[comp.arch] What were real machines which helped Turing?

steve@hubcap.clemson.edu ("Steve" Stevenson) (01/16/91)

In a class I'm teaching, I was trying to get the students into the historical
context in the 1920-1940 time frame. The Atansoff computer was probably
known to Alan Turing. Did this help in his formulation? Did he ever say where
the ideas came from? What other machines were there then that might have
contributed to his formulation?--
Steve (really "D. E.") Stevenson           steve@hubcap.clemson.edu
Department of Computer Science,            (803)656-5880.mabell
Clemson University, Clemson, SC 29634-1906

colwell@omews1.intel.com (Robert Colwell) (01/16/91)

In article <12623@hubcap.clemson.edu> steve@hubcap.clemson.edu ("Steve" Stevenson) writes:
>In a class I'm teaching, I was trying to get the students into the historical
>context in the 1920-1940 time frame. The Atansoff computer was probably
>known to Alan Turing. Did this help in his formulation? Did he ever say where
>the ideas came from? What other machines were there then that might have
>contributed to his formulation?--

Tell 'em to read "Alan Turing: The Enigma", a good biography of Turing.
Fascinating, in fact, in its assertions that if Turing and Wilkes had been
able to get along, the computer industry might have lived in the UK for the
last twenty years instead of the US.  I suspect that the author of this
biography had a hidden agenda of attacking society's treatment of
homosexuals (for those who don't know, Turing was homosexual, and was
arrested for it after naively reporting a theft from his house by a man he
had befriended).  But the technical details of what Turing had to work with
back then and what he managed to do with it is astonishing.  Well worth
reading.

Bob Colwell  colwell@mipon2.intel.com  503-696-4550
Intel Corp.  JF1-19
5200 NE Elam Young Parkway
Hillsboro, Oregon 97124

dc@cs.qmw.ac.uk (Daniel Cohen) (01/16/91)

The background to Turing's work is well discussed
in the book: "Turing: the enigma of intelligence",
I think it's by Hodges ( e-mail me if you want a
proper reference; it's at home ).

The gist of the answer would be that the concept of
the Turing machine did not derive from any actual
computing devices, but from a generalisation of how
a human being does computation - essentially, by
looking at pieces of paper ( squares on a tape ),
and adjusting context accordingly ( changing state
). This approach came about because Turing was
interested in the famous Hilbert problem ( one of
23 ) concerned with the decidability of
mathematical questions.

Of course, that doesn't mean that Turing was
uninterested in the practicalities of mechanical
computation; he had an interest in analogue
computers and was later the leading light behind
the ACE. But I believe that the foundations for his
work were mathematical, not practical computers.

--
Daniel Cohen              Department of Computer Science
Email: dc@cs.qmw.ac.uk    Queen Mary and Westfield College

William.Lott@CS.CMU.EDU (01/17/91)

colwell@omews1.intel.com (Robert Colwell) writes:
> In article <12623@hubcap.clemson.edu> steve@hubcap.clemson.edu ("Steve" Steven\
> son) writes:
> >In a class I'm teaching, I was trying to get the students into the historical
> >context in the 1920-1940 time frame. The Atansoff computer was probably
> >known to Alan Turing. Did this help in his formulation? Did he ever say where
> >the ideas came from? What other machines were there then that might have
> >contributed to his formulation?--
>
> Tell 'em to read "Alan Turing: The Enigma", a good biography of Turing.

One should also read "Atansoff, the Forgotten Father of the Computer"
(or something like that) to make sure credit is attributed where
credit is due.  Or at least to become aware that there is some
disagreement about where credit is due.

-William Lott

ps: Apparently Atansoff rented a room from my great grandparents.  If
I'm remembering stories I've heard correctly, my grandmother once was
trapped in the bathroom in only her underware because Atansoff was
patiently waiting in the hall for his turn.  (I know this doesn't have
much to do with Architecture, but I found it amusing.)

bill@mwca.UUCP (Bill Sheppard) (01/18/91)

Actually, it's Atanasoff, not Atansoff.

(Just a proud graduate of Iowa State thrilled to see the recognition due
Atanasoff being received. I've got his signature in his previously mentioned
autobiography, as he made a campus visit during my senior year.)
#  Bill Sheppard  --  bills@microware.com  --  {uunet,sun}!mcrware!mwca!bill   #
#  Microware Systems Corporation  ---  OS-9: Seven generations beyond __/_!!   #
#######Opinions expressed are my own, though you'd be wise to adopt them!#######

aa1@j.cc.purdue.edu (Saul Rosen) (01/24/91)

In article <1991Jan19.234454.26225@eecs.wsu.edu> pcooper@yoda.UUCP (Phil Cooper - CS495) writes:
>In article <1991Jan16.165251.3783@sctc.com> smith@sctc.com (Rick Smith) writes:
>>steve@hubcap.clemson.edu ("Steve" Stevenson) writes:
>>
>>> The Atansoff computer was probably known to Alan Turing.
>       ^^^^^^^^
>  I'm not 100% sure, but I believe the man's name is Atanasoff
>

>>This is a fascinating statement, but your use of the word "probably"
>>implies that you lack hard evidence. Is there any evidence to support
>>this statement?

Turing wrote his famous paper on computable numbers in 1935-36.  In it
he introduced his conceptual computer that has come to be known as the
Turing machine. The Universal Turing Machine that he introduced in the
same paper can be considered to be a conceptual or even a mathematical
model of the real universal computers (e.g. the EDVAC) that appeared
about 10 years later. It is not clear whether Turing's ideas had any
direct effect on the Edvac.  However, it is known that von Neumann knew
Turing while Turing was a graduate student at Princeton in 1937-39.

Atanasoff started to work on his machine, later known as the ABC computer
in 1937-38, and worked on a prototype in 1939.  I don't think it is at
all likely that Turing ever knew anything about the Atanasoff computer,
even after World War II when Turing designed the real hardware ACE computer.
The above dates show that Turing's work on computability preceded the work
of Atanasoff.  Note also that the Atanasoff computer was not a programmed
general purpose computer, and thus its concepts were in no way related
to the very general programming concepts introduced  by Turing in his
1936 paper.

Saul Rosen

des@frogland.inmos.co.uk (David Shepherd) (01/24/91)

If you go to the Deutches Museum in Munich there is quite a sizeable
exhibition on the history of calculating machines and computers. The
general thrust of the historical overview there is that the modern
computer was invented in Germany (also, given the amount of ancient
equipment donated by them, the biggest computer company is something
called IBM Deutchland). Amongst the vast amount of info about the
German fathers of computing is one small notice which basically
states that this person in England called Alan Turing was working
on similar ideas and that he did something quite important around
the early 1940s but for some reason they don't actually say
what that was :-)

david shepherd: des@inmos.co.uk or des@inmos.com    tel: 0454-616616 x 529
                inmos ltd, 1000 aztec west, almondsbury, bristol, bs12 4sq
                phevbfvgl xvyyrq gur png

src@scuzzy.in-berlin.de (Heiko Blume) (01/26/91)

des@frogland.inmos.co.uk (David Shepherd) writes:

>If you go to the Deutches Museum in Munich there is quite a sizeable
>exhibition on the history of calculating machines and computers.

in Berlin there is a *working* rebuild of the Z-3 done by Grand Wazoo Zuse
himself. it's in the "Museum fuer Verkehr und Technik".
--
      Heiko Blume <-+-> src@scuzzy.in-berlin.de <-+-> (+49 30) 691 88 93
                    public source archive [HST V.42bis]: