[comp.arch] Derrick Lehmer & pseudo random numbers generation

bartho@obs.unige.ch (Paul Bartholdi, Geneva Observatory, Switzerland) (05/31/91)

In article <607@appserv.Eng.Sun.COM>, dgh@dgh.Eng.Sun.COM (David Hough) writes:
> The late Derrick Lehmer, emeritus professor at UC Berkeley, was a computer
> architect, system designer, system implementer, application programmer and
> end user before any of these terms were defined, and in fact before at
> least half of the people on comp.arch were born.  ...

For me, his was best known for having introduced in 1948 the "Linear
Congruential Method" used universaly to generate pseudo random numbers.  Sadly,
very few people give any reference to his papers on this subject (Knuth is an
exception).

Question: Does any one knows of a hardware implementation of the LCM ?

Tanks for all,                     Paul Bartholdi,  Geneva Observatory.