[comp.arch] Amdahl's Rule

terry@uts.amdahl.com (Lewis T. Flynn) (05/18/91)

There was a discussion in this group recently concerning Amdahl's Rule
and whether it should be updated, if it still held, etc. Some portions
of what was being quoted didn't ring exactly true so I did some
homework. First, I checked Hennessey and Patterson to see what was
said on the subject there and it mostly agreed with what was on the
net. So rather than do more second hand research, I called Gene to
ask him about it. As it happened, he was out of the country, but, being
the gentleman he is, he returned my call when he got back.

As to the 1 megabit of I/O capacity per MIPS rule: he and his people
did a lot of research on what workloads were being run on the then
current machines (709/7090) and found that, in general, these workloads
used 1 bit of I/O per instruction. Thus, in order to run these
workloads, you must be able to sustain this rate. Peak I/O capability
must be much higher to handle variations in demand. The actual data
supporting this was from several sources and included a 2 month study
at Lawrence Livermore Laboratories. The numbers from Livermore were
1.01 bits per instruction during the day and 1.1 to 1.2 bits per
instruction for night time processing (my notes are a little fuzzy, so
I may have reversed the day versus night). He didn't say so, but from
the time frame and from the extensive study done at Livermore, I would
speculate that this work was done as part of the research for the
Stretch project.

As to the 1 megabyte per MIPS rule: he stated that this was influenced
by the cost of memory for the 709 series. He later found that on the
7090 that 2 megabytes/MIPS was more reasonable and this value held when
he was doing 360/370 design at IBM and Amdahl. He said it really showed
when the 370s hit the 16meg limit (24 bit addressing) and faster
processors got no better throughput.

I guess the most useful thing to conclude from this is that the first
rule of processor design is "Know Thy Workload". The second most useful
thing is that there's no substitute for lots of research and
measurement.

Terry

Disclaimer: Dr. Gene Amdahl no longer has any affiliation with Amdahl
Corporation and my discussion with him was completely unofficial. I had
met Dr. Amdahl in the course of my duties at a previous company.

wigen@netcom.COM (Patrick L. Wigen) (05/19/91)

In article <48qO01yL75GS00@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com> terry@uts.amdahl.com (Lewis T. Flynn) writes:
>There was a discussion in this group recently concerning Amdahl's Rule
>I guess the most useful thing to conclude from this is that the first
>rule of processor design is "Know Thy Workload". The second most useful
>thing is that there's no substitute for lots of research and
>measurement.
>
>Terry

I do alot of work with many different systems mostly workstations lately
and whiel most people recommend roughly following Amdahl's rule (and are
probably not aware of it) I have noticed that doubling that figure
is usually most efficient. For example a Decstation 3100 that runs at
~12-14 MIPS running decwindows (X) runs much better with 24 MB of memory than
the usual recommendation of 16 MB. This is just a casual observation hoewever
and is not based on emperical data.

Patrick L. Wigen		wigen @netcom.com
no .sig yet.......

jerry@talos.npri.com (Jerry Gitomer) (05/21/91)

wigen@netcom.COM (Patrick L. Wigen) writes:

:In article <48qO01yL75GS00@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com: terry@uts.amdahl.com (Lewis T. Flynn) writes:
::There was a discussion in this group recently concerning Amdahl's Rule
:...
::I guess the most useful thing to conclude from this is that the first
::rule of processor design is "Know Thy Workload". The second most useful
::thing is that there's no substitute for lots of research and
::measurement.
::
::Terry

:I do alot of work with many different systems mostly workstations lately
:and whiel most people recommend roughly following Amdahl's rule (and are
:probably not aware of it) I have noticed that doubling that figure
:is usually most efficient. For example a Decstation 3100 that runs at
:~12-14 MIPS running decwindows (X) runs much better with 24 MB of memory than
:the usual recommendation of 16 MB. This is just a casual observation hoewever
:and is not based on emperical data.

	Since most "natural" workstation applications tend to be processor
	intensive while general purpose computing applications (the kind
	that I understand Amdahl based his rule on) tend to be I/O intensive
	this makes sense.

	This only goes to reinforce the need to "Know Thy Workload".

--
Jerry Gitomer at National Political Resources Inc, Alexandria, VA USA
I am apolitical, have no resources, and speak only for myself.

ddr@cs.ed.ac.uk (Doug Rogers) (05/23/91)

Amdahls law on memory must be thought of as pragmatic. There is no simple causal relationship that would suggest this ratio of between 1 and 2 Megabytes of
data per MIP. Two effects are at present anyway pulling in opposite directions.
The use of RISC machines demands more memory and the use of shared libraries reduces
memory needs. I think the DEC machine does not use shared libraries as is the case
for the HP offerings at present. Both these machines therefore require an excessive
amount of memory compared to the SUN machines. The size of memory is anyway dominated by the memory access time versus swap time. Speed up all the parts of the machine simultaneously and the machine will run proportionaly faster. Here I think the introduction of file servers and/or the use of discs which are not significantly faster than 5 years ago has forced the holding of all the cde in memory. ie page fualting is now very expensive.

The argument of cost also does not work as the relative cost of the system components has been changed dramatically. I wonder if the reason the ratio is being kept is because it is being designed for?

--
Douglas Rogers                     JANET: ddr@uk.ac.ed.lfcs
Department of Computer Science     UUCP:  ..!mcvax!ukc!lfcs!ddr

lindsay@gandalf.cs.cmu.edu (Donald Lindsay) (05/24/91)

In article <11299@skye.cs.ed.ac.uk> ddr@cs.ed.ac.uk (Doug Rogers) writes:
>The use of RISC machines demands more memory and the use of shared
>libraries reduces memory needs.

Surely the ratio of code-to-data shifts towards data as memory size
increases? I would have thought that this swamped the effects you
mention.

--
Don		D.C.Lindsay 	Carnegie Mellon Robotics Institute

ddr@cs.ed.ac.uk (Doug Rogers) (05/24/91)

In article <13179@pt.cs.cmu.edu>, lindsay@gandalf.cs.cmu.edu (Donald Lindsay) writes:
> In article <11299@skye.cs.ed.ac.uk> ddr@cs.ed.ac.uk (Doug Rogers) writes:
> >The use of RISC machines demands more memory and the use of shared
> >libraries reduces memory needs.
>
> Surely the ratio of code-to-data shifts towards data as memory size
> increases? I would have thought that this swamped the effects you
> mention.

From our experience of university computer usage, I would disagree. This was shown clearly when the SUN OS 4.0 came in, and a teaching cluster was transformed from unusable to usable. I don't have any figures though on this.

--

perry@hpfcdc.HP.COM (Perry Scott) (05/25/91)

>Re: Amdahl's Law
>
>The use of RISC machines demands more memory and the use of shared
>libraries reduces memory needs.  I think the DEC machine does not use
>shared libraries as is the case for the HP offerings at present.
>
>Douglas Rogers

Just a minor nit - the 8.X releases which are just hitting the streets
have shared libraries.  This is true for the current 9000/700 releases
as well.

Perry Scott
HP Ft Collins