[comp.arch] Sales Figures

lindsay@gandalf.cs.cmu.edu (Donald Lindsay) (06/16/91)

In article <16586@ganymede.inmos.co.uk>
	steved@inmos.co.uk (Stephen Doyle) writes:
>RISC Processor Unit Shipments (000s)
>Processor             1989     1990     cum.
>transputer             190      240      540

These numbers certainly re-emphasize the idea that RISC isn't a
product, per se. The i386 has actually sold quite badly - if the
comparison is by part count, against 4-bit microcontrollers.

Speaking of controllers, Ford just made an interesting choice: they
are committing to the 88300 family. For those not familiar,
Motorola's 300 family contains either a 68K or 88K CPU, RAM, ROM, and
specialized options, tied together by a 16-bit onchip bus. I'm
pleased to see the family succeed: Ford will eventually be buying
6,000,000 of them annually.
--
Don		D.C.Lindsay 	Carnegie Mellon Robotics Institute