[comp.arch] Moto 68451

jcallen@Encore.COM (Jerry Callen) (01/22/91)

In article <PCG.91Jan20191955@teacho.cs.aber.ac.uk> pcg@cs.aber.ac.uk (Piercarlo Grandi) writes:
>The 68451 was not that long coming, and could be used as a TLB.  Yes, it
>was slow.

Hmmm, what _is_ this part? I see from my Arrow catalog that I can order one,
and it's described as an MMU, but my M68000 Family Reference never mentions it.
Is it an early version of the 68851?

-- Jerry Callen
   jcallen@encore.com

skipper@motaus.sps.mot.com (Skipper Smith) (01/23/91)

In article <13875@encore.Encore.COM> jcallen@encore.Com (Jerry Callen) writes:
>In article <PCG.91Jan20191955@teacho.cs.aber.ac.uk> pcg@cs.aber.ac.uk (Piercarlo Grandi) writes:
>>The 68451 was not that long coming, and could be used as a TLB.  Yes, it
>>was slow.
>
>Hmmm, what _is_ this part? I see from my Arrow catalog that I can order one,
>and it's described as an MMU, but my M68000 Family Reference never mentions it.
>Is it an early version of the 68851?
>
>-- Jerry Callen
>   jcallen@encore.com

The 68451 was an MMU designed to be used with the 68010.  It was a segmented
MMU, real slow, and has generally been surpassed in every category (performance,
speed, capability, etc...) by the 68851 and the MMU built into the 68030.  I
highly doubt that Arrow actually has any parts in stock (since it is a part
which Motorola doesn't recommend for new designs), but they might just have a
couple of them lying around somewhere.  Another place to check would be with
Krueger Electronics (a used part house somewhere in New Jersey, I think).

--
Skipper Smith                             | skipper@motaus.sps.mot.com
Motorola Technical Training               | 8945 Guilford Rd  Ste 145

In article <1991Jan23.154244.8322@motaus.sps.mot.com> skipper@motaus.sps.mot.com (Skipper Smith) writes:

| The 68451 was an MMU designed to be used with the 68010.  It was a segmented
| MMU, real slow, and has generally been surpassed in every category (performance,
| speed, capability, etc...) by the 68851 and the MMU built into the 68030.  I

  Was this the one used in the unix-pc/7300/3b1/safari box? Both of mine
have gone to new homes and I can't check easily.
  "I'll come home in one of two ways, the big parade or in a body bag.
   I prefer the former but I'll take the latter" -Sgt Marco Rodrigez

croft@csusac.csus.edu (Steve Croft) (01/26/91)

In article <3149@crdos1.crd.ge.COM> davidsen@crdos1.crd.ge.com (bill davidsen) writes:
>In article <1991Jan23.154244.8322@motaus.sps.mot.com> skipper@motaus.sps.mot.com (Skipper Smith) writes:
>
>| The 68451 was an MMU designed to be used with the 68010.  It was a segmented
>| MMU, real slow, and has generally been surpassed in every category (performance,
>| speed, capability, etc...) by the 68851 and the MMU built into the 68030.  I
>
>  Was this the one used in the unix-pc/7300/3b1/safari box? Both of mine
>have gone to new homes and I can't check easily.

The 7300 has a MMU built from programmed logic chips...

steve

mike@thor (Mike Haertel) (01/27/91)

In article <3149@crdos1.crd.ge.COM> davidsen@crdos1.crd.ge.com (bill davidsen) writes:
>In article <1991Jan23.154244.8322@motaus.sps.mot.com> skipper@motaus.sps.mot.com (Skipper Smith) writes:
>| The 68451 was an MMU designed to be used with the 68010.  It was a segmented
>  Was this the one used in the unix-pc/7300/3b1/safari box? Both of mine
>have gone to new homes and I can't check easily.

No, the 7300/3b1 uses an array of 1K words of fast static ram to hold
the page table for 4 megabytes of memory.  (4K pages)  in order switch
context you have to copy the new page table in and clobber any parts
of the old that you didn't overwrite.  this is rather like the early
Sun MMU i guess, except that you don't have multiple contexts.
--
Mike Haertel <mike@stolaf.edu>
"He's a tie with the ambition to become a full-blown suit." -- Jon Westbrock