[comp.arch] What to do on a WS <-> what to do on a SC

toon@news.sara.nl (02/21/91)

In article <3205@crdos1.crd.ge.COM>,
	davidsen@crdos1.crd.ge.COM (Wm E Davidsen Jr) writes:
> In article <MCCALPIN.91Feb14105834@pereland.cms.udel.edu>
	mccalpin@perelandra.cms.udel.edu (John D. McCalpin) writes:

[ ... optimizing C compiler example deleted ... ]

> | Other things are still far from the happy paradise of the "seamless
> | environment", especially O/S support for process migration and answers
> | to very difficult questions about how to decide where to run things in
> | a heterogeneous environment....
>
>   I would like to see the workstation slide jobs off onto the SC for
> execution, and given enough bandwidth that's possible. The problem is
> that the output of these jobs is sometimes very large, and it would have
> to come back. If you could put the files on the SC and NFS export them,
> without wasting a lot of CPU on the SC, that might be a solution.
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This might just be the problem. NFS is also a 'lot of interrupts
because of small data packets' type of application, just like your
favorite full screen text editor. I can't just now comment on how
far this similarity holds; we're expected to sort this out in about
a year's time (BTW, there are other reasons for not wanting to use
NFS: e.g. the system administration overhead (people time) that comes
with it).
--

Toon Moene, SARA - Amsterdam (NL)
Internet: TOON@SARA.NL