[comp.arch] New Moto chips

jcallen@Encore.COM (Jerry Callen) (05/03/91)

In article <3397@crdos1.crd.ge.COM> davidsen@crdos1.crd.ge.com (bill davidsen) writes:
>  Perhaps integrating the cache, MMU, and FPU on the same chip has had
>some effect? A savings which I see is now being copied in RISC. Chips
>like the Intel 32 bit CISC offerings do make design a lot easier, and
>because of fewer support ships and connection smaller, cheaper, and more
>reliable.

Harumph...the latest chip announcements from Motorola include (more or less):

- a 68040 with the MMU and FPU disabled
- a 68030 with the MMU disabled
- cheaper/faster/better 68020s and 68000s (no FPU or MMU to disable)

What's the price of the cheapest Moto chip to include an MMU (68030)?

-- Jerry Callen
   jcallen@encore.com

melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) (05/03/91)

In article <14720@encore.Encore.COM> jcallen@Encore.COM (Jerry Callen) writes:

   Harumph...the latest chip announcements from Motorola include (more or less):

   - a 68040 with the MMU and FPU disabled
   - a 68030 with the MMU disabled
   - cheaper/faster/better 68020s and 68000s (no FPU or MMU to disable)

   What's the price of the cheapest Moto chip to include an MMU (68030)?

I hope NeXT isn't planning to put any of these in their machines.
They just won't do the job.  It sounds like Apple trying to keep those
profit margins up.

-Mike

sysmgr@KING.ENG.UMD.EDU (Doug Mohney) (05/04/91)

In article <14720@encore.Encore.COM>, jcallen@Encore.COM (Jerry Callen) writes:
>Harumph...the latest chip announcements from Motorola include (more or less):
>
>- a 68040 with the MMU and FPU disabled
>- a 68030 with the MMU disabled
>- cheaper/faster/better 68020s and 68000s (no FPU or MMU to disable)
>
>What's the price of the cheapest Moto chip to include an MMU (68030)?

I hate the marketing dweebs at Intel (yes, Intel) who started pushing this idea
of making and selling castrated chips to capture market share.... I suppose
if you want your toaster to be binary-compatible with your Mac, it's a
wonderful idea, but somehow my skin crawls at this bastardization of technology
on the basis of a marketing decision.

Of course, Intel is the Great Satan in all of this, having started up the
'386SX to go head-to-head with the AMD et al '286 clones, thereby killing
anything less than a '386SX (this might be construed as a Good Thing, because
the '286 was screwed up to being with), and the '486SX to compete with the AMD
'386 real-deal clones.

     Signature envy: quality of some people to put 24+ lines in their .sigs
  -- >                  SYSMGR@CADLAB.ENG.UMD.EDU                        < --

sef@kithrup.COM (Sean Eric Fagan) (05/04/91)

In article <009480D4.E6FADF40@KING.ENG.UMD.EDU> sysmgr@KING.ENG.UMD.EDU (Doug Mohney) writes:
>I hate the marketing dweebs at Intel (yes, Intel) who started pushing this idea
>of making and selling castrated chips to capture market share....

And I hate the educational dweebs at UMD (yes, UMD) who started pushing this
idea that all things they dislike are evils started by Intel.

>I suppose
>if you want your toaster to be binary-compatible with your Mac, it's a
>wonderful idea, but somehow my skin crawls at this bastardization of technology
>on the basis of a marketing decision.

Obviously, there would *never* be any embedded applications currently using
an 8086 or 68k which could use faster processors.  I mean, if they don't
need virtual memory, then they really don't need to run at faster than
4.77MHz, right?

sef@kithrup.COM  |  I had a bellyache at the time."

 >   Harumph...the latest chip announcements from Motorola include (more
 > or less):
 >
 >   - a 68040 with the MMU and FPU disabled
 >   - a 68030 with the MMU disabled
 >   - cheaper/faster/better 68020s and 68000s (no FPU or MMU to disable)

 >I hope NeXT isn't planning to put any of these in their machines.
 >They just won't do the job.  It sounds like Apple trying to keep those
 >profit margins up.

