[comp.arch] Interval Tools

kirchner@informatik.uni-kl.de (Reinhard Kirchner) (06/20/91)

From article <1991Jun19.165150.2121@shinobu.sgi.com>, by rodman@sgi.com (Paul K. Rodman):
> In article <9106190449.AA02871@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> jbs@WATSON.IBM.COM writes:
>>         Robert Herdon asked:
>>While I've seen lots of verbage on the pros and cons of interval..
>
> I've heard yapping about interval arithmetic for a decade and have yet
> to see anyone that actually _used_ it. Has anyone implemented a
> compiler with set of "interval" data types? Has anyone used interval
> arithmetic by doing it themselves with macros/functions/subroutines.

I hate to repeat myself, but it seems to be neccessary.

Compilers with interval arithmetic and data types:

back in the 60s: Triplex Algol

later: Pascal-SC on Z80 ( first research toy )
		    IBM-PC  ( converted z80 version, for small things )
                    ATARI-ST and followers ( still very nice )

now:   Pascal-XSC   as C precompiler for all kinds of machines,
                    for Microsoft C in Public Domain ( look at simtel20 )
                    can do BIG things with gnu-cc

The FORTRAN family:

ACRITH		a set of subroutines for the /370 ( now 20 more .. )

FORTRAN-XSC	a precompiler for easy use of ACRITH

The C family:

A module for c++, because the language contains already all hooks

All these things where developed at Karlsruhe University, Institute of
Applied Mathematics, Prof. Kulisch.

The Institute develops also lots of algorithms for many purposes. In the
language packages are many standard algorithms included.

If some wants to know more:

send mail to Michael Neaga  ae18@dkauni2.bitnet

I did work on these things years ago and still do some consulting.

Reinhard Kirchner
Univ. Kaiserslautern, Germany
kirchner@uklirb.informatik.uni-kl.de