[comp.arch] Sun != Open Archtecture

johnm@cup.portal.com (John - Madison) (12/14/90)

Assertion:  Sun is retreating from the idea of Open Systems.

Consider:
- Sun has decided *not* to provide future versions of SunOS to clone
makers.  They will instead be forced to buy System V from ATT.   This
will allow Sun to produce proprietary systems and claim that the clone
manufacturers are not compatible.

- Sun has been aggressively unbundling software like the C compiler,
OS improvements, and such.  Further, they *prohibit* you from buying
the unbundled Sun products and running them on a clone.  Not supporting
such products is one thing, but a blanket prohibition is clearly aimed
at the clone makers.

- Sun is providing marginal support for SBus card manufacturers.  While
publishing specs and claiming that it is fully open, their technical
support leaves a lot to be desired.  In addition, Sun has recently been
pretty aggressive in competing with third party SBus card manufacturers
and has been developing products to skim the cream by claiming the best
selling cards for themselves.  Most SBus developers are small companies
and need the revenue from high volume cards to plow back into r&d.
Taking this market away from them will insure that no SBus developers
grows to be very large, and may well discourage many third party
developers.  After all, if you had an idea for a card, would you
develop and market it, if you thought that Sun would jump into the
market as soon as you demonstrated the concept?

According to (unnamed for obvious reasons) marketing people at Sun,
they are very concerned about clone makers, both at the low and high
end, and are trying to figure out ways to frustrate them.   Instead of
standard approaches like faster machines, lower prices, and better
support, they are using legal strategies like jerking the vendors
around on licensing.  If you want to learn the novel forms of
competitive advantage that Sun is seeking, talk to Solborne or Auspex.

In conclusion: when Sun was small, they supported open systems since it
was a good tool to compete against larger, closed systems. Now that
they are much larger and more able to set the standards, they have no
more incentive to support truly open systems than any other company.
Open Systems has gone from a strategy to a vapid marketing slogan.

chuck@trantor.harris-atd.com (Chuck Musciano) (12/14/90)

In article <36911@cup.portal.com>, johnm@cup.portal.com (John - Madison) writes:
> Assertion:  Sun is retreating from the idea of Open Systems.
>
> Consider:
> - Sun has decided *not* to provide future versions of SunOS to clone
> makers.  They will instead be forced to buy System V from ATT.   This
> will allow Sun to produce proprietary systems and claim that the clone
> manufacturers are not compatible.

     But Sun will be running SVr4 themselves.  They are pretty much locked
into SVr4, and in fact, SunOS 5.0 will be SVr4.  So why shouldn't the
clones get SVr4 from the real source, USL, instead of Sun?  Sun has no
obligation to support clone makers.  All they did was create a market where
cloners could compete.  They don't have to make it easy for them.

> - Sun has been aggressively unbundling software like the C compiler,
> OS improvements, and such.  Further, they *prohibit* you from buying
> the unbundled Sun products and running them on a clone.  Not supporting
> such products is one thing, but a blanket prohibition is clearly aimed
> at the clone makers.

     I hate to see the compiler completely unbundled, which is a mistake.
But again, what obligation does Sun have to a clone maker?  How technical
support does IBM give Compaq?  Also, can you cite the licensing agreement
which restricts Sun products to Sun hardware?  Perhaps there is a market for
clones of unbundled Sun software!

> - Sun is providing marginal support for SBus card manufacturers.  While
> publishing specs and claiming that it is fully open, their technical
> support leaves a lot to be desired.  In addition, Sun has recently been
> pretty aggressive in competing with third party SBus card manufacturers
> and has been developing products to skim the cream by claiming the best
> selling cards for themselves.  Most SBus developers are small companies
> and need the revenue from high volume cards to plow back into r&d.
> Taking this market away from them will insure that no SBus developers
> grows to be very large, and may well discourage many third party
> developers.  After all, if you had an idea for a card, would you
> develop and market it, if you thought that Sun would jump into the
> market as soon as you demonstrated the concept?

     If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.  Sun has no
obligation to not compete in the SBus market, nor do they have an obligation
to support all SBus vendors.  The fact that more than 100 SBus cards are
already available seems to show that small companies can compete in the
SBus market.

> According to (unnamed for obvious reasons) marketing people at Sun,
> they are very concerned about clone makers, both at the low and high
> end, and are trying to figure out ways to frustrate them.   Instead of
> standard approaches like faster machines, lower prices, and better
> support, they are using legal strategies like jerking the vendors
> around on licensing.  If you want to learn the novel forms of
> competitive advantage that Sun is seeking, talk to Solborne or Auspex.

