[comp.arch] DOS and UNIX

croft@csusac.csus.edu (Steve Croft) (01/16/91)

 Jim Giles writes:
>Really?  I've been looking all over for such things.  The only ones I've
>found are migrants _from_ MS-DOS.  Usually they run slower than their
>PC counterparts.

Where do you get your information?  I have seen three ports to UNIX from DOS,
and they *fly*!  This includes 1-2-3, WordPerfect, and AutoCAD (all on
Sun SPARCStations).  About 2-3 times as fast (even more with AutoCAD).
I can remember using PageMaker on DOS and thing was very slow!  I have
not had that problem with FrameMaker on Sun.

>The problem was, in order to port to UNIX they rewrote in C.
Ow!  You open up a whole new can of worms here!  The ole "if it's not in
assembly language, it *must* be slower" attitude...  jeez!

Steve