[comp.arch] Unusual instructions and constructions - words

herrickd@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com (03/15/91)

In article <7571@mentor.cc.purdue.edu>, hrubin@pop.stat.purdue.edu (Herman Rubin) writes:
> I would like to write
>
> 	exp,mant =UP x,
>
> where exp is the exponent and mant the mantissa for the floating point x, etc.

This is one of my pet peeves in computer science.  It is like the use
of the word "REAL" in the original FORTRAN (they are a finite subset
of the rationals - a lot of bugs come from thinking of them as if they
were the real numbers).

A mantissa is the fractional part of a logarithm.  The entire logarithm
is an exponent.  The mantissa is that part of the logarithm that determines
the significant figures.  It determines the significant figures by being
an exponent in its own right.  The rest of the logarithm only tells where to
put the decimal point.

A floating point number consists of an exponent and a fraction.  The
fraction part is not in any way an exponent.

I prefer the words exponent and fraction.

An interesting historical note:  Early 8087 data sheets talked about
exponent and mantissa.  After a few years, that changed to exponent and
significand.  Even in the technical notes.  The president of Intel had
a paper published somewhere (or maybe it was a transcription of a
speech) and it talked about exponent and mantissa.  The company changed
words, but the president didn't.  I missed whatever it was that triggered
that change.

dan herrick
herrickd@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com

jlg@cochiti.lanl.gov (Jim Giles) (03/19/91)

From article <3800.27dfaacf@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com>, by
herrickd@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com:

> [...]
> An interesting historical note:  Early 8087 data sheets talked about
> exponent and mantissa.  After a few years, that changed to exponent and
> significand.  Even in the technical notes.  The president of Intel had
> a paper published somewhere (or maybe it was a transcription of a
> speech) and it talked about exponent and mantissa.  The company changed
> words, but the president didn't.  I missed whatever it was that triggered
> that change.

The IEEE floating point standard uses the term "significand".  It may
be that this is the origin of the term.  In any case, it is a better
term than "fraction".  In some floating point representations normalized
numbers have a significand that is between 1 and 2 - "fraction" would
be an inappropriate term for the significand of such representations.

J. Giles