Those chips sound like the 68EC040, 68EC030, 68EC020, and 68EC000,
respectively; "EC" stands, presumably, for "Embedded Controller", that
being what the chips are intended to serve as CPUs for.  I don't think
Motorola had UNIX-box vendors like NeXT in mind; they may or may not
have had Apple in mind, but I wouldn't be the least surprised to find
they didn't have Apple in mind either.

It doesn't sound to *me* at all like "Apple trying to keep those profit
margins up"; it sounds like Motorola trying to retain or increase market
share in embedded control....

In article <14720@encore.Encore.COM> jcallen@encore.Com (Jerry Callen) writes:

| - a 68040 with the MMU and FPU disabled
| - a 68030 with the MMU disabled

  Following in Intel's footsteps, taking something functional and
reducing functionality to boost the profit margin and hurt competition.
There's a nice technical term for chips with functions disabled by bean
counters: capon.
        "Most of the VAX instructions are in microcode,
         but halt and no-op are in hardware for efficiency"

kdarling@hobbes.catt.ncsu.edu (Kevin Darling) (05/06/91)

davidsen@crdos1.crd.ge.COM (Wm E Davidsen Jr) writes:
>In article <14720@encore.Encore.COM> jcallen@encore.Com (Jerry Callen) writes:
>|
>| - a 68040 with the MMU and FPU disabled
>| - a 68030 with the MMU disabled
>
>  Following in Intel's footsteps, taking something functional and
>reducing functionality to boost the profit margin and hurt competition.

I was under the impression that these were simply chips which didn't pass
all the MMU/FPU tests.  Maybe not.  But if they're willing to sell me
them at a lower price for controller apps, I have no objection at all :-).
  cheers - kevin <kdarling@catt.ncsu.edu>

wicklund@intellistor.com (Tom Wicklund) (05/07/91)

In <7627@auspex.auspex.com> guy@auspex.auspex.com (Guy Harris) writes:

>Those chips sound like the 68EC040, 68EC030, 68EC020, and 68EC000,
>respectively; "EC" stands, presumably, for "Embedded Controller", that
>being what the chips are intended to serve as CPUs for.  I don't think
>Motorola had UNIX-box vendors like NeXT in mind; they may or may not
>have had Apple in mind, but I wouldn't be the least surprised to find
>they didn't have Apple in mind either.

They are the 68ECxxx series.  They are intended for embedded
applications, meaning they have the MMU/FPU removed, fewer address
lines (24 instead of 32 in 68EC020 and (I think) 68EC030.

The advantages of these chips are lower cost and standardized tools.
Using a 68ECxxx (or 80x86) for embedded applications one can choose
from a large number of tools designed for the procesor.  Speed and
compiler quality are much better than microcontrollers (the
6811/8051/8096 etc families are SLOW and compilers are relatively hard
to optimize).

The market Motorola is going after is for high performance embedded
systems such as disk controllers (and drives), communication
controllers (e.g. 16 serial ports, Ethernet, FDDI), and automobiles
(the 68332 was designed for one of the auto makers).  The choices for
high performance are processors like these or signal processors
(DSPs).  DSPs are best for applications requiring multiple /
accumulate operations (they range up to multi-megaflop performance),
however there are many embedded applications that just need a fast
processor.  For instance, I've worked for many years with disk
controllers.  Not counting initialization or error recovery (where
performance isn't a real issue) the code had 2 divide and 2 multiply
operations.  So math performance isn't critical -- primarily high
instruction execution rates.

Some of the RISC makers are also starting to address the embedded
systems market with RISC processors which don't need as many support
chips or work with slower (cheaper) memory.

peter@ficc.ferranti.com (peter da silva) (05/07/91)

In article <1991May03.182247.25757@kithrup.COM>, sef@kithrup.COM (Sean Eric Fagan) writes:
> In article <009480D4.E6FADF40@KING.ENG.UMD.EDU> sysmgr@KING.ENG.UMD.EDU (Doug Mohney) writes:
> >I hate the marketing dweebs at Intel (yes, Intel) who started pushing this idea
> >of making and selling castrated chips to capture market share....

> And I hate the educational dweebs at UMD (yes, UMD) who started pushing this
> idea that all things they dislike are evils started by Intel.