     Sun should be concerned, and if I were Sun, I'd do everything I can
to compete and succeed.  You seem to think that Sun should roll over and
give up market share to clone vendors.  To be honest, I'm seeing faster
machines, lower prices, and better support from Sun.  And in this day and
age, I can't blame them from using legal tactics, too.

> In conclusion: when Sun was small, they supported open systems since it
> was a good tool to compete against larger, closed systems. Now that
> they are much larger and more able to set the standards, they have no
> more incentive to support truly open systems than any other company.
> Open Systems has gone from a strategy to a vapid marketing slogan.

     The point of open systems is to foster a market where software runs
everywhere, and people buy systems because of perceived advantages from their
vendor.  A company that produces a SPARC 1+ knockoff with no distinct
differences from existing Sun (or other) products deserves to die, because
they are not differentiating themselves in the market place.  Sun doesn't
owe anyone a free ride.  Only truly innovative companies will win a market
niche.  There may be 42 SPARC clone vendors right now, but you can be sure
there won't be in two years.  Only companies like Solbourne (multiprocessing),
Toshiba (laptops), Matsushita (multi-media), FPS (supercomputing) and maybe
Mars or RDI (PC and Mac compatibility) will survive this very cut-throat
marketplace.

     Of course, if you don't like the way Sun does business, switch to any
other vendor who has over 150,000 installed RISC systems (and expects 250,000
by June '91 and 1,000,000 by Dec '92), a thriving clone market, 3,000 available
applications, and a 40% market share. :-)

--

Chuck Musciano				ARPA  : chuck@trantor.harris-atd.com
Harris Corporation 			Usenet: ...!uunet!x102a!trantor!chuck

A good newspaper is never good enough,
	but a lousy newspaper is a joy forever.		-- Garrison Keillor

croft@csusac.csus.edu (Steve Croft) (12/14/90)

The other points may be valid, but I don't think the fact that Sun will
not license their OS anymore is not a sign of "un-openess".  Starting
with SVR4, Sun will be basically "adding value" to the AT&T product, just
like any other UNIX vendor.  So Sun will now require that clone makers
buy UNIX from AT&T and add their own value (which several are doing).

And just because clone makers won't have access to the features that
Sun adds, doesn't mean they can't compete.  There are several areas
in the OS that can be done better than the way Sun did it.

As for the general feeling that Sun is getting scared of the clone
makers... well, they *better* be!  :)

Steve
stevec@water.ca.gov

lamson@sierra.crd.ge.com (scott h lamson) (12/14/90)

>From: chuck@trantor.harris-atd.com (Chuck Musciano)

>  Also, can you cite the licensing agreement
>which restricts Sun products to Sun hardware?  Perhaps there is a market for

Last I heard, Sun had exclusive marketing rights to Lucid Lisp for
SPARC architectures, but refused to sell it to Solbourne customers.
They seem to want it both ways here.  Lisp is a third party software
product.  Also Sun refused to sell SunPhigs, a Sun product, to
Solbourne customers.  The license agreement is VERY specific to SUN
hardware, not SPARC hardware.

--
        Scott|  ARPA:      lamson@crd.ge.com
       Lamson|  UUCP:      uunet!crd.ge.com!lamson

In article <5089@trantor.harris-atd.com> chuck@trantor.harris-atd.com (Chuck Musciano) writes:
>... A company that produces a SPARC 1+ knockoff with no distinct
>differences from existing Sun (or other) products deserves to die, because
>they are not differentiating themselves in the market place...

Nonsense.  Differentiation can be done on things like price, support,
quality, bundled software, and the like rather than on the shape of
the box.  That's how the free market works in other areas.  It could
really stand to work this way in SPARCs, too.
--
"The average pointer, statistically,    |Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
points somewhere in X." -Hugh Redelmeier| henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry

prc@erbe.se (Robert Claeson) (12/17/90)

In article <5089@trantor.harris-atd.com> chuck@trantor.harris-atd.com (Chuck Musciano) writes:

>In article <36911@cup.portal.com>, johnm@cup.portal.com (John - Madison) writes:

>> - Sun has decided *not* to provide future versions of SunOS to clone
>> makers.  They will instead be forced to buy System V from ATT.   This
>> will allow Sun to produce proprietary systems and claim that the clone
>> manufacturers are not compatible.

>     But Sun will be running SVr4 themselves.  They are pretty much locked
>into SVr4, and in fact, SunOS 5.0 will be SVr4.

As Sun will tell you if you ask, their SVR4 o/s will be *based* on SVR4,
but will also contain numerous proprietary extensions "to ensure our
leadership". Also, the SPARC version of SVR4 that anyone can license from
AT&T will not have the SunOS 4.x compatibility support built-in. Clone
vendors will have to construct that part themselves, if they want to be
able to run programs from SunOS.

