[comp.arch] Reed Solomon Code code

hqm@media-lab.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Henry Minsky) (02/07/91)

Sorry for the wide distribution, but I'm not sure which newsgroup is
appropriate for this query;

I am trying to find source code or descriptions of software (or
hardware) algorithms for Reed Solomon encoding/decoding. Specifically,
I am interested in something which emulates the Cross Interleaved
Reed-Solomon coding found on CDs, and the double encoding found on
CD-ROMS.

Any references (journals, conferences, books) would also be helpful.

Thanks,
	Henry Minsky

warner@intellistor.com (Dave Warner) (02/07/91)

In <5131@media-lab.MEDIA.MIT.EDU> hqm@media-lab.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Henry Minsky) writes:

>Sorry for the wide distribution, but I'm not sure which newsgroup is
>appropriate for this query;

>I am trying to find source code or descriptions of software (or
>hardware) algorithms for Reed Solomon encoding/decoding. Specifically,
>I am interested in something which emulates the Cross Interleaved
>Reed-Solomon coding found on CDs, and the double encoding found on
>CD-ROMS.

Try Neal Glover's book "Practical Error Correction Design for Engineers."
It was published privately and I don't see an ISBN number but Neal
I think can still be reached at (303)466-5228/5482.  His company
was bought out by Cirrus a while ago but I think the number is still
good.  Excellent book.
 | Dave Warner             | e-mail address: warner@intellistor.com  |
 | Intellistor, Inc.       | USmail address: 2402 Clover Basin Dr.   |
 | (303)682-6555           |                 Longmont, CO 80503      |

dahl@SRC.Honeywell.COM (Peter Dahl) (02/08/91)

In article <1991Feb7.000327.15642@intellistor.com> warner@intellistor.com (Dave Warner) writes:
>In <5131@media-lab.MEDIA.MIT.EDU> hqm@media-lab.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Henry Minsky) writes:

>>I am trying to find source code or descriptions of software (or
>>hardware) algorithms for Reed Solomon encoding/decoding. Specifically,
>>I am interested in something which emulates the Cross Interleaved
>>Reed-Solomon coding found on CDs, and the double encoding found on
>>CD-ROMS.

>Try Neal Glover's book "Practical Error Correction Design for Engineers."
>It was published privately and I don't see an ISBN number but Neal
>I think can still be reached at (303)466-5228/5482.  His company
>was bought out by Cirrus a while ago but I think the number is still
>good.  Excellent book.

Also try this one: "Error-Control Coding for Computer Systems", T. Rao and
E. Fujiwara, Prentice-Hall, 1989, ISBN 0-13-283953-9.  This has a good
description of RS coding, but not the discussion is not specific to CDs
so you may have to figure it out.

peter dahl@src.honeywell.com
I had fun once, and it wasn't anything like this