[comp.arch] Multis

lindsay@gandalf.cs.cmu.edu (Donald Lindsay) (03/24/91)

In article <14337@encore.Encore.COM> jcallen@encore.Com (Jerry Callen) writes:
::[It's also a way to stay ahead of the IBM RS/6000, which reportedly
::won't be multiprocessor until 1995 or 1996.]
>IBM has been building multiprocessor mainframes
>for a long time, and it would really surprise me if it takes them 4 years
>to build an MP RS/6000.

The RS/6000 could have been a multiprocessor to begin with, but at
some level, IBM decided not to do that. My best guess is that
multiprocessor support was (in their opinion) incompatible with
obtaining absolute maximum uniprocessor performance.

I don't think I agree, but I'd like to hear any dissenting opinions.
--
Don		D.C.Lindsay .. temporarily at Carnegie Mellon Robotics