--
Robert Claeson                  |Reasonable mailers: rclaeson@erbe.se
ERBE DATA AB                    |      Dumb mailers: rclaeson%erbe.se@sunet.se

pjg@acsu.buffalo.edu (Paul Graham) (12/17/90)

johnm@cup.portal.com (John - Madison) writes:
|Assertion:  Sun is retreating from the idea of Open Systems.
|- Sun has decided *not* to provide future versions of SunOS to clone
|makers.

sun asserts that the sparc compliance definition solves this problem.
if this is true (i.e. scd is as good as posix) why buy unix v rel. 4
from sun?

|- Sun has been aggressively unbundling software like the C compiler,
|OS improvements, and such.  Further, they *prohibit* you from buying
|the unbundled Sun products and running them on a clone.

this is unpleasant (i still have yet to carefully read a recent
software license). since they've suggested they'll soon completely
unbundle the compiler the question is: should cloners try to license the
compiler or use gnu?

[sun is using legalisms rather than technical superiority to get sales]
|If you want to learn the novel forms of
|competitive advantage that Sun is seeking, talk to Solborne or Auspex.

solbourne negotiated a contract with sun.  if they failed to do a good
enough job one can hardly blame sun.  (sun's current motto is: we enable
compatibles, we don't support them.)

i can't speak on the hardware issues but i'll check back in a year.
however one could compare sun with dec.

i could go on at length about this but i feel it more properly belongs
in alt.sys.sun or the info-solbourne mailing list (sorry no info-tatung et.al.).

--
pjg@acsu.buffalo.edu / rutgers!ub!pjg / pjg@ubvms (Bitnet)
opinions found above are mine unless marked otherwise.

dlp@zule.EBay.Sun.COM (Dan Pritchett) (12/18/90)

In article <1990Dec16.222542.28236@erbe.se> prc@erbe.se (Robert Claeson) writes:
   >     But Sun will be running SVr4 themselves.  They are pretty much locked
   >into SVr4, and in fact, SunOS 5.0 will be SVr4.

   As Sun will tell you if you ask, their SVR4 o/s will be *based* on SVR4,
   but will also contain numerous proprietary extensions "to ensure our
   leadership". Also, the SPARC version of SVR4 that anyone can license from
   AT&T will not have the SunOS 4.x compatibility support built-in. Clone
   vendors will have to construct that part themselves, if they want to be
   able to run programs from SunOS.

Few of our users buy our systems to run only the software available in
the Sun Price List. Most buy additional software from ISV's that are
available on SPARC. These ISV's will have no incentive to target their
applications to the compatibility mode of SunOS/SVR4 when they can use
the SPARC ABI (SVR4 + SCD) and hit all of the SPARC platforms
including ours. The compatibility with SunOS 4.x is like the
OpenWindows compatibility with SunView. It lets users get on the new
platform immediately and bring along their applications from the prior
release as until they are available on the new platform.

This is of course my opinion and does not represent an official
statement of policy from my employer.
--

Dan Pritchett                      | ARPA/Internet: dlp@zule.EBay.Sun.COM
Sun Federal System Engineer        | UUCP:          ...!sun!dlp

In article <1990Dec16.222542.28236@erbe.se> prc@erbe.se (Robert Claeson) writes:

|              Also, the SPARC version of SVR4 that anyone can license from
| AT&T will not have the SunOS 4.x compatibility support built-in. Clone
| vendors will have to construct that part themselves, if they want to be
| able to run programs from SunOS.

  I'm led to believe that's correct. However, while total binary
compatibility may not be there for programs using SunOS extensions, I am
told that Sun will use the SPARC ABI, and that applications written for
generic SPARC will run on SunOS as well as V.4 from other vendors.

  I've been able to take a reasonable number of programs from a Sun to
386 V.4 in source, so the prudent vendor will probably pass on Sun
extensions unless they provide a large performance bonus.
    VMS is a text-only adventure game. If you win you can use unix.

root@lingua.cltr.uq.OZ.AU (Hulk Hogan) (12/19/90)

chuck@trantor.harris-atd.com (Chuck Musciano) writes:
>In article <36911@cup.portal.com>, johnm@cup.portal.com (John - Madison) writes:
>> Assertion:  Sun is retreating from the idea of Open Systems.
>> Consider:
>> - Sun has been aggressively unbundling software like the C compiler,
>> OS improvements, and such.  Further, they *prohibit* you from buying
>> the unbundled Sun products and running them on a clone.  Not supporting
>> such products is one thing, but a blanket prohibition is clearly aimed
>> at the clone makers.
>     I hate to see the compiler completely unbundled, which is a mistake.
>But again, what obligation does Sun have to a clone maker?  How technical
>support does IBM give Compaq?  Also, can you cite the licensing agreement
>which restricts Sun products to Sun hardware?  Perhaps there is a market for
>clones of unbundled Sun software!