Sure. Crippling a product and selling it for less has a long history. I
remember a multi-thousand dollar upgrade for a Honeywell printer that
involved removing a PC card and flipping a switch. Intel is just the first
chip manufacturer to get the sort of demand curve that lets them get away
with this. Blame the consumers who keep buying trash and then buying more
and bigger CPUs to try to make that trash look good.
--
Peter da Silva.  `-_-'  peter@ferranti.com

dcarr@hobbit.gandalf.ca (Dave Carr) (05/07/91)

In <3403@crdos1.crd.ge.COM> davidsen@crdos1.crd.ge.COM (Wm E Davidsen Jr) writes:

>In article <14720@encore.Encore.COM> jcallen@encore.Com (Jerry Callen) writes:

>| - a 68040 with the MMU and FPU disabled
>| - a 68030 with the MMU disabled

>  Following in Intel's footsteps, taking something functional and
>reducing functionality to boost the profit margin and hurt competition.
>There's a nice technical term for chips with functions disabled by bean
>counters: capon.

I don't know about Intels crippled chips, but the Moto EC series are different
dies than their more capable forerunners.  According to our Moto rep, this was
done to get more dies/wafer, and higher yields which is reflected in the price
of the chips.

sysmgr@KING.ENG.UMD.EDU (Doug Mohney) (05/07/91)

In article <N64B5=6@xds13.ferranti.com>, peter@ficc.ferranti.com (peter da silva) writes:
>In article <1991May03.182247.25757@kithrup.COM>, sef@kithrup.COM (Sean Eric Fagan) writes:
>> In article <009480D4.E6FADF40@KING.ENG.UMD.EDU> sysmgr@KING.ENG.UMD.EDU (Doug Mohney) writes:
>> >I hate the marketing dweebs at Intel (yes, Intel) who started pushing this idea
>> >of making and selling castrated chips to capture market share....
>
>> And I hate the educational dweebs at UMD (yes, UMD) who started pushing this
>> idea that all things they dislike are evils started by Intel.
>
>Sure. Crippling a product and selling it for less has a long history. I
>remember a multi-thousand dollar upgrade for a Honeywell printer that
>involved removing a PC card and flipping a switch. Intel is just the first
>chip manufacturer to get the sort of demand curve that lets them get away
>with this.

When you have a near-monopoly, you can afford to do this. Unfortunately, you're
not competing on technology, you're competing on a marketing gimmick and to
flog the competition.

While the ACE consortium is still forming up, I think the embracing of MIPS by
Compaq is a good thing and should give the Intel 80x86 series some legit
competition.

(diverging thought...) My hat is off to Digital, however. In one fell swoop,
they turned half of ACE (the MIPS folks) into making DECstation clones.

edwardm@hpcuhe.cup.hp.com (Edward McClanahan) (05/09/91)

Jerry Callen writes:

> Harumph...the latest chip announcements from Motorola include (more or less):

> - a 68040 with the MMU and FPU disabled
> - a 68030 with the MMU disabled
> - cheaper/faster/better 68020s and 68000s (no FPU or MMU to disable)

Others discuss the apparent illogic of some of these...

I think that Intel is the worst:

- 486SX - same as 486, but 16-bit external data paths and no FPU
- 487SX - actually the same as 486SX but with an FPU
        - Intel designed a special socket to parallel the 486SX so
          that if the 487SX is inserted, the 486SX is disabled and
          the 487SX becomes the CPU (w/ FPU)

Intel claims that "inserting an FPU in a socket next to the CPU" is what
customers want.  What crap!  Why not just remove the 486SX and insert the
487SX in its place?  Pinout patterns different you say?  The 486SX is
soldered to the board (and not socketed)?  I just don't understand the
market for the 486SX (as it is really closer to a 386 than a 486).

  Edward McClanahan
  Hewlett Packard Company     -or-     edwardm@cup.hp.com
  Mail Stop 42UN
  11000 Wolfe Road                     Phone: (480)447-5651
  Cupertino, CA  95014                 Fax:   (408)447-5039

lindsay@gandalf.cs.cmu.edu (Donald Lindsay) (05/12/91)

In article <3403@crdos1.crd.ge.COM> davidsen@crdos1.crd.ge.com
	(bill davidsen) writes:
>| - a 68040 with the MMU and FPU disabled
>| - a 68030 with the MMU disabled
>  Following in Intel's footsteps, taking something functional and
>reducing functionality to boost the profit margin and hurt competition.

