[sci.bio] Vitamin C and iron

jsf@rlgvax.UUCP (04/10/87)

I've been reading in various sports/fitness magazines that it is important
to have a source of vitamin C with every meal, because vitamin C helps
your body absorb the iron in your meal.  Can some one explain how this
works?  It's seems to me that the vitamin C already in your body would
have a greater effect then that in the meal.  Is this just a way
of assuring that you have enough vitamin C in general, and that is what
helps with the iron?

Thanks.

--
Steve Fritzinger
CCI-OSD  Reston, Va.  seismo!rlgvax!jsf

howard@cpocd2.UUCP (04/16/87)

In article <409@rlgvax.UUCP> jsf@rlgvax.UUCP (Steve Fritzinger) writes:
>I've been reading in various sports/fitness magazines that it is important
>to have a source of vitamin C with every meal, because vitamin C helps
>your body absorb the iron in your meal.  Can some one explain how this
>works?

In food, iron atoms typically occur in either the +2 (ferrous) or
+3 (ferric) oxidation state.  The ferrous form is easier to absorb.
Vitamin C is a reducing agent, and can reduce ferric iron to ferrous
iron (while itself getting oxidized).  Thus vitamin C *IN* or *WITH*
the food helps iron absorption, while ferric iron can destroy vitamin C.

>It's seems to me that the vitamin C already in your body would
>have a greater effect then that in the meal.

No.  The C in your body can't react with the iron until after it has been
absorbed, which is (obviously!) too late to help with absorption.

>Is this just a way of assuring that you have enough vitamin C in general,

Not "just", but it will help that.

>and that is what helps with the iron?

No.
--
Copyright (c) 1987 by Howard A. Landman.  You may copy this material for
any non-commercial purpose, or transmit this material to others and charge