[comp.arch] RISC & CISC; also ANSWER TO cfc1 question

mash@mips.com (John Mashey) (05/04/91)

In article <8283@uceng.UC.EDU> dmocsny@minerva.che.uc.edu (Daniel Mocsny) writes:
>If RISC gets 5 years ahead of CISC in hardware speed, that will be
>enough to counter its software lag, which is probably of the same
>order. (I.e., if present trends continue, the software available in
>5 years for the current major RISC families, assuming they preserve
>binary compatibility, *might* resemble the software available NOW for
>the 80x86 family, in terms of range and price. However, leading-edge
>hardware seems hard-pressed to maintain binary compatibility very
>far backwards. This is *precisely* the software advantage and
>hardware disadvantage of CISC.)

>Do comp.arch pundits see RISC chips widening their gap over the
>CISC chips? If the performance gap stays at a factor of two or three,
>that represents a ~2 year hardware delay for CISC, which doesn't seem
>large compared to the ~5 year software lead for CISC. Also, consider
>that very few individual users are able to keep even a '386 machine
>busy all the time. To do even that is an intense, full-time job for
>anyone whose problem can't be solved in one "for" loop.

>average Sparcstation, primarily because the average PC or Mac user can
>afford more applications. The average useful program, if available
>under UNIX, costs 2--10 times as much as the DOS or Mac equivalent.
>This problem isn't going away anytime soon.
>
>Of course, since CISC and RISC are Turing-equivalent, there is no
>fundamental reason why the software lead of CISC should be immutable.
>In the real world, however, transparent portability across
>architectures appears elusive, for a variety of reasons, and most
>of them seem rather silly.

All of this sounds like a plausible argument ... 6 years ago.
So, explain why  almost every major computer company (and now including
	most of the larger PC companies) either is already shipping
	a RISC-based product.....
	Are they all fools?

Note that "the i386 is enough" is looking through the rear-view mirror;
you can do some terrific things if you can get 50-100 mips cheap;
(mostly to make computers a lot easier to use).
Aggressive software developers out there understand this and are working
in that direction, because it's going to happen.

Following note is to somebody from CMU that asked about cfc1 instruction,
but whose mail I lost somewhere:  cfc1 stalls until all operations complete;
the double cfc1s you saw should not be there, there was some case for
an old FP board years ago, but the double cfc1 should be long gone.
UUCP: 	 mash@mips.com OR {ames,decwrl,prls,pyramid}!mips!mash
DDD:  	408-524-7015, 524-8253 or (main number) 408-720-1700
USPS: 	MIPS Computer Systems MS 1/05, 930 E. Arques, Sunnyvale, CA 94088-3650