[comp.arch] 48-bit computers

mash@mips.com (John Mashey) (03/04/91)

Various people asked about the existence of 48-bit computers.
I don't know of any, offhand that are being sold today.
Ones sold in the past include:

1) Honeywell 800, 400, 1400-1800

2) CDC 1604, 1604A, 3[468]000 (the 3[1235]00 were 24-bitters)

3) English Electric KDF9

4) Burrounghs B5000, B5500, D825, B8500

One person asked about current Unisys (Burroughs) A-series.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think these are derived from the
Burroughs B6500/B7500 mainframes, which were the successors to
the B5500 & friends, and they used 51 bits.
51 bits?
	Yes.  The 48-bit words of the B5000 used up to the top
	3 bits as flag bits, i.e., bit0 == 0 said rest of 47 bits
	were numeric operand.  bit1 == 1 said rest of word was something
	else, separated by bit2.
In the B6500 and later, they added 3 more bits for tags, which seemed to
me to be cleaner, as it left the fairly clean number 48.

The 48--bit machines look to me to be a late-50s, 1960s mainframe & mid-range
phenomenon that has since died off.
REFERENCE: Bell & Newell, COMPUTER STRUCTURES: READINGS AND EXAMPLES,
McGraw-Hill, New York, 1971.
UUCP: 	 mash@mips.com OR {ames,decwrl,prls,pyramid}!mips!mash
DDD:  	408-524-7015, 524-8253 or (main number) 408-720-1700
USPS: 	MIPS Computer Systems MS 1/05, 930 E. Arques, Sunnyvale, CA 94086

karger@osf.org (Paul A. Karger) (03/09/91)

Add to your list of 48-bit computers the Philco 2000 series.
Perhaps their most famous application was as the first computers
in the Cheyenne Mountain NORAD command center.   They were
replaced by Honeywell 6000 line machines in the early 70s as
part of the WMMCCS computer buy.

haynes@felix.ucsc.edu (99700000) (03/09/91)

In article <666@spim.mips.COM> mash@mips.com (John Mashey) writes:
>In the B6500 and later, they added 3 more bits for tags, which seemed to
>me to be cleaner, as it left the fairly clean number 48.

Well, yes and no.  With the 48-bit B5500 you could write words to tape as
8 six-bit characters.  With the 51-bit B6500 and later you could write words
to tape as 8 six-bit characters by omitting the tags (or 6 eight-bit
characters with 9-track tape) but now you've got the tag bits to do something
with.  So you need two different tape formats, one for pure data without
the tags, and one that preserves the tags.

Not that the problem is new or unique to the B6500.  It goes back at least
to the IBM 1401, where you could write six-bit characters on tape but if
you wanted to preserve word marks you had 7-bit characters to deal with.
And the G.E. (later Honeywell) machines have 36 bit words and 9-bit bytes
because 9 is a divisor of 36 and 8 isn't.  So again you can write tapes
that hold all the bits of a word, or that hold 8-bit ASCII data with the
ninth bit of each byte omitted.

avg@hq.demos.su (Vadim Antonov) (03/09/91)

In <666@spim.mips.COM> mash@mips.com (John Mashey) writes:

>Various people asked about the existence of 48-bit computers.

Soviet BESM-6 (mass production was started at '67 and finished about '84).

Vadim Antonov
DEMOS, Moscow, USSR

hrubin@pop.stat.purdue.edu (Herman Rubin) (03/10/91)

At the time of all these 48-bit computers, a byte was normally 6 bits.
Phone: (317)494-6054
hrubin@l.cc.purdue.edu (Internet, bitnet)   {purdue,pur-ee}!l.cc!hrubin(UUCP)

haynes@felix.ucsc.edu (99700000) (03/11/91)

In article <7572@mentor.cc.purdue.edu> hrubin@pop.stat.purdue.edu (Herman Rubin) writes:

>At the time of all these 48-bit computers, a byte was normally 6 bits.

Also 48 is a nice number for packing all kinds of bytes and nibbles into,
since it has so many divisors.  I spoze that's less important now that
the price of memory has gone down so much compared to 1964.

firth@sei.cmu.edu (Robert Firth) (03/11/91)

In article <13272@darkstar.ucsc.edu> haynes@felix.ucsc.edu (99700000) writes:

>Also 48 is a nice number for packing all kinds of bytes and nibbles into,
>since it has so many divisors.  I spoze that's less important now that
>the price of memory has gone down so much compared to 1964.

Indeed it was.  Here is one list, from the KDF9 programming manual, p 24:

THE KDF9 WORD HAS 48 BITS ...

IT MAY BE USED AS...

	Eight 6-Bit Alpha-Numeric Characters
	One 48-Bit Fixed-Point Number
	Two 24-Bit (Half length) Fixed-Point Numbers
	Half of a 96-Bit (Double Length) Fixed-Point Number
	One 48-Bit Floating-Point Number
	Two 24-Bit (Half length) Floating-Point Numbers
	Half of a 96-Bit (Double length) Floating-Point Number
	Three 16-Bit (Fixed point) Integers
	Six 8-Bit Instruction Syllables

An instruction was 1, 2 or 3 syllables; an address was 15 bits.
O, memory!  We shall not see its like again.

renglish@hplabsz.HP.COM (Bob English) (03/12/91)

In article <666@spim.mips.COM> mash@mips.com (John Mashey) writes:
>Various people asked about the existence of 48-bit computers.
>I don't know of any, offhand that are being sold today.

