[comp.arch] Oh stop it!

cdshaw@cs.UAlberta.CA (Chris Shaw) (05/06/91)

In article <moreWhiningWhiningWhiningWhining> (Herman Rubin) writes:
>What you have shown is that a compiler can, in effect, extend a language
>by looking for certain code patterns.  I fail to see that this procedure,
>which will always be limited by the information given to the compiler
>writers, and which can also sometimes lead to difficulties, is better
>than allowing the user to extend the language and pass the information
>to the compiler in such a way that it can use more of the machine capabilities.

>Herman Rubin, Dept. of Statistics, Purdue Univ., West Lafayette IN47907-1399

Yes, Dr. Rubin, we KNOW you fail to see this. You've been failing to see this
for at least 8 years. Why don't you write a compiler that allows all these
"I'm the boss" type operations you keep talking about? This would accomplish
3 things: (1) You'd get a compiler you can appreciate, (2) You'd know what
you're talking about as regards compiler design, and (3) You'd be so busy
writing this compiler that you would have no chance to post to comp.arch
with your complaints, thereby making us all happy.

Now quit whining and start designing!

PS: Item number 1 is meant to be taken seriously.
    Items 2 & 3 are half- :-)}, and are not intended to offend.
--
Chris Shaw     University of Alberta
cdshaw@cs.UAlberta.ca           Now with new, minty Internet flavour!