[comp.arch] small instructions

william@syacus.acus.oz.au (William Mason) (06/10/91)

	If RISC is *it*  ... How come the guy with shor legs
	can't winn the olympic foot races ???

 	-- M. Miller (curtsey H. Corte).
--
-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --< today is a better day >-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
 _--_|\    William Mason                 ACSnet:    william@syacus.acus.OZ

yrjola@hkkk.fi (Matti Yrjola) (06/11/91)

In <1991Jun9.214548.23661@syacus.acus.oz.au> william@syacus.acus.oz.au (William Mason) writes:

>	If RISC is *it*  ... How come the guy with shor legs
>	can't winn the olympic foot races ???

> 	-- M. Miller (curtsey H. Corte).
>--

Maybe he can`t win, but he will beat the man with the stilts.
--
----------------------------------------------------- I did it  M   M  Y   Y
 Matti Yrjola, Helsinki School of Economics, Computer Center !  MM MM   Y Y

lindsay@gandalf.cs.cmu.edu (Donald Lindsay) (06/12/91)

In article <1991Jun9.214548.23661@syacus.acus.oz.au>
	william@syacus.acus.oz.au (William Mason) writes:
>	If RISC is *it*  ... How come the guy with shor legs
>	can't winn the olympic foot races ???

If long legs are *it*, how come you can't run faster than my dog?

--
Don		D.C.Lindsay 	Carnegie Mellon Robotics Institute

abaum (Allen Baum) (06/13/91)

(Donald Lindsay) writes:

>In article <1991Jun9.214548.23661@syacus.acus.oz.au>
>(William Mason) writes:
>>If RISC is *it*  ... How come the guy with short legs
>>can't winn the olympic foot races ???
>
>If long legs are *it*, how come you can't run faster than my dog?

Because dogs are superscalar, er, superpedal?

Allen J. Baum                        baum@apple.com

mshute@cs.man.ac.uk (Malcolm Shute) (06/14/91)

In article <13395@pt.cs.cmu.edu> lindsay@gandalf.cs.cmu.edu (Donald Lindsay) writes:
>In article <1991Jun9.214548.23661@syacus.acus.oz.au>
>	william@syacus.acus.oz.au (William Mason) writes:
>>	If RISC is *it*  ... How come the guy with shor legs
>>	can't winn the olympic foot races ???
>If long legs are *it*, how come you can't run faster than my dog?

Does this mean that we should be measuring 'Leg-Complexity', not 'Leg'.
--

Malcolm SHUTE.         (The AM Mollusc:   v_@_ )        Disclaimer: all

peter@ficc.ferranti.com (peter da silva) (06/15/91)

In article <1991Jun9.214548.23661@syacus.acus.oz.au>, william@syacus.acus.oz.au (William Mason) writes:
> 	If RISC is *it*  ... How come the guy with shor legs
> 	can't winn the olympic foot races ???

>  	-- M. Miller (curtsey H. Corte).

Maybe not, but he sure kicks butt in the sack race. And with compilers being
what they are, that's the race that counts.
--
Peter da Silva; Ferranti International Controls Corporation; +1 713 274 5180;
Sugar Land, TX  77487-5012;         `-_-' "Have you hugged your wolf, today?"

In article <195@armltd.uucp>, abaum (Allen Baum) writes:
> (Donald Lindsay) writes:
> >In article <1991Jun9.214548.23661@syacus.acus.oz.au>
> >(William Mason) writes:
> >>If RISC is *it*  ... How come the guy with short legs
> >>can't winn the olympic foot races ???

> >If long legs are *it*, how come you can't run faster than my dog?

> Because dogs are superscalar, er, superpedal?

OK, so how come a cheetah is faster than a horse? It's superpipelined!
And a kangaroo has fewer processors but uses a bigger cache...
--

jlg@cochiti.lanl.gov (Jim Giles) (06/15/91)

In article <BC-BR@xds13.ferranti.com>, peter@ficc.ferranti.com (peter da silva) writes:
|> [...]
|> OK, so how come a cheetah is faster than a horse? It's superpipelined!
|> And a kangaroo has fewer processors but uses a bigger cache...

The cheetah is a RISC architecture.  It contains nothing that isn't
needed to run fast or to kill.

The horse is also RISCish, but is optimized for longer distance running.

Nature contains very few CISC architectures.

The kangaroo was designed by committee (like the platypus and several
other species from down under.

J. Giles

sef@kithrup.COM (Sean Eric Fagan) (06/16/91)

In article <25734@lanl.gov> jlg@cochiti.lanl.gov (Jim Giles) writes:
>The cheetah is a RISC architecture.  It contains nothing that isn't
>needed to run fast or to kill.
>Nature contains very few CISC architectures.

By that definition, then, H. Sap. is a CISC.  Far more frontal lobes than we
would need merely to survive, organs we no longer need (appendix, for
example, and note that this causes lots of problems), teeth which, although
they seemed a good idea when designed, were implemented poorly and are thus
causing problems for future generations of the architecture (wisdom teeth,
anybody?).

Nature contains *lots* of "CISC architectures," in that there are lots of
things ("features") most organisms could live quite well without.  (Why do
male mammals have nipples?)