Our local Sun salesman said a couple of weeks ago that we would not be
able to run the unbundled Sun products (C compiler etc etc) on our
Solbourne.  Period.  To do some would violate the legal stuff. Even
if we bought and located the binaries on a SPARCserver 2 and NFS mounted
the binaries on the Solbourne.  The only way would be if we suggested
to our dealers [to get Solbourne] to license the software from Sun...

I believe that Solbourne have a five year agreement with Sun which allows
Solbourne to obtain SunOS's and be 100% compatible.  Our Solbourne salesman
indicated that the Solbourne version of SunOS (called OS/MP) would be
approximately 90 days behind Suns.  In recent times, this seems to have
blown out to a *huge* delay, but probably has been compounded by the
Symmetric Multiprocessing additions to SunOS that Solbourne are working on.
I have heard whispers that this is because Sun has been delaying the
handing over of the OS to Solbourne, but this is *only* rumour and if I am
captured, I will disavow any knowledge of it.  Regardless, the unbundling
of the OS is effectively creating two SunOS's, a "devalued" SunOS for clone
users, and the "real" SunOS for genuine Sun users.  This is a *really* nice
way for Sun to treat companies who license their OS.  Really makes them
want to license the unbundled tools I'd say.

It was funny how at the SPARCstation 2 announcement, the speaker said
how Sun was a single OS, single architecture (SPARC) company.  Yeah,
right. Funny how our 386i and 3/60 don't run the same binaries...

/\ndy
--
Andrew M. Jones,  Systems Programmer, 	Internet: andy@lingua.cltr.uq.oz.au
Centre for Lang. Teaching & Research, 	Phone (Australia):  (07) 365 6915

croft@csusac.csus.edu (Steve Croft) (12/19/90)

In article <1990Dec19.024945.12335@lingua.cltr.uq.OZ.AU> root@lingua.cltr.uq.OZ.AU (Hulk Hogan) writes:
>It was funny how at the SPARCstation 2 announcement, the speaker said
>how Sun was a single OS, single architecture (SPARC) company.  Yeah,
>right. Funny how our 386i and 3/60 don't run the same binaries...

Sun has discontinued the 386i and the Sun3 lines.  The last day they
accepted orders was 12/14/90.

Steve
stevec@water.ca.gov

prc@erbe.se (Robert Claeson) (12/29/90)

In article <1990Dec19.024945.12335@lingua.cltr.uq.OZ.AU> root@lingua.cltr.uq.OZ.AU (Hulk Hogan) writes:

>It was funny how at the SPARCstation 2 announcement, the speaker said
>how Sun was a single OS, single architecture (SPARC) company.  Yeah,
>right. Funny how our 386i and 3/60 don't run the same binaries...

Heh. Remeber the good 'ole days when Sun told you that a company that
did offer only one architecture just wanted to lock customers in? Funny
how fast things change...

--

don@zl2tnm.gp.co.nz (Don Stokes) (12/30/90)

prc@erbe.se (Robert Claeson) writes:

> Heh. Remeber the good 'ole days when Sun told you that a company that
> did offer only one architecture just wanted to lock customers in? Funny
> how fast things change...

Hmmm.  Funny too how the company that offered one 32-bit architecture
has been selling more 16 bitters, even introducing the odd new model,
the whole time, and is now selling RISC boxes.......

Don Stokes, ZL2TNM  /  /                             don@zl2tnm.gp.co.nz (home)
Systems Programmer /GP/ GP PRINT LIMITED  Wellington,       don@gp.co.nz (work)
__________________/  / ----------------   New_Zealand__________________________

gerard@tscs.uucp (Stephen M. Gerard) (01/05/91)

In article <1990Dec28.224236.5163@erbe.se> prc@erbe.se (Robert Claeson) writes:
>In article <1990Dec19.024945.12335@lingua.cltr.uq.OZ.AU> root@lingua.cltr.uq.OZ.AU (Hulk Hogan) writes:
>
>>It was funny how at the SPARCstation 2 announcement, the speaker said
>>how Sun was a single OS, single architecture (SPARC) company.  Yeah,
>>right. Funny how our 386i and 3/60 don't run the same binaries...
>
>Heh. Remeber the good 'ole days when Sun told you that a company that
>did offer only one architecture just wanted to lock customers in? Funny
>how fast things change...

From what I have heard 90% of Sun's business is SPARC.  I doubt that any
of us could afford to buy any other architecture from them unless the
government starts subsidizing manufacturer's to produce architectures
that the market place does not want to buy.

Sun tried to continue the 680X0 product line with the 3/80 and tried to
enter the 80X86 product line with the 386i.  They did their part, it was
us consumers who failed to maintain Sun's multi-architecture support
by not purchasing sufficient quantities of their newer non-SPARC machines
for them to justify making them.