The PA-RISC architecture allows for 32-bit, 48-bit, and 64-bit
implementations.  I don't know of any that have actually been shipped
with more than 48-bits of supported address space.  Under HP-UX,
processes are limited to between 30 and 32 bits of local address space
(depending on how you count).  Under MPE-XL, the entire address space is
made available to tasks, and is used (among other things) to map file
system pages.

--bob--
renglish@hplabs
Standard Disclaimer

fred@sma2.uucp (Fred Brooks) (03/14/91)

In article <6684@hplabsz.HP.COM> renglish@hplabsz.HP.COM (Bob English) writes:
>In article <666@spim.mips.COM> mash@mips.com (John Mashey) writes:
>>Various people asked about the existence of 48-bit computers.
>>I don't know of any, offhand that are being sold today.
>
>The PA-RISC architecture allows for 32-bit, 48-bit, and 64-bit

	I think that the Harris H series is a 24/48-bit computer. The AN/UYK-62
is a Harris H-300.
--

Defend your 2nd amendment rights.
What is the New World Order?

ram@unislc.uucp (Ram Madduluri) (03/19/91)

fred@sma2.uucp (Fred Brooks) writes:

>In article <6684@hplabsz.HP.COM> renglish@hplabsz.HP.COM (Bob English) writes:
>>In article <666@spim.mips.COM> mash@mips.com (John Mashey) writes:
>>>Various people asked about the existence of 48-bit computers.
>>>I don't know of any, offhand that are being sold today.
>>
>>The PA-RISC architecture allows for 32-bit, 48-bit, and 64-bit

>	I think that the Harris H series is a 24/48-bit computer. The AN/UYK-62
>is a Harris H-300.

Unisys A-Series machines are 48bit machines and are currently available
in the market....

Ram Madduluri
--
 _
Ram Madduluri

Unisys UNIX Networks

mash@mips.com (John Mashey) (03/19/91)

In article <1991Mar18.220827.27542@unislc.uucp> ram@unislc.uucp (Ram Madduluri) writes:

>Unisys A-Series machines are 48bit machines and are currently available
>in the market....

Is that true? I thought the A-series was 51 bits or more, upward-compatible
from B6500, etc.  Did these go back to the 48 used by B5500?

cfj@iSC.intel.com (Charlie Johnson) (03/20/91)

In article <1991Mar18.220827.27542@unislc.uucp>, ram@unislc.uucp (Ram Madduluri) writes:
|> fred@sma2.uucp (Fred Brooks) writes:

|> >	I think that the Harris H series is a 24/48-bit computer. The AN/UYK-62
|> >is a Harris H-300.
|>
|> Unisys A-Series machines are 48bit machines and are currently available
|> in the market....
|>
|> Ram Madduluri
|> --
|>  _
|> Ram Madduluri
|>
|> Unisys UNIX Networks

Does the Harris H series still supported ??  I worked on both the 24 bit and
48 bit Harris machines for about a year and half.  What about the Vulcan OS
on the Harris machines.  Now that was an experience!!

--
Charles Johnson
Intel Corporation, Supercomputer Systems Division

dricejb@drilex.UUCP (Craig Jackson drilex1) (03/21/91)

In article <1126@spim.mips.COM> mash@mips.com (John Mashey) writes:
>In article <1991Mar18.220827.27542@unislc.uucp> ram@unislc.uucp (Ram Madduluri) writes:
>
>>Unisys A-Series machines are 48bit machines and are currently available
>>in the market....
>
>Is that true? I thought the A-series was 51 bits or more, upward-compatible
>from B6500, etc.  Did these go back to the 48 used by B5500?

The A-Series, like the B6500 before it, has 48-bit words visible in the
applications architecture.  E-mode level Beta and Gamma machines also have
4 tag bits with each word; the B6500 had 3.  All of the machines had
various other bits associated with each word for parity, SECDEC, etc.

If one wishes, one can consider the A-Series a 52-bit architecture from
an operating systems viewpoint.  However, the tag bits cannot take on
arbitrary values--the meanings are defined by the hardware.

From the view of applications other than compilers and linkers, it is
a 48-bit machine.  The tag bits are not addressable.  (If they were, the
machine would not be secure--the A-Series (and the B6500) have no
hardware distinction between kernel and user mode.)
--
Craig Jackson
dricejb@drilex.dri.mgh.com

koll@NECAM.tdd.sj.nec.com (Michael Goldman) (03/22/91)

BTW, the Intel 386/486 has a seldom mentioned 14-bit segment register to
handle multiple 32-bit spaces (for multiple large disks for virtual memory?)
so one could think of it as a 46-bit machine.  The reason they chose 14 bits
instead of 16 is that ..(militarily sensitive material deleted).. which clearly
proves to anyone that we'll all have to scrap our base 16 calculators and
switch to base 14 (easily divisible by 7, 2, & 3.5) ;)

("Segments!? Did someone say SEGMENTS!!??  SLOOWWLY I TURNED, STEP BY STEP...")