Actually, Motorola's strategy is quite different from Intel's.  These
chips (the EC series) should be seen as compatible upgrades to the
low-end 68Ks, not downgrades of the high-end. They've made changes
(such as pinout) which are aimed at pleasing the current customers of
the older low-end chips.

I heard yesterday about a board which used to contain a SPARC. The
new, ten-times-faster version of the board is going to contain a 68K
instead, because the heavy work obviously had to be migrated to
hardware, and a 68K is now cheap.
--
Don		D.C.Lindsay 	Carnegie Mellon Robotics Institute

sauer@chs.dell.com (Charlie Sauer) (05/12/91)

In article <32580029@hpcuhe.cup.hp.com> edwardm@hpcuhe.cup.hp.com (Edward McClanahan) writes:
>- 486SX - same as 486, but 16-bit external data paths and no FPU

The 486SX external data paths are 32 bit.  No FPU, slower clock and different
pinout are the main functional differences from the standard 486.
--
Charlie Sauer       Dell Computer Corp.        !'s:uunet!dell!sauer
(512) 343-3310      9505 Arboretum Blvd        @'s:sauer@dell.com

>- 486SX - same as 486, but 16-bit external data paths and no FPU

You've obviously been confused by the "SX" in "486SX".  The 486SX has
32-bit external data paths, the "SX" nonwithstanding.

>I just don't understand the market for the 486SX (as it is really
>closer to a 386 than a 486).

I assume the market is "folks who don't need the FPU but want a faster
processor".

ward@vlsi.waterloo.edu (Paul Ward) (05/13/91)

In article <7765@auspex.auspex.com> guy@auspex.auspex.com (Guy Harris) writes:
>>- 486SX - same as 486, but 16-bit external data paths and no FPU
>
>You've obviously been confused by the "SX" in "486SX".  The 486SX has
>32-bit external data paths, the "SX" nonwithstanding.
>
>>I just don't understand the market for the 486SX (as it is really
>>closer to a 386 than a 486).
>
>I assume the market is "folks who don't need the FPU but want a faster
>processor".

And demand a 486, 'cause it is the latest and greatest.  (:-)

--
"One can certainly imagine the myriad of uses for a hand-held iguana maker."
								-  Hobbes.

stevel@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Steve Ligett) (05/14/91)

In article <14720@encore.Encore.COM> jcallen@encore.Com (Jerry Callen) writes:
>(some complaints about chips for toasters)
>
>What's the price of the cheapest Moto chip to include an MMU (68030)?

You know, the ec030 is cheaper than the 030 for two reasons; they took
out the mmu, and they put it in a plastic pin-grid array (rather than
ceramic).  You may recall that the NSC 32532 was "cheapened" in the same
manner to make the 32gx32(!?).

Looking at the logic board for a Macintosh SE/30, I noticed that the
030 on the board is in a PLASTIC pin-grid array package.  I called Wyle
Labs, and was told that no, Motorola doesn't offer the 030 in a plastic
pin-grid array package.

So, perhaps they only make it for Apple.  I wonder if they will offer it
generally.  I wonder how much (little!) Apple pays for 030's.
--
steve.ligett@dartmouth.edu or ...!dartvax!steve.ligett

golds@fjc.GOV (Rich Goldschmidt) (05/16/91)

> >>I just don't understand the market for the 486SX (as it is really
> >>closer to a 386 than a 486).
>>I assume the market is "folks who don't need the FPU but want a faster
>>processor".
> And demand a 486, 'cause it is the latest and greatest.  (:-)

My understanding is that a large part of the market for a 486SX is for the
laptop (now notebook) market.  They need chips with low power consumption to
make the batteries last.

--
Rich Goldschmidt: uunet!fjcp60!golds or golds@fjc.gov
Commercialization of space is the best way to escape the zero-sum economy.

>My understanding is that a large part of the market for a 486SX is for the
>laptop (now notebook) market.  They need chips with low power consumption to
>make the batteries last.

The 486SX uses, allegedly, the same die as the 486; does it really
consume less power?

Or are you thinking of the 386SL (not SX, SL)?