Just my 2 cents...

-Steve

Stephen Gerard  -  Total Support Computer Systems  -  Tampa  -  (813) 876-5990
UUCP: gerard@tscs					   FAX: (813) 871-2783
US-MAIL: Post Office Box 15395 - Tampa, Florida  33684-5395

johnm@cup.portal.com (John - Madison) (01/07/91)

>Sun tried to continue the 680X0 product line with the 3/80 and tried to
>enter the 80X86 product line with the 386i.  They did their part, it was
>us consumers who failed to maintain Sun's multi-architecture support
>by not purchasing sufficient quantities of their newer non-SPARC machines
>for them to justify making them.

The Sun 3/80 was a miserable machine.   Among its fault were:
	- it was slower than the machine it replaced, the 3/60.
	- although it used the same package as the SPARCstation, it
	  did not use the SBUs.  Instead, it used 3/60 daughterboards,
	  and you could only install one board per machine.   This
	  was a proprietary standard, and nobody but Sun used it.
	- it was *very* late.  Sun was about the last company to start
	  shipping 68030 products.

The 386 shipped large numbers of machines.   The real problem was that
Sun could not produce a 486 based machine.   The problems included:
	- an OS that had diverged from SunOS for the other platforms, so
	  that integration of newly developed OS features was increasingly
	  difficult.
	- an inability to actually get UNIX to run on the 486.  This was
	  blamed by Sun engineers on bugs in the 486 chip, but this seems
	  unlikely.
	- an unannounced, but widely leaked, plan to stop porting new OS
	  versions to the 486, because of these reasons.

Also, don't forget the 3/360 (or whatever it was numbered), the vme
68030 system.  It too was late and enormously expensive.  The cpu board
was loaded with expensive chips and never did work right.

Sun could easily have saved the 68xxx family by producing a better
desktop machine and a lower cost, more highly integrated vme machine.
They didn't.  It is tempting to claim that this was a preplanned
strategy to migrate customers to SPARC, but the actual reason is
a combination of engineering blunders and management stupidity.  If
Sun founder Andy Bechtolsheim hadn't spent $200,000 of his own
money to develop the SPARCstation, Sun would be in big trouble right now.

Sun's "all the wood behind one arrow" slogan is just a recognition that
they burned all the other ones.

In article <37681@cup.portal.com> johnm@cup.portal.com (John - Madison) writes:

| Sun's "all the wood behind one arrow" slogan is just a recognition that
| they burned all the other ones.

  I've had that discussion with Sun people on a number of topics, most
recently OpenLook vs. MOTIF. I told them that it didn't matter how much
wood was behind the arrowhead if they missed the target. I assume that
this is a matter of religious belief to some highly placed person at
Sun, since they have read the market correctly on a lot of other things.

In article <1991Jan5.135651.486@tscs.uucp> gerard@tscs.UUCP (Stephen M. Gerard) writes:
>Sun tried to continue the 680X0 product line with the 3/80 and tried to
>enter the 80X86 product line with the 386i.  They did their part, it was
>us consumers who failed to maintain Sun's multi-architecture support
>by not purchasing sufficient quantities ...

In other contexts this is known as "blaming the victim".
--
If the Space Shuttle was the answer,   | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
what was the question?                 |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry

fischer@iesd.auc.dk (Lars P. Fischer) (01/08/91)

Bill>   I've had that discussion with Sun people on a number of topics, most
Bill> recently OpenLook vs. MOTIF. I told them that it didn't matter how much
Bill> wood was behind the arrowhead if they missed the target. I assume that
Bill> this is a matter of religious belief to some highly placed person at
Bill> Sun, since they have read the market correctly on a lot of other things.

That's contrary to what Bill Joy says all the time -- at the UNIX Expo
in Stockholm last year he said that Sun would deliver whatever the
market wants. If OS/2 becomes a winner (god forbid :-), we'll have
OS/2 on our SPARCstation. He even looked sincere.

But then, they're going to play there cards as long as it's not clear
it's a loosing hand. The OPEN LOOK vs. Motif thing isn't over yet.
Note that a number of companies, besides AT&T and Sun, have recently
come out with new machines running OPEN LOOK as standard.

Followups directed to comp.windows.open-look.

/Lars
--
Lars Fischer,  fischer@iesd.auc.dk   | Q: How does a project get to be one
CS Dept., Univ. of Aalborg, DENMARK. | year late?     A: One day at a time.

johnm@cup.portal.com (John - Madison) (01/08/91)

>  I've had that discussion with Sun people on a number of topics, most
>recently OpenLook vs. MOTIF. I told them that it didn't matter how much
>wood was behind the arrowhead if they missed the target. I assume that
>this is a matter of religious belief to some highly placed person at
>Sun, since they have read the market correctly on a lot of other things.

