damn
  one way or another.

> If only typical PC users understood.......

  Why should they ?  Will it really make a significant difference for most of
  them ?

pete@csc-sun.mckinsey.com (Peter Gaston) (12/18/90)

Ok, there's been lots of religious ramblings against OS/2.  Personally
I feel that most people aren't keen for IBM for whatever reason.

What I'd like to know, does anyone have a fact base pro/con for
OS/2, esp. w/ regard to it's prime competitor, Unix (and future
derivatives).

From personal experience:
 - OS/2 appears slow, even on a 386 machine, but that may be more
   an artifact of PM and the file system
 - it supports both 'normal' and real-time priorities, is the
   real-time as useful as it claims?
 - writing a device driver is a bear

Any comments or additions to a fact base welcome.

pete gaston

In article <PETE.90Dec17141012@csc-sun.mckinsey.com> pete@csc-sun.mckinsey.com (Peter Gaston) writes:

| From personal experience:
|  - OS/2 appears slow, even on a 386 machine, but that may be more
|    an artifact of PM and the file system

  That's my impression. Running programs which have multiple processes
and little screen activity seems to work reasonably well. Someone here
measured total CPU spent in user processes as 85% of clock time under
load, so the overhead is not much higher than numbers I see on a loaded
UNIX system, also measured as "anything not given to the user is
overhead."

|  - it supports both 'normal' and real-time priorities, is the
|    real-time as useful as it claims?

  It looks good as a process control o/s. Someone posted about comparing
it with Venix in an application which needed real time data aquesition
and control. I believe the evaluation showed both would do the job but
the Venix user interface was better.

  If you don't need realtime capability, you may actually get an
increase in kernel overhead caused by forcing preemptable points in the
logic. I plan on trying V.4 capabilities in this area sometime before
spring.

|  - writing a device driver is a bear

  I'm happy to say I don't know about that!
    VMS is a text-only adventure game. If you win you can use unix.

bob@ns.UUCP (Robert J. Mathias) (12/21/90)

In article <PETE.90Dec17141012@csc-sun.mckinsey.com> pete@csc-sun.mckinsey.com (Peter Gaston) writes:

>Ok, there's been lots of religious ramblings against OS/2.  Personally
>I feel that most people aren't keen for IBM for whatever reason.
>
>What I'd like to know, does anyone have a fact base pro/con for
>OS/2, esp. w/ regard to it's prime competitor, Unix (and future
>derivatives).

I have worked on a product that is an I/O subsystem and maintenance processor
for a mainframe processor.  We have two versions of the product, one that uses
OS/2 and the other Unix. The following comments to your specific remarks relate
back to this product.

>From personal experience:
> - OS/2 appears slow, even on a 386 machine, but that may be more
>   an artifact of PM and the file system

For our application running on the same machine, there is no significant
difference in speed.

> - it supports both 'normal' and real-time priorities, is the
>   real-time as useful as it claims?

We found writing code for OS/2  to be much easier due to the real-time
support in the OS/2 kernel.

> - writing a device driver is a bear

Amen!!!

>Any comments or additions to a fact base welcome.

In general the OS/2 programming environment  is much richer than Unix when
attempting to do real-time applications. The use of threads and DLLs makes
life alot easier. Unix's 1 second resolution for delays is not adequate.

I believe that I would not have any complaints with Mach-based Unix's, since
it adds OS/2 features like threads and has better real-time support.

--
Robert J. Mathias, Jr                uucp: ...!uunet!ccicpg!uis-oc!ns.UUCP!bob
Unisys Corporation                   voice: (714) 727-0323

tom@ssd.csd.harris.com (Tom Horsley) (12/21/90)

bob> I believe that I would not have any complaints with Mach-based Unix's,
bob> since it adds OS/2 features like threads and has better real-time
bob> support.

