[comp.arch] Creeping Featureism

robp@laura.network.com (Rob Peglar) (05/13/91)

In article <12164@mentor.cc.purdue.edu> hrubin@pop.stat.purdue.edu (Herman Rubin) writes:
>In article <28297C23.6984@tct.com>, chip@tct.com (Chip Salzenberg) writes:
>> According to hrubin@pop.stat.purdue.edu (Herman Rubin):
>
>> >I believe most people are aware of the existence of simulation, including
>> >Monte Carlo, or Las Vegas, methods for obtaining answers to otherwise
>> >intractable problems.
>
>> That kind of problem is not "generally important" in that it does not
>> come up in the "general computing base".
>
>That something is not important to everyone is no reason no to make it
>available to those who can see a use for it.
>
>How much of the driving public uses the low gears of automatic transmissions?

I suppose we shall have the Acme Computer Company design and deliver the following
two systems:

1)  The CS system, bundled with hardware and software that only the 'general
    computing base' uses, therefore never accomplishing anything outside of
    the ordinary and general.

2)  The HR system, bundled with every known gizmo known to man, therefore never
    accomplishing anything of general usefulness.

Come on now boys, give it a rest.  At least take your e-war to the mail stream
instead of comp.arch.

Please.

Rob
--
Rob Peglar               Network Systems Corporation
Internetwork Group       7600 Boone Avenue North