Yep, it is a matter of religion with mcnealy, the president.  He has
publically stated that Sun will support Motif when "hell freezes over,"
or words to that effect.  Open Look vs. Motif is no longer a rational
issue for Sun management, if indeed it ever was.

pcg@aber-cs.UUCP (Piercarlo Grandi) (01/10/91)

In article <1991Jan5.135651.486@tscs.uucp> gerard@tscs.UUCP (Stephen M. Gerard) writes:

  Sun tried to continue the 680X0 product line with the 3/80 and tried to
  enter the 80X86 product line with the 386i.  They did their part, it was
  us consumers who failed to maintain Sun's multi-architecture support by
  not purchasing sufficient quantities ...

Actually (rumour mongering here) the 386/486 SUNs were killed off by SUN
because they were technically competitive with the SPARC machines, and this
was embarassing ("they would not fit with corporate strategy"). It helped
that they were the effort of the East Coast SUN operation.

Of course one must also consider that between paying $1000 for a 486 CPU or
probably something like $100 for a SPARC chipset, and sell a workstation at
the same price, SUN would rather keep the $900 "value added" that Intel
wants for themselves...

That $900 "value added" that Intel does not want to split with their OEMs is
probably a good reason behind CompuAdd and others starting to sell SPARC
based PCs. $900 out of $5000 seems a hefty premium for a CPU.
--
Piercarlo Grandi                   | ARPA: pcg%uk.ac.aber.cs@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
Dept of CS, UCW Aberystwyth        | UUCP: ...!mcsun!ukc!aber-cs!pcg

In article <2199@aber-cs.UUCP> pcg@cs.aber.ac.uk (Piercarlo Grandi) writes:

| Of course one must also consider that between paying $1000 for a 486 CPU or
| probably something like $100 for a SPARC chipset, and sell a workstation at
| the same price, SUN would rather keep the $900 "value added" that Intel
| wants for themselves...

  Is that the correct price?  $100 sounds cheaper than any price I've
heard for a 486 equivalent chipset.

  Who sells the CPU, FPU, cache and controller for $100?
    VMS is a text-only adventure game. If you win you can use unix.

>Actually (rumour mongering here) the 386/486 SUNs were killed off by SUN
>because they were technically competitive with the SPARC machines,

"Technically competitive" in what sense?  The 25 MHz 386 machine, at
least on the Stanford integer benchmarks, was about as fast as the
Sun-3/2xx (25 MHz 68020 machine); it was faster on the Stanford
floating-point benchmarks than the 3/2xx on which I tried the
benchmarks, but the 3/2xx machine had only a 68881, not an FPA.  (All
compilation was done with "-O", which at the time invoked just the
peephole optimizer on both machines; the global optimizer wasn't
available on the 386, and it sped things up by about 20% on the 68020.)
I forget how well the 4/280 on which I tried them did with "-O1", but I
think that even without the global optimizer, it was at least
competitive, and probably better.

I think the 386i also had some performance problems with its disk
controller.

The 486 machine might have been more competitive.

jgk@osc.COM (Joe Keane) (01/12/91)

In article <37704@cup.portal.com> johnm@cup.portal.com (John - Madison) writes:
>Yep, it is a matter of religion with mcnealy, the president.  He has
>publically stated that Sun will support Motif when "hell freezes over,"
>or words to that effect.  Open Look vs. Motif is no longer a rational
>issue for Sun management, if indeed it ever was.

Sun is behaving like a spoiled brat in this case.  Part of the problem is that
they missed the boat and spent a lot of time on NeWS and SunWindows, which
people didn't really want it.  Maybe they should learn that just because you
have more engineers doesn't make people want your product.  You can argue the
technical merits X vs. NeWS vs. SunView, but the main point is that Sun got
shut multiple times.  Because of all this, they have decided to be perverse
and not give its customers what they want.

pcg@cs.aber.ac.uk (Piercarlo Grandi) (01/12/91)

On 10 Jan 91 13:58:51 GMT, davidsen@crdos1.crd.ge.COM (Wm E Davidsen Jr) said:

davidsen> In article <2199@aber-cs.UUCP> pcg@cs.aber.ac.uk (Piercarlo
davidsen> Grandi) writes:

davidsen> Of course one must also consider that between paying $1000 for
davidsen> a 486 CPU or probably something like $100 for a SPARC chipset,
davidsen> and sell a workstation at the same price, SUN would rather
davidsen> keep the $900 "value added" that Intel wants for themselves...

davidsen> Is that the correct price?  $100 sounds cheaper than any price
davidsen> I've heard for a 486 equivalent chipset.  Who sells the CPU,
davidsen> FPU, cache and controller for $100?