WOA! Hold it! Time-out! Mach didn't "add" OS/2 features, Mach came first by
a long shot. I don't know if people should spread rumors that OS/2 is dead
or not (probably just wishful thinking), but for God's sake don't imply that
there is *anything* innovative about OS/2!
domain: tahorsley@csd.harris.com       USMail: Tom Horsley
  uucp: ...!uunet!hcx1!tahorsley               511 Kingbird Circle
                                               Delray Beach, FL  33444
+==== Censorship is the only form of Obscenity ======================+
|     (Wait, I forgot government tobacco subsidies...)               |
+====================================================================+

In article <38@ns.UUCP> bob@ns.UUCP (Robert J. Mathias) writes:

| In general the OS/2 programming environment  is much richer than Unix when
| attempting to do real-time applications. The use of threads and DLLs makes
| life alot easier. Unix's 1 second resolution for delays is not adequate.

  Sounds like when you say UNIX you mean BSD. V.3.2 and V.4 have nap()
in ms resolution. And I think BSD does fine resolution thru select(),
although I don't have the man page handy. V.4 has some support for real
time, other than the kernel being more preemptable, I don't have the
right manuals handy. I haven't tried doing any r/t on it yet.

  Anything you saw about the need for threads or other lightweight
process implementations sounds like the right idea, although I might
want to discuss the interface. I have done a lot of hacks to get the
effect of threads, with mixed results and poor portability. Maybe POSIX
should get into this area.

| I believe that I would not have any complaints with Mach-based Unix's, since
| it adds OS/2 features like threads and has better real-time support.

  I agree with the need for the features, but I'm not sure that Mach is
the best solution. I'm waiting to see how various implementations work
over the next few years before forming an opinion. It may be that the
ideas from mach and other versions will be used to do another
implementation. For evaluating the usefulness of an o/s implementation,
no amount of research can substitute for some solid experience in
production use (and vice versa, of course).

    VMS is a text-only adventure game. If you win you can use unix.

ed@dah.sub.org (Ed Braaten) (12/23/90)

In article <PETE.90Dec17141012@csc-sun.mckinsey.com> pete@csc-sun.mckinsey.com (Peter Gaston) writes:

 >Ok, there's been lots of religious ramblings against OS/2.  Personally
 >I feel that most people aren't keen for IBM for whatever reason.

 >What I'd like to know, does anyone have a fact base pro/con for
 >OS/2, esp. w/ regard to it's prime competitor, Unix (and future
 >derivatives).

I don't think OS/2's prime competitor is Unix, but rather Windows 3.0
and its successor...  ;-)

      Ed Braaten        |  "... Man looks at the outward appearance,
Work: ed@de.intel.com   |  but the Lord looks at the heart."
Home: ed@dah.sub.org    |                        1 Samuel 16:7b

bob@ns.UUCP (Robert J. Mathias Jr.) (12/24/90)

In article <TOM.90Dec21073246@hcx2.ssd.csd.harris.com> tom@ssd.csd.harris.com (Tom Horsley) writes:
>WOA! Hold it! Time-out! Mach didn't "add" OS/2 features, Mach came first by
>a long shot. I don't know if people should spread rumors that OS/2 is dead
>or not (probably just wishful thinking), but for God's sake don't imply that
>there is *anything* innovative about OS/2!

There are very few things in new O/S'es that haven't been around for years. I
wasn't try to imply that OS/2 created these features  but that V5 and BSD
are not adequate OS's for real-time environments.

As to "*anything* innovative about OS/2", I disagree.  What makes OS/2
different from other commercial OS's is that it is geared for a single user
workstations.  Yes a multi-user OS (like Unix) can do the similar things,
the emphasis is different.

--

In article <3083@crdos1.crd.ge.COM> davidsen@crdos1.crd.ge.com (bill davidsen) writes:
>  Sounds like when you say UNIX you mean BSD. V.3.2 and V.4 have nap()
>in ms resolution. And I think BSD does fine resolution thru select(),
>although I don't have the man page handy. V.4 has some support for real
>time, other than the kernel being more preemptable, I don't have the
>right manuals handy. I haven't tried doing any r/t on it yet.

