[comp.arch] Integer/floating

hrubin@pop.stat.purdue.edu (Herman Rubin) (05/17/91)

In article <15909@darkstar.ucsc.edu>, haynes@felix.ucsc.edu (99700000) writes:

> In article <12236@mentor.cc.purdue.edu> hrubin@pop.stat.purdue.edu (Herman Rubin) writes:
> >
> >Why do we have separate integer and floating units, especially without
> >communication between them?  I suggest those who push this horror look
> >at how difficult conversion between them is.  I have already pointed out
> >that every trigonometic and exponential routine does, in some way,
> >float/float -> integer, remainder.  The integer is also used.

> Now that we have a floating point standard that requires almost always
> normalizing I guess we can never go back to where we were in 1964.
> (Burroughs - er, ah, Unisys - is still making machines with the old
> number representation, but they must be mightly lonely.)

They are not the only ones; the CYBER 205/ETA 10 and the CRAYs still
have it.  Even the 360 and its descendents, which do not have integer/
floating communication, do not (and in this case cannot)have forced
normalization.

Is the 1-bit gain from forced normalization worth the other problems?
For example, without it, the RS/6000 would be capable of reasonable
52x52 -> 104 multiplication in its floating unit, with addition
included, especially if a quick add-to-exponent operation were
included.  Oops, that would require communication between the
integer and floating unit; so let's make that add-to-exponent
immediate.

Versatility cannot be easily added after the design, but it can be
before.
Phone: (317)494-6054
hrubin@l.cc.purdue.edu (Internet, bitnet)   {purdue,pur-ee}!l.cc!hrubin(UUCP)

amos@SHUM.HUJI.AC.IL (amos shapir) (05/23/91)

[Quoted from the referenced article by hrubin@pop.stat.purdue.edu (Herman Rubin)]

>Is the 1-bit gain from forced normalization worth the other problems?

Normalization is not done just for saving one bit.  Its main purpose is
to ensure a 1-1 correspondence between bit patterns and numeric values.
Efficiency is also served: the format used by the IEEE754 standard also
produces monotonous values, which makes comparison of FP numbers very easy.

--
	Amos Shapir		amos@cs.huji.ac.il
The Hebrew Univ. of Jerusalem, Dept. of Comp. Science.

herrickd@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com (06/02/91)

In article <1207@shum.huji.ac.il>, amos@SHUM.HUJI.AC.IL (amos shapir) writes:
> Efficiency is also served: the format used by the IEEE754 standard also
> produces monotonous values, which makes comparison of FP numbers very easy.

This thread has not become monotonous, it is just beginning to be
interesting.

The word you wanted is monotonic.  (Don't be offended, my Hebrew is
very poor.)

dan herrick
herrickd@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com