SUN to themselves (my estimate, as I wrote "probably something like",
but good chance that it is fairly accurate).

I am sure that Intel do not sell themselves the 486 for $1000 either.
$100 is another IMNHO good estimate there.

It all has to do with whom keeps the difference between "cost" and "what
the market will bear", doesn't it?
--
Piercarlo Grandi                   | ARPA: pcg%uk.ac.aber.cs@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
Dept of CS, UCW Aberystwyth        | UUCP: ...!mcsun!ukc!aber-cs!pcg

pcg@cs.aber.ac.uk (Piercarlo Grandi) (01/13/91)

On 11 Jan 91 18:16:29 GMT, guy@auspex.auspex.com (Guy Harris) said:

pcg> Actually (rumour mongering here) the 386/486 SUNs were killed off by SUN
pcg> because they were technically competitive with the SPARC machines,

guy> "Technically competitive" in what sense?  The 25 MHz 386 machine, at
guy> least on the Stanford integer benchmarks, was about as fast as the
guy> Sun-3/2xx (25 MHz 68020 machine); it was faster on the Stanford
guy> floating-point benchmarks than the 3/2xx on which I tried the
guy> benchmarks, but the 3/2xx machine had only a 68881, not an FPA.

The 386 machines had (slightly) better price/perfomance than the SUN 3s,
and they sold fairly well, being also DOS compatible, and with
"user-friendly" software, ...

The real problem was the 25Mhz 486 vs. the original SparcStation; the
performance roughly equivalent, with some edge for the 486 for certain
things.

Even worse, if you wanted to upgrade to a faster machine, you could
either junk your Sun3 and buy a SparcStation, or instead just upgrade
your SUN 386i to a SUN 486i (this upgrade was a well kept secret :-> and
I think is no longer available). OOPS! Major problem for Sun
marketdroids.

Eventually the Sun [34]84i were doomed, whatever their technical merits;
they were not Sun mainstream, and they used a microprocessor whose
"value added" went into Intel's, not Sun's, bottom line. Sun had no
reason to line Intel's pocket instead of their own.
--

dwf@acl.lanl.gov (Dave Forslund) (01/13/91)

In article <4139@osc.COM> jgk@osc.COM (Joe Keane) writes:
   Sun is behaving like a spoiled brat in this case.  Part of the problem is that
   they missed the boat and spent a lot of time on NeWS and SunWindows, which
   people didn't really want it.  Maybe they should learn that just because you
   have more engineers doesn't make people want your product.  You can argue the
   technical merits X vs. NeWS vs. SunView, but the main point is that Sun got
   shut multiple times.  Because of all this, they have decided to be perverse
   and not give its customers what they want.

Sun doesn't always give its customers what they want, but, from my
experience, they do a better job than most of the other vendors.  We
have almost no one around here is asking for Motif, e.g., or for that
matter, OSF/1.  SVR4 is favored by a lot of vendors and it comes with
Open Look, which is the most similar to SunView where the largest
chunk of the workstation market place is coming from.   Their
decisions seem pretty logical to me.

--
David Forslund
Advanced Computing Laboratory

Voice:(505) 665-1907
FAX: (505) 665-4939
EMAIL: dwf@lanl.gov

In article <PCG.91Jan12161251@teachk.cs.aber.ac.uk> pcg@cs.aber.ac.uk (Piercarlo Grandi) writes:

| Even worse, if you wanted to upgrade to a faster machine, you could
| either junk your Sun3 and buy a SparcStation, or instead just upgrade
| your SUN 386i to a SUN 486i (this upgrade was a well kept secret :-> and
| I think is no longer available). OOPS! Major problem for Sun
| marketdroids.

  Were any 486i's ever delivered? I started trying to get one in early
December 1989, to buy with money which went away at the end of the year,
and Sun couldn't find one. Later someone tried to order one (about May
1990) and couldn't get one for one reason or another.
    VMS is a text-only adventure game. If you win you can use unix.

>...or instead just upgrade your SUN 386i to a SUN 486i (this upgrade was
>a well kept secret :-> and I think is no longer available).

I don't think it ever *was* available....

curt@mischief.ecn.purdue.edu (Curt Freeland) (01/15/91)

guy@auspex.auspex.com (Guy Harris) writes:

>>...or instead just upgrade your SUN 386i to a SUN 486i (this upgrade was
>>a well kept secret :-> and I think is no longer available).

>I don't think it ever *was* available....