The version of Unix I have been using is V.3.  As far as I know, there is
no nap() function in this version.  We use the sleep and alarm functions
which have resolutions of 1 second (if you are lucky).

We just got our version of V.4 but I haven't had time yet to explore it.

>  I agree with the need for the features, but I'm not sure that Mach is
>the best solution. I'm waiting to see how various implementations work
>over the next few years before forming an opinion. It may be that the
>ideas from mach and other versions will be used to do another
>implementation. For evaluating the usefulness of an o/s implementation,
>no amount of research can substitute for some solid experience in
>production use (and vice versa, of course).

I agree with your statements about Mach, and yes there may be better
solutions in other implementations but the this thread started on
OS/2 being dead and that Unix was going to rule the world.  I was only
responding that OS/2 seems to be a better real-time environment than
the main stream Unix's (V and BSD).  Or I should say that in our case
OS/2 met more our needs and was an easier environment to use.
--

jeremy@cs.adelaide.edu.au (Jeremy Webber) (12/24/90)

In article <3083@crdos1.crd.ge.COM> davidsen@crdos1.crd.ge.COM (Wm E Davidsen Jr) writes:
   In article <38@ns.UUCP> bob@ns.UUCP (Robert J. Mathias) writes:

   | In general the OS/2 programming environment  is much richer than Unix when
   | attempting to do real-time applications. The use of threads and DLLs makes
   | life alot easier. Unix's 1 second resolution for delays is not adequate.

     Sounds like when you say UNIX you mean BSD. V.3.2 and V.4 have nap()

Of course you have been able to do sub-second delays with BSD at least since
4.2.  Though they didn't provide a library call for it, the SIGALRM timer could
be set to the resolution of the system clock (or 1microsecond, whichever was
greater :-)
Jeremy Webber			   ACSnet: jeremy@chook.ua.oz
Digital Arts Film and Television,  Internet: jeremy@chook.ua.oz.au
3 Milner St, Hindmarsh, SA 5007,   Voicenet: +61 8 346 4534
Australia			   Papernet: +61 8 346 4537 (FAX)

dricejb@drilex.UUCP (Craig Jackson drilex1) (12/25/90)

(posting from Unisys' Orange County operation, about his experiences
using Unix & OS/2 to do the same task, and finding OS/2 easier for some
tasks.)

>bob> I believe that I would not have any complaints with Mach-based Unix's,
>bob> since it adds OS/2 features like threads and has better real-time
>bob> support.
>
>WOA! Hold it! Time-out! Mach didn't "add" OS/2 features, Mach came first by
>a long shot. I don't know if people should spread rumors that OS/2 is dead
>or not (probably just wishful thinking), but for God's sake don't imply that
>there is *anything* innovative about OS/2!

I'm not certain of all of the chronology, but I think that Mr. Horsley is
a bit uninformed.  I believe that the development of OS/2 and Mach
occurred in a similar timeframe; the early Mach work may have preceded
the early OS/2 work by a year or two.  It is likely that any features
they have in common were independently derived, perhaps from similar
sources.

Certainly concepts like lightweight processes (threads), etc predate Mach.
Multi-tasking predates VM; compared to today's tasking, nearly all
pre-VM 'tasks' were lightweight.

Mr. Mathias may have used a poor choice of words when he said that
Mach "adds OS/2 features".  However, from the point of view of
a commercial applications developer, these features were certainly
usable in OS/2 first.

>domain: tahorsley@csd.harris.com       USMail: Tom Horsley
>+==== Censorship is the only form of Obscenity ======================+
>|     (Wait, I forgot government tobacco subsidies...)               |

To deny the worth of a given product, merely because it comes from
a particular company in the commercial world rather than academia,
is a form of censorship.
--
Craig Jackson
dricejb@drilex.dri.mgh.com

aarons@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Aaron Sloman) (01/02/91)

gould@pilot.njin.net (Brian Jay Gould) writes:

> Date: 13 Dec 90 20:26:01 GMT
>
> I can't understand why someone would want multi-user support on their desktop
> workstation.

