[comp.arch] Extensible languages

amos@SHUM.HUJI.AC.IL (amos shapir) (05/14/91)

[Quoted from the referenced article by peter@ficc.ferranti.com (peter da silva)]
>In article <11996@mentor.cc.purdue.edu>, hrubin@pop.stat.purdue.edu (Herman Rubin) writes:

>> Even more than inlining is making intrinsic.  This is effectively doing
>> a macro expansion of the instruction into machine primitives, with the
>> full capabilities of register assignment, etc., so that full optimization
>> can be carried out.
>
>You mean like in G++? I admit that C++ isn't the best of all possible
>languages, but the combination of inlining, operator definitions, and
>GCCs inline assembler (which appears to allow register reassignment)
>is pretty close to what you want.

Part of this was implemented in ANAT, "the natural assembler"; old C for
the PDP11 also came close.  One can understand why Herman Rubin's wishes
will remain unanswered, by observing what had happened to these languages:
ANAT became obsolete with the hardware it was implemented for (Z80? I forget)
while C has become more portable, and has lost a part of its bit-twiddling
ability in the process.

--
	Amos Shapir		amos@cs.huji.ac.il
The Hebrew Univ. of Jerusalem, Dept. of Comp. Science.