According to the Sun-3/Sun 386i Supplement to the US Price list
Effective August 1, 1990
Page 42 (Sun386i upgrades)

A Sun 386i to Sun486i upgrade is part number UG-RR-350  list price $5,995
discount category A

Upgrade includes:  CPU board, Sun 486i POP board, and cables.
Customer returns Sun 386i CPU board

A Sun 486i 0Meg memory expansion board is a UG-RR0MB listing at $750,
discount category A

Under the ordering instructions it says:
Sun 386i to 486i upgrades require SunOS 4.0.3; order USR1-03F (1/4" tape) or
USR1-12F (3.5-inch diskette) at no charge if media is required.

The system board includes 8 SIMM sockets for 8Mbytes of existing memory.
If the Sun386i system to be upgraded has 12 or 16 Mbytes of memory, order option UG-RR0MB, listed above.

--curt
--
Curt Freeland
Manager, Systems Engineering

johnm@cup.portal.com (John - Madison) (01/15/91)

>A Sun 386i to Sun486i upgrade is part number UG-RR-350  list price $5,995
>discount category A ....

The 486i was listed in the Sun price list.   However, it was never
generally available and never quite worked.   Sun publically claimed
that bugs in the chip prevented it from running UNIX, that they
couldn't get enough chips, and other reasons for not shipping.
Internally, Sun decided to stop porting new versions of the os
to the x86 machines.  The 386i code was based on 4.0 beta, and was
extensively modified, so incorporating the new features delivered
in later versions of SunOS was very difficult.

Meanwhile, unsold 386i's collected in the warehouse.   Eventually,
Sun killed off the machine when (1) they realized that the market
for the machine was pretty small  (2) the people who did buy it
would be *very* upset when they learned that future versions of
Sunos would not available for the 486i.

It is interesting to note that the (ex) Sun employee with overall
responsibility for the 386/486 was the same person who brought us the
DEC Rainbow. :-)

cleary@husc8.harvard.edu (Kenneth Cleary) (01/16/91)

In article <4139@osc.COM> jgk@osc.COM (Joe Keane) writes:
>Sun is behaving like a spoiled brat in this case.  Part of the problem is that
>they missed the boat and spent a lot of time on NeWS and SunWindows, which
>people didn't really want it.  Maybe they should learn that just because you
>have more engineers doesn't make people want your product.  You can argue the
>technical merits X vs. NeWS vs. SunView, but the main point is that Sun got
>shut multiple times.  Because of all this, they have decided to be perverse
>and not give its customers what they want.

Excuse me, but... there are customers who see another side to OSF.  I have no
intention of defending SunView or NeWS, because I don't like them.  However,
if I want to develop code for OpenLook, and port it to whichever machine, Sun
or AT&T won't stop me.  They have included everything needed to do this in the
X11 distribution (XView & olwm).  (Yes, I know it is not public domain...)
For people wanting to develop in Motif, they have to shell out the bucks ahead
of time, before they get to really look at it, and from following the
discussion in comp.windows.x.motif this has not been gratifying for some.
The stated mission of OSF seems to be avoidance of monopolistic control over
crucial technologies (i.e. fear of AT&T).  However, if you look at the
companies signing into OSF (IBM, DEC, etc.) you see the old masters of the
proprietary technology game, who enjoyed being able to lock customers in.
On the other hand, I see Sun constantly allowing others to use its technology
without charge (XView, olwm, NFS, etc).  Now the folks at OSF are trying to
lock technology up, so that they can charge admission, and they have the
audacity to cry foul at Sun for not wanting give control to the old
robber-barons of proprietary technology.  Could it be that the robber-barons
are concerned that Sun gives too much away for free?  Are the robber-barons
(with the business mentality) unable to cope with organizations like Sun
(with an engineering mindset), or AT&T (with a scientific mindset)?

If we are talking giving the customers what they want, how about putting the
source code for everything needed to build OSF/Motif out in the public?
Why put so much effort into getting proprietary code out of Mach, just so you
can lock it up again?

tjo@its.bt.co.uk (Tim Oldham) (01/17/91)

In article <5353@husc6.harvard.edu> cleary@husc8.UUCP (Kenneth Cleary) writes:
>The stated mission of OSF seems to be avoidance of monopolistic control over
>crucial technologies (i.e. fear of AT&T).  However, if you look at the
>companies signing into OSF (IBM, DEC, etc.) you see the old masters of the
>proprietary technology game, who enjoyed being able to lock customers in.

Yes. And while the current licensing costs are relatively low, there's
no guarantee what they will be in years to come.

1) Make it cheap in initial costs.
2) Make it difficult and expensive to get out and easy to stay in.
3) Push the prices up gradually, continually making it more harder and
   more expensive to get out.
4) while true do 3) done

	Tim.
--
Tim Oldham, BT Applied Systems. tjo@its.bt.co.uk or ...uunet!ukc!its!tjo
US Tourist: ``Say, is this college pre-war?''