[comp.arch] iWarp Architecture

lindsay@gandalf.cs.cmu.edu (Donald Lindsay) (06/09/91)

In article <4077@ssc-bee.ssc-vax.UUCP>
	carroll@ssc-vax.UUCP (Jeff Carroll) writes:
>Professor Kung has been pushing the Warp project at CMU for
>a decade or so now, and Intel has been at work on iWarp for several years
>funded in part by the Department of Defense.

About right. The first Warp was wire wrapped: the second was PCB: and
now, by collaboration with Intel, Kung has got a node down to one
chip + RAM chips. The design has evolved somewhat in that time, with
the compiler people having a large say. The communications issues
have received a lot of study, and there is (gasp!) an actual user
community for the pre-intel Warp, albeit a very small one.

[Just last week, my smiling face was image-processed through a Warp:
this in aid of a local enhancement to the idea of "finger"ing people.
Kung has in fact taken the I/O issue quite seriously, and is a major
force behind our efforts in high speed networking.]

This isn't Intel's only collaboration. They are building chips for
Dally's J-machine, for example. This strikes me as quite intelligent:
costly, but it brings new experiences into the company, and any one
project just might wind up paying for all of them.
--
Don		D.C.Lindsay 	Carnegie Mellon Robotics Institute