[comp.arch] 370 channels and tape drives

rbe@yrloc.ipsa.reuter.COM (Robert Bernecky) (02/08/91)

I think it was this group, or alt.folklore.computers, or whatever it's called,
that someone asked why IBM 360 tape drives tie up the channel during rewind.
This is not a 360 problem as much as an operating system access method coder
problem.

The 360 channel allows chaining of commands, so that you can, for example,
write a disk command chain which will seek to a cylinder, search for a specific
record on a track, and read/write one or more records from that point. If the
commands were not chained, another process or cpu could move the arm between
the commands, and you'd read gibberish.

The device signals (channel end) when the data transfer associated with the
operation has completed. Concurrently, or later, (device end) will be signalled
indicating the device has completed any mechanical motion required, etc.
For example, disk seek, tape rewind, and forms eject on a printer all signal
channel end immediately, and device end much later.

If command chaining occurs, it does not take place until device end time,
and on old selector channels, ties up the channel during this time.
The newer block multiplexor channels do not have this problem, as they
can disconnect, under some circumstances.

At any rate, what you observed was the rewind operation being combined
via chaining with some other operation, such as unload, etc. If the
rewind operation had been scheduled independently, the channel would have
freed up during the rewind, and other tape operations could proceed
concurrently with the rewind.

Bob Bernecky
Snake Island Research Inc.

PS: I'm new to this posting biz, so please accept my apologies if I
got the wrong group. I can't even FIND the name of the damn comp.filk
group at the moment. Playing adventure is easier..

xxremak@csduts1.lerc.nasa.gov (David A. Remaklus) (02/14/91)

In article <1991Feb8.153055.26279@yrloc.ipsa.reuter.COM> rbe@yrloc.ipsa.reuter.COM (Robert Bernecky) writes:

(stuff deleted)

>At any rate, what you observed was the rewind operation being combined
>via chaining with some other operation, such as unload, etc. If the
>rewind operation had been scheduled independently, the channel would have
>freed up during the rewind, and other tape operations could proceed
>concurrently with the rewind.

Not necessarily.  Dynamic disconnect and reconnect for channel
protocol did not come until much later in the IBM 360/370 channel
protocol.  Under this protocol, certain devices (like disk and the
new 3480 cartridge tape) will return a status byte and disconnect
from the channel while the control unit and device service the
operation (usually some sort of positioning operation).  In the days
of the older tape drives, the control unit, when it had to take part
in the operation, was not able to disconnect from the channel so the
channel stayed busy.  The tape drive handles the rewind operation itself
freeing the control unit.  However, in the case of forward space
and backspace type operations, the control unit takes part in
identifying the tape marks and therefore does not return status until
the operation completes.  It is more likely that this is the type of
operation that the individual had observed being performed.

--
David A. Remaklus		   Currently at: NASA Lewis Research Center
Amdahl Corporation				 MS 142-4