I have frequently welcomed this on networked systems.

(a) Every now and again the program I am interacting with gets into
a state in which I can't do anything from the keyboard. By logging
in "round the back" I can kill the offending process, and continue
normally. Without this I'd have to re-boot, a slower procedure that
would also kill other background jobs, that were running quite
happily on my machine, etc.

(b) My secretary, who needs only to access a text editor, read mail,
give print commands, etc. can plug a VDU into the back of my
machine, log in, and work happily without my even noticing any
disturbance.

(c) In a team where we are developing software on networked machines
of different sorts, it is convenient for me to log in to my
colleague's machine upstairs without leaving my desk, in order to
check out how something runs on his machine and not mine.

(d) When I log into our network via a terminal from home, it
enables me to log into the machine on my desk in order to work from
home.

(e) One of my colleagues has a workstation that is quite a bit
faster than mine. When he is not using it, I can log through to his
machine and do some things faster. One of my students normally uses
a slower machine than mine. I let him log into my machine when I am
not using it, without having to give him the key to my office.

(f) When I have a problem I can't sort out, I can sometimes phone or
email a member of our systems support staff who then logs in to my
machine via the network and fixes it, without having to leave
his/her office.

etc. etc.

(Some of these points assume an integrated file-store accessible
from several machines via NFS.)

In my experience the people who can't imagine why they would want
a multi-user machine on their desk are mostly people who have never
had the good fortune to have one.

However, I agree with the previous commentator (from Sweden?) who
implied that for most multi-user networked environments the
cost-effective way of the future (taking into account hardware
costs, management costs, and the cost over several years of giving
all users more and more speed and memory as the technology improves)
is NOT going to be based on workstations, but on something like X
terminals linked to very powerful, easily upgradeable, symmetric
multi-processor CPU/memory/file servers.

There will be a few kinds of users for whom workstations are a
better solution, but only a minority in most organisations.

However, the arguments in support of this view are somewhat
complicated, and in my experience many people don't understand them
because they are hung up with memories of time-sharing in the 1970s,
or they complain that network traffic will be too high because they
are hung up with problems of diskless workstations doing too much
swapping, paging and context switching over their existing network!

I suppose this is relevant to comp.arch only in the sense of being
concerned with the architecture of a computing service?

Aaron Sloman,
School of Cognitive and Computing Sciences,
Univ of Sussex, Brighton, BN1 9QH, England
    EMAIL   aarons@cogs.sussex.ac.uk

gould@pilot.njin.net (Brian Jay Gould) writes:

> Date: 13 Dec 90 20:26:01 GMT
>
> I can't understand why someone would want multi-user support on their desktop
> workstation.

  Security is one reason. Not only the security of having a login
password required, but the security of being able to have several
logins, all for myself, which represent various things I'm doing on that
computer, each protected from the other to an extent *I* determine.

  For someone who never makes a mistake, this feature is useless. If you
always keep every file in the correct subdirectory, never delete the
wrong file, etc, then multiuser support will only get in your way. If
you are a normal human being you may appreciate having some serious
protection from yourself, and an ownership attribute attacted to the
file, not determined by the file or directory name.

So on most of my "single user" machines I am:

	root	for backups and major stuff
	uumaint	for configuring uucp stuff
	news	for configuring news
	local	owns /usr/local/bin and source
	bill	for general stuff
	testit	for testing new software
and then extra logins for any large projects which might need to be
handled separately from my general work.

  And it is comforting to test new software in a separate login, knowing
that stupidity and malice will both effect only the test id (unless it
uses a gaping hole in the system).

