[comp.arch] Superscalar architectures

brandis@inf.ethz.ch (Marc Brandis) (02/07/91)

In article <2896@charon.cwi.nl> dik@cwi.nl (Dik T. Winter) writes:
>I believe some versions of the i960 can issue three instructions at the same
>time (but I understand the next cycle they can issue at most one instruction).
>The RS6000 can issue three *different* kinds of instructions at the same time
>(where different is different from the different of the i860).

This is not completely correct. The S/6000 can issue four different instructions
every cycle, although one comes from a rarely used class (condition code
operations). To me, it is still unclear what these instructions should be
really useful for.

The i960CA can theoretically issue three instructions every cycle, and it is
not true that in the following cycle only one instruction can be issued. They
have also to be of different classes: one branch, one arithmetic or logic, one
memory access. Some time ago I collected information about the i960CA, and
the common experience with it as well as the impression of computer architects
was that the i960CA is not faster than traditional RISCs (e.g. like the Am29k
or the SPARC) at the same clock speed and with similar memory subsystems. The
reasons were mainly the slow memory access times and the high costs of
conditional branches. However, you should not forget that the i960CA was
designed as a processor for embedded applications, so performance was not the
most important design issue.

Marc-Michael Brandis
Computer Systems Laboratory, ETH-Zentrum (Swiss Federal Institute of Technology)
CH-8092 Zurich, Switzerland
email: brandis@inf.ethz.ch