[comp.arch] National Semiconductor's Swordfish microprocessor

adamj@panews (02/21/91)

	Does National Semiconductor's "Swordfish" microprocessor include
an MMU?

			--Adam J. Richter
			  adam@soda.berkeley.edu

gideon@tasu53.UUCP (Gideon Intrater) (02/21/91)

In article <1991Feb20.210752.19367@ibmpa.awdpa.ibm.com> adamj@kon-tiki.awdpa.ibm.com (Adam J. Richter) writes:

>	Does National Semiconductor's "Swordfish" microprocessor include
>an MMU?
>
>			--Adam J. Richter
>			  adam@soda.berkeley.edu

No we don't have an MMU.  Again, we target the processor for imaging embedded
applications, where an MMU is usually not required.  Our main design goal
was to deliver as much performance at a low system cost.  The Swordfish
delivers more than 110,000 dhrystones/sec on a 25Mhz bus.

                                     Gideon Intrater

Gideon Intrater                            gideon@nsc.nsc.com
National Semiconductor, P.O.Box 3007, Herzlia B 46104, Israel
Phone: +972-52-522255,                    Fax: +972-52-558322

mash@mips.COM (John Mashey) (02/26/91)

In article <5430@taux01.nsc.com> gideon@nsc.nsc.com (Gideon Intrater) writes:

>No we don't have an MMU.  Again, we target the processor for imaging embedded
>applications, where an MMU is usually not required.  Our main design goal
>was to deliver as much performance at a low system cost.  The Swordfish
>delivers more than 110,000 dhrystones/sec on a 25Mhz bus.

Although I haven't yet seen much detailed data, the swordfish at least
looks like a reasonable implementation consistent with NSC's current
strategy.

However, I would observe that the number of dhrystones related to
bus speed is kind of irrelevant for a processor with on-chip
I-cache and write-back D-cache of any reasonable size....
UUCP: 	 mash@mips.com OR {ames,decwrl,prls,pyramid}!mips!mash
DDD:  	408-524-7015, 524-8253 or (main number) 408-720-1700

mccalpin@perelandra.cms.udel.edu (John D. McCalpin) (02/26/91)

John> In article <5430@taux01.nsc.com> gideon@nsc.nsc.com
(Gideon Intrater) writes:
>The Swordfish delivers more than 110,000 dhrystones/sec on a 25Mhz bus.

John> [...] I would observe that the number of dhrystones related to
John> bus speed is kind of irrelevant for a processor with on-chip
John> I-cache and write-back D-cache of any reasonable size....

Perhaps Gideon mentioned the bus speed since he wanted to say a 25 MHz
cpu, but did not want to get into the details of what that meant, re
possible internal clock-doubling, etc....

While we are on the topic, maybe John can tell us how is it that MIPS
has managed to produce the CPU with the lowest ratio of "real" MIPS to
dhrystone 1.1 MIPS among all the modern RISC processors?

I don't know how the SPARC does, but I keep on seeing outrageous
dhrystone 1.1 MIPS numbers for 88000 and RIOS machines -- the ratios
are something like twice the ratios for the MIPS cpu's....

This low ratio for the MIPS processors seems to be some indication
that the marketing department was not exercising adequate control over
the design of the R2000/R3000.  :-)
--
John D. McCalpin			mccalpin@perelandra.cms.udel.edu
Assistant Professor			mccalpin@brahms.udel.edu

gideon@taux01.nsc.com ( Gideon Intrater) (03/05/91)

In article <46175@mips.mips.COM> mash@mips.COM (John Mashey) writes:

>However, I would observe that the number of dhrystones related to
>bus speed is kind of irrelevant for a processor with on-chip
>I-cache and write-back D-cache of any reasonable size....
>--
>-john mashey	DISCLAIMER: <generic disclaimer, I speak for me only, etc>
>UUCP: 	 mash@mips.com OR {ames,decwrl,prls,pyramid}!mips!mash

The Swordfish has a write through data cache, so the bus configuration
can change the performance (there are a lot of back to back writes in
dhrystone).

On a 25 Mhz bus with bus pipelining disabled the Swordfish delivers 110.1K
dhrystones/sec.  When the pipelining is enabled, it delivers 120.2K
dhrystones/sec.

I will post more benchmarks in the future.  Note that we still do not have
a SPEC suite for embedded controllers, so it is nearly impossible to compare
the performance of different processors.

--

mash@mips.com (John Mashey) (03/06/91)

In article <5486@taux01.nsc.com> gideon@taux01.nsc.com ( Gideon Intrater) writes:
>In article <46175@mips.mips.COM> mash@mips.COM (John Mashey) writes:
>>
>>However, I would observe that the number of dhrystones related to
>>bus speed is kind of irrelevant for a processor with on-chip
>>I-cache and write-back D-cache of any reasonable size....
>The Swordfish has a write through data cache, so the bus configuration
>can change the performance (there are a lot of back to back writes in
>dhrystone).
Mea culpa!  I must have mis-read something somewhere, as I had it firmly
in mind that the Swordfish had a write-back cache.  sorry; there is
indeed more correlation.
Perhaps you can say a few words on the choice of write-thru versus
write-back for this application?
Also, can you describe the strcpy implementation used?

>I will post more benchmarks in the future.  Note that we still do not have
>a SPEC suite for embedded controllers, so it is nearly impossible to compare
>the performance of different processors.

Yes.  In fact, that would be a really good topic to discuss:  for the
embedded market, are there sensible benchmarks of the SPEC ilk?
at least:
	public-domain or widely distributable
		(definitely NOT embedded ADA benchmarks of the
		"we have to shoot you after you read it" kind :-)
	reasonably portable
	written mostly in high-level languages
	run long enough to be meaningful
	measure things that practitioners can relate to
UUCP: 	 mash@mips.com OR {ames,decwrl,prls,pyramid}!mips!mash
DDD:  	408-524-7015, 524-8253 or (main number) 408-720-1700
USPS: 	MIPS Computer Systems MS 1/05, 930 E. Arques, Sunnyvale, CA 94086