  The ability to have the o/s keep things separate is a highly useful
feature, and just multitasking is not enough. Unless the filesystem and
processes are protected against bad behavior, there is always the
possibility of a small problem turning into a disaster.
    VMS is a text-only adventure game. If you win you can use unix.

jcb@frisbee.Eng.Sun.COM (Jim Becker) (01/03/91)

ed@dah.sub.org (Ed Braaten) writes:

    In article <PETE.90Dec17141012@csc-sun.mckinsey.com> pete@csc-sun.mckinsey.com (Peter Gaston) writes:

     >Ok, there's been lots of religious ramblings against OS/2.  Personally
     >I feel that most people aren't keen for IBM for whatever reason.

     >What I'd like to know, does anyone have a fact base pro/con for
     >OS/2, esp. w/ regard to it's prime competitor, Unix (and future
     >derivatives).

    I don't think OS/2's prime competitor is Unix, but rather Windows 3.0
    and its successor...  ;-)

Windows 3.0 runs along with OS/2, so I don't see how they can compete.

I also don't see how  UnixWorld  (Current)  and  the  New  York  Times
(Sept24th)  can show Windows competing against DOS and OS/2 for market
share, but who am I to question journalists.. :-)

    (this is from elsewhere)

    >PCs have survived rather well along with the rest of the world. In
    >fact, the latest stats and projections (Sept 24, 1990 issue of New
    >York Times) show operating system market share as:

    >Year	DOS	UNIX	Windows	OS/2
    >1987	88.2	2.6	 2.3	 0.3
    >1989	75.0	2.3	14.5	 1.7
    >1994	43.2	7.6	28.7	13.5

It  seems  that  OS/2 is going to be positioned against Unix, and it's
odds of success are probably increasing as  time  goes  on.  (Personal
opinion.)

-Jim Becker

	 Jim Becker / jcb%frisbee@sun.com  / Sun Microsystems

davel@booboo.SanDiego.NCR.COM (David Lord) (01/04/91)

Various people write:

<<     I don't think OS/2's prime competitor is Unix, but rather Windows 3.0
<<     and its successor...  ;-)
<<
< Windows 3.0 runs along with OS/2, so I don't see how they can compete.

  This remains to be seen I think. Microsoft seems to be hedging a bit lately
  on Windows compatiblity mode under OS/2. I'm not considering running
  Windows in a DOS window here.

< I also don't see how  UnixWorld  (Current)  and  the  New  York  Times
< (Sept24th)  can show Windows competing against DOS and OS/2 for market
< share, but who am I to question journalists.. :-)

  They are, in a way, competing environments, that is a program is written
  to run under DOS, or Windows, or OS/2. Admittedly since Windows requires
  DOS you might want to think of it more as a competition between a
  parasite and its host. (-:

<     >PCs have survived rather well along with the rest of the world. In
<     >fact, the latest stats and projections (Sept 24, 1990 issue of New
<     >York Times) show operating system market share as:
<
<     >Year	DOS	UNIX	Windows	OS/2
<     >1987	88.2	2.6	 2.3	 0.3
<     >1989	75.0	2.3	14.5	 1.7
<     >1994	43.2	7.6	28.7	13.5

  It seems hardly fair to compare number of systems between Unix and these
  others since Unix supports more users per system. Better comparisons
  might be number of users, costs of systems, or total amount of useful work
  done on the system (try to calculate that!).

< It  seems  that  OS/2 is going to be positioned against Unix, and it's
< odds of success are probably increasing as  time  goes  on.  (Personal
< opinion.)

  This as been said before but there is only a portion of the Unix market
  that OS/2 can compete for. Unix is first and foremost a multiuser operating
  system and OS/2 can't touch that market. An advantage Unix has over OS/2
  in the single user market is that it allows you to run the same system on
  your little machines as on your big machines. To me that seems like a
  fairly significant advantage.

schow@bcarh185.bnr.ca (Stanley T.H. Chow) (01/04/91)

In some article, someone quoted from the NY Times:
>      the latest stats and projections (Sept 24, 1990 issue of New
>York Times) show operating system market share as:

>Year	  DOS	 UNIX	 Windows 	OS/2
>1987 	88.2	  2.6	   2.3	    0.3
>1989	 75.0	  2.3	  14.5	    1.7
>1994	 43.2	  7.6	  28.7   	13.5

Interesting projections. Windows sales went up by over a factor of 6 in 2 years,
but is project only to grow a factor of 2 in the next 5 years. On the other hand,
Unix *drops* 10% in 2 years, but is projected to grow a factor of almost 3 in
the next 5 years.