The most successful organisms on this planet are the "simple" ones:
insects.

sef@kithrup.COM  |  I had a bellyache at the time."

jiro@shaman.com (Jiro Nakamura) (06/17/91)

In article <1991Jun15.224614.10258@kithrup.COM> sef@kithrup.COM (Sean Eric
Fagan) writes:
> The most successful organisms on this planet are the "simple" ones:
> insects.

   Ahh yes, but the mammals have all their capabilities in EEPROM. Some
of the more advanced mammals (us???? maybe) have them in SRAM. I think
most insects are still using old fashioned ROM that has to be burnt
in at the design stage. No hopes of upgradability there. :-)
   On the other hand, having your source code in hardened ROM does allow
the insects to be very resistant against ultraviolet and other types
of radiation.  I don't think that the Designer is coming out with a
properly shielded mammal species yet (armadillo 2000?).

   - jiro nakamura
     jiro@shaman.com
--
Jiro Nakamura				jiro@shaman.com
Shaman Consulting			(607) 256-5125 VOICE

In article <1991Jun15.224614.10258@kithrup.COM>, sef@kithrup.COM (Sean Eric Fagan) writes:
> By that definition, then, H. Sap.  is a CISC.  Far more frontal lobes
than we > would need merely to survive, organs we no longer need
(appendix, for > example, and note that this causes lots of problems),

Beware of using out-of-date manuals, especially manuals not written by
the architect.  The appendix now functions as part of the immune system.
You can manage without, but you're better off if you have it, especially
if you are a child.

As for frontal lobes, I'm afraid the "low end" models just didn't make
it in the market.  It's a jungle out there...
--
Q:  What should I know about quicksort?   A:  That it is *slow*.
Q:  When should I use it?  A:  When you have only 256 words of main storage.

gdtltr@brahms.udel.edu (gdtltr@limbo.org (The Befuddled One)) (06/18/91)

   Has anyone else noticed that this thread is getting exceedingly silly?

                                        Gary Duzan
                                        Time  Lord
                                    Third Regeneration

--
                            gdtltr@brahms.udel.edu
   _o_                      ----------------------                        _o_

jpk@Ingres.COM (Jon Krueger) (06/18/91)

sef@kithrup.COM (Sean Eric Fagan) ponders:

> (Why do male mammals have nipples?)

So you can find your cigarettes when you're drunk -- Martin Mull

It's notable that the fundamental encoding scheme for the genetic code
is extremely simple: four instructions (ATCG).  All else is accomplished
in software.

-- Jon

mshute@cs.man.ac.uk (Malcolm Shute) (06/18/91)

In article <1991Jun17.043545.5268@shaman.com> jiro@shaman.com (Jiro Nakamura) writes:
>most insects are still using old fashioned ROM that has to be burnt
>in at the design stage. No hopes of upgradability there. :-)
But new upgrades *are* still coming on to the market... every few aeons.
Trillions are manufactured in each batch...  (disposable insects).
--

Malcolm SHUTE.         (The AM Mollusc:   v_@_ )        Disclaimer: all

als@bohra.cpg.oz.au (Anthony Shipman) (06/18/91)

In article <25734@lanl.gov>, jlg@cochiti.lanl.gov (Jim Giles) writes:
> The kangaroo was designed by committee (like the platypus and several
> other species from down under.

An expert committee I'll have you know.  Just check the efficiency of that
leg machinery.

--
Anthony Shipman                 "You've got to be taught before it's too late,
Computer Power Group             Before you are six or seven or eight,

peter@ficc.ferranti.com (peter da silva) (06/19/91)

In article <25734@lanl.gov>, jlg@cochiti.lanl.gov (Jim Giles) writes:
> The kangaroo was designed by committee (like the platypus and several
> other species from down under.

I disagree strongly. The kangaroo is a very efficient design, and uses far
less energy in motion than any other biped and most quadrupeds. On each
bounce, kinetic energy is converted to mechanical energy in the muscles
of the kangaroo's legs, and then back to kinetic energy with a little extra
chemical energy to make up for losses.

I know that a human on a bicycle is more efficient. I don't know of anything
else that does as good a job, but I don't recall the article offhand. I think
it was in an old Scientific American...

Now the Kangaroo's reproductive system is a bit of a kludge, but that's not
what's being discussed here. An analogy would be (as I implied) a small RISC
processor with a large cache...
--

In article <4V=BO6D@xds13.ferranti.com>, peter@ficc.ferranti.com (peter da silva) writes:
> I disagree strongly. The kangaroo is a very efficient design, and uses far
> less energy in motion than any other biped and most quadrupeds.

> Now the Kangaroo's reproductive system is a bit of a kludge, but that's not
> what's being discussed here.

The kangaroo's reproductive system is also very efficient.
In fact, it is a three-stage pipeline,
the first stage of which can be stalled.

--

In article <6390@goanna.cs.rmit.oz.au>, ok@goanna.cs.rmit.oz.au (Richard A. O'Keefe) writes:
> The kangaroo's reproductive system is also very efficient.
> In fact, it is a three-stage pipeline,
> the first stage of which can be stalled.

Well, it might be pipelined but that third stage takes a long time, plus
uses external cache. It's only really efficient if you need to discard
intermediate results frequently, and that increases the number of iterations
you have to use to get the same product.