[comp.arch] The killer business application

dmocsny@minerva.che.uc.edu (Daniel Mocsny) (02/15/91)

In article <009441DD.664D58E0@KING.ENG.UMD.EDU> sysmgr@KING.ENG.UMD.EDU (Doug Mohney) writes:
>Is there room for UNIX/RISC workstations in the business world? Maybe, if you
>get some "killer" applications ported to the proper platforms. What are the
>"killer" business applications?

The "killer" business application for the UNIX/RISC workstation is
very easy to imagine, but perhaps impossible right now to build.

Consider what makes a UNIX/RISC workstation usable. No, it's not the
large, flat address space. It's not the megapixels on the display.
It's not the processor speed, the multi-tasking, the comprehensive
set of utilities, the networking, or any of that stuff. All that
stuff helps, to be sure, but businesses can buy all they want of it,
and still fail to make any headway.

Here is what makes the UNIX/RISC workstation usable: the person who
knows how to run the damned thing. Every UNIX box I have used so far
refuses to do any work until it has satisfied itself that somebody
has devoted themself full-time to its care and feeding. The UNIX
box doesn't give away power freely; the power comes at the
cost of breathtaking complexity. The only way to get on top of that
complexity today is to plow through hundreds of pounds of paper
documentation, a task that takes most mere mortals a few human-years.

So here is the "killer" business application that will put UNIX on
every desktop: a program that simulates a UNIX guru. Any businessperson
can immediately and successfully use a UNIX box that comes equipped
with a UNIX guru who understands English and takes orders. Unfortunately,
none of the UNIX vendors today know how to produce UNIX gurus as quickly
and cheaply as they can produce iron. But the scarcity of UNIX
expertise shuts out potential users who have other things to do with
their time besides puzzle over system administration and interesting
things like sendmail.cf.

So build a program that does everything, or perhaps 95%, of what a
good UNIX system administrator does. Or perhaps 99% of what a good
UNIX system administrator could do over the telephone. I have no doubt
that a good UNIX guru is more powerful than a good MS-DOS guru, simply
because the UNIX guru has more to work with. Embed that power in a
program, and there's your killer business app. Anybody who bought one
could start making money with it immediately; those boxes would
conquer the world.

--
Dan Mocsny
Internet: dmocsny@minerva.che.uc.edu

sysmgr@KING.ENG.UMD.EDU (Doug Mohney) (02/15/91)

In article <7458@uceng.UC.EDU>, dmocsny@minerva.che.uc.edu (Daniel Mocsny) writes:

>Here is what makes the UNIX/RISC workstation usable: the person who
>knows how to run the damned thing. Every UNIX box I have used so far
>refuses to do any work until it has satisfied itself that somebody
>has devoted themself full-time to its care and feeding. The UNIX
>box doesn't give away power freely; the power comes at the
>cost of breathtaking complexity. The only way to get on top of that
>complexity today is to plow through hundreds of pounds of paper
>documentation, a task that takes most mere mortals a few human-years.

Well, I beg to differ here. I know hundreds (literally) of people who know the
scantest thing about DOS, but manage to get Word Perfect or Lotus running and
they're in heaven.

The "Mac-ifying" of UN*X is occuring, as we have now with the NeXT box;
turn-key system, pretty icons, easily installable applications. Software
distribution might be easily done on CD-ROM and enough code thrown in.

>So build a program that does everything, or perhaps 95%, of what a
>good UNIX system administrator does. Or perhaps 99% of what a good
>UNIX system administrator could do over the telephone. I have no doubt
>that a good UNIX guru is more powerful than a good MS-DOS guru, simply
>because the UNIX guru has more to work with. Embed that power in a
>program, and there's your killer business app.

You'll see more idiot-proofing of UN*X, easier installation of software, and
probably some half-hearted attempts to put some AI into system management,
kinda like AUTOGEN does for system tuning on VMS. Given the current tribal wars
between OSF and System V, I doubt anyone is going to get around to releasing a
"friendly" UNIX in the next 2-3 years.

 Doug Mohney, Operations Manager, CAD Lab/ME, Univ. of Maryland College Park
	        *       Ray Kaplan for DECUS president     *
                          SYSMGR@CADLAB.ENG.UMD.EDU