[comp.arch] EISA SCSI?

jcallen@Encore.COM (Jerry Callen) (04/04/91)

In article <32580007@hpcuhe.cup.hp.com> linley@hpcuhe.cup.hp.com (Linley Gwennap) writes:
>The June '91 release
>of HP-UX will support a high-performance EISA SCSI adapter providing
>a 10MB/second (burst) transfer rate to the disk.

What _is_ a "high-performance EISA SCSI adapter?" From my own possibly limited
knowledge of technobabble I would guess this to be an "Extended Industry
Standard Architecture SCSI adapter," which is something I would expect to
drop into a high-end PC clone. Do these new HP machines use the EISA bus
for peripherals?  If so, I somehow missed that in the earlier postings.

-- Jerry Callen
   jcallen@encore.com

clc5q@madras.cs.Virginia.EDU (Clark L. Coleman) (04/06/91)

In article <14488@encore.Encore.COM> jcallen@encore.Com (Jerry Callen) writes:
!#In article <32580007@hpcuhe.cup.hp.com> linley@hpcuhe.cup.hp.com (Linley Gwennap) writes:
!#!#The June '91 release
!#!#of HP-UX will support a high-performance EISA SCSI adapter providing
!#!#a 10MB/second (burst) transfer rate to the disk.
!#
!#What _is_ a "high-performance EISA SCSI adapter?" From my own possibly limited
!#knowledge of technobabble I would guess this to be an "Extended Industry
!#Standard Architecture SCSI adapter," which is something I would expect to
!#drop into a high-end PC clone. Do these new HP machines use the EISA bus
!#for peripherals?  If so, I somehow missed that in the earlier postings.

Yes, they use the EISA bus for peripherals. The adapter allows 3rd-party
SCSI disks to be cheaply interfaced to EISA.

EISA peripheral buses will max out at about 33MBytes/second, which is
well beyond today's SCSI capabilities, and far beyond a PC clone,
high end or otherwise. HP has previously announced that their whole
workstation line will migrate toward the EISA bus for peripherals. Their
previous peripheral bus was HP-IB, which was on the order of using two
tin cans and a string (just a little joke there, HP.)

"The use of COBOL cripples the mind; its teaching should, therefore, be
regarded as a criminal offence." E.W.Dijkstra, 18th June 1975.

linley@hpcuhe.cup.hp.com (Linley Gwennap) (04/09/91)

> (Jerry Callen) asks:
> Do these new HP machines use the EISA bus for peripherals?

The new Series 700 systems have built-in LAN and disc access and also
offer an EISA connection for additional peripherals.  Number of EISA
slots depends on the model number.

DISCLAIMER:  The views expressed here do not		Linley Gwennap
represent the views of the Hewlett-Packard		PA-RISC Marketing
Company.  Caveat emptor.				Hewlett-Packard