Does this mean they expect spectacular Unix sales in 1994 - the tenth running year
of "this is the year when Unix takes off?"

Stanley Chow        BitNet:  schow@BNR.CA
BNR		    UUCP:    ..!uunet!bnrgate!bcarh185!schow
(613) 763-2831               ..!psuvax1!BNR.CA.bitnet!schow
Me? Represent other people? Don't make them laugh so hard.

carroll@ssc-vax (Jeff Carroll) (01/11/91)

In article <5150@exodus.Eng.Sun.COM> jcb@frisbee.Eng.Sun.COM (Jim Becker) writes:
>ed@dah.sub.org (Ed Braaten) writes:

>Windows 3.0 runs along with OS/2, so I don't see how they can compete.
>
>I also don't see how  UnixWorld  (Current)  and  the  New  York  Times
>(Sept24th)  can show Windows competing against DOS and OS/2 for market
>share, but who am I to question journalists.. :-)

	I think I saw the UnixWorld article, or something like it.
	One possible way of understanding this is to remember that
	lots of DOS people were exposed to pre-3.0 Windows, and thus
	might not want to have anything to do with Windows, ever
	again. Then there are the people who have, use, and like
	such things as Desqview.

	Jeff Carroll
	carroll@atc.boeing.com
	(uunet!?)uw-beaver!ssc-vax!carroll

dhesi%cirrusl@oliveb.ATC.olivetti.com (Rahul Dhesi) (01/12/91)

In <3859@bnr-rsc.UUCP> schow@bcarh185.bnr.ca (Stanley T.H. Chow) writes:

>>operating system market share...

"Market share" is a dangerous term.  If you compare n systems running a
multiuser OS, each supporting 50 users, and m systems running a
single-user OS, each supporting 1 user, how do you define market
share?

I have 4 different machines at home, running various combinations of
MS-DOS and UNIX.  How do you calculate my contribution to "market
share"?  Do you count me as four systems, or as one?  One user, or
four?

Those statistics can prove anything.  Don't forget:  80% of people
surveyed believe that they are above average in intelligence.
--
History never         |   Rahul Dhesi <dhesi%cirrusl@oliveb.ATC.olivetti.com>
becomes obsolete.     |   UUCP:  oliveb!cirrusl!dhesi

det@hawkmoon.MN.ORG (Derek E. Terveer) (01/15/91)

dhesi%cirrusl@oliveb.ATC.olivetti.com (Rahul Dhesi) writes:

>In <3859@bnr-rsc.UUCP> schow@bcarh185.bnr.ca (Stanley T.H. Chow) writes:

>>>operating system market share...

>"Market share" is a dangerous term.  [..]
>I have 4 different machines at home, running various combinations of
>MS-DOS and UNIX.  How do you calculate my contribution to "market
>share"?  Do you count me as four systems, or as one?  One user, or
>four?

Messy-dos proponents count you as four users; Unix proponents count you as
four users.

>Those statistics can prove anything.  Don't forget:  80% of people
>surveyed believe that they are above average in intelligence.
				      ^^^^^^^
mean, mode, or median ???

(sorry, couldn't resist that -- just shows another way of lying with stats)

Ps.  I'm one of the 80%, but i won't tell you what kind of average (:-)
--
Derek "Tigger" Terveer	det@hawkmoon.MN.ORG - MNFHA, NCS - UMN Women's Lax, MWD
I am the way and the truth and the light, I know all the answers; don't need