[comp.arch] PDP-10

ddb@ns.network.com (David Dyer-Bennet) (10/09/90)

In article <71383@sgi.sgi.com> rpw3@sgi.com (Rob Warnock) writes:
[referring to the DEC PDP-10]
:I don't recall any production software that used 9-bit bytes, though at least
:one attempt at an experimental C compiler used them.

I seem to recall that the COBOL compiler used them for some modes of
character data or character numeric data.  Can't figure out why
offhand, though.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, ddb@terrabit.fidonet.org
or ddb@network.com

parke@star.enet.dec.com (Bill Parke) (10/10/90)

In article <1990Oct8.214604.25320@ns.network.com>, ddb@ns.network.com (David
Dyer-Bennet) writes:
|> From: ddb@ns.network.com (David Dyer-Bennet)
|> Newsgroups: comp.arch
|> Subject: PDP-10 (was: Looking for a really odd computer)
|>
|> In article <71383@sgi.sgi.com> rpw3@sgi.com (Rob Warnock) writes:
|> [referring to the DEC PDP-10]
|> :I don't recall any production software that used 9-bit bytes, though at
least
|> :one attempt at an experimental C compiler used them.
|>
|> I seem to recall that the COBOL compiler used them for some modes of
|> character data or character numeric data.  Can't figure out why
|> offhand, though.

	At the time, there was a lot of COBOL applications on some other
	vendors hardware with 4 bytes per word and eight bit encoding.
	9 Bits, holds 8 and works, evenly, 4 bytes per 36 bit word.

	Most ASCII was 5 7 bit bytes, with the bottom bit left over.
	Setting this bottom bit caused lots of things (SOS, compilers etc) to
	ignore the "line number" (which just happened to be 5 digits).

|> --
|> David Dyer-Bennet, ddb@terrabit.fidonet.org
|> or ddb@network.com
|> or ddb@Lynx.MN.Org, ...{amdahl,hpda}!bungia!viper!ddb
|> or Fidonet 1:282/341.0, (612) 721-8967 9600hst/2400/1200/300

--
Bill Parke 			parke%star.enet.dec@decwrl.dec.com
VMS Development			decwrl!star.enet.dec.com!parke

The views expressed are my own.

rick@pavlov.ssctr.bcm.tmc.edu (Richard H. Miller) (10/10/90)

In article <1990Oct8.214604.25320@ns.network.com> ddb@ns.network.com (David Dyer-Bennet) writes:
>In article <71383@sgi.sgi.com> rpw3@sgi.com (Rob Warnock) writes:
>[referring to the DEC PDP-10]
>:I don't recall any production software that used 9-bit bytes, though at least
>:one attempt at an experimental C compiler used them.
>
>I seem to recall that the COBOL compiler used them for some modes of
>character data or character numeric data.  Can't figure out why
>offhand, though.

Ah yes....DISPLAY-9. This was also known as EBCDIC. The COBOL compiler would generate IBM
compatible programs and would write a tape or read a tape which could be used on an IBM system
(32 bit word size, 4 bytes/word). DISPLAY-9 would store 4 characters in a word and when you
wrote to the tape, would convert the 36 bit words to 32 bit frames on the tape. Once could
select DISPLAY-9 explicitly or one would get it automatically when an IBM recording mode was
selected on the FD statement in the data division. It actually worked fairly well, but the
programmer had to be very careful that his/her record sizes were an even multiple of both 6
and 4.

--
Richard H. Miller                 Email: rick@bcm.tmc.edu
Asst. Dir. for Technical Support  Voice: (713)798-3532

an288@cleveland.Freenet.Edu (Mark Hittinger) (03/24/91)

I fiddled with this for a long while after they took my (sniff) KL-10 model A
out the door.  I'd just managed to get 7.02 to run on it.....

Its not ship-able....I wasn't able to get good performance even on the
VAX8650.  I could probably do better today with some kind of PC card and
one of these new MIPS chips.

Anybody else fiddling with this?  Systems Concepts?  I'd need help with the
tops-20 pager and writing code to emulate those WEIRDO string instructions
like EDIT.  I had half decided to just write a KI-10 emulator and tell the
20 people to go away....but....

Could we get tops-10 to run legally?

There were two pdp-11 emulators on the 10.

--
Mark Hittinger [answering machine (606)-272-2424
PO BOX 43358

andrew@alice.att.com (Andrew Hume) (03/27/91)

	i have a listing of a fortran program that emulates a pdp11(-20?),
a disk and a console interface. it was sufficiently accurate that while
running on a honeywell, it booted and ran the V6 distribution tape for Unix.
if someone wants to ocr it in....

andrew hume