[sci.bio] Divergent promoters in prokaryotes -- seeking advice

diaz@aecom.UUCP (06/14/87)

I am currently involved in the study of an E. coli gene whose
promoter region is very close to, and may in fact overlap with the
promoter of a second gene. The two genes are transcribed in opposite
directions. We are interested in ascertaining whether transcription of
one gene has an effect on transcription of the other. One idea is to
measure the level of message for one of the genes while the second is
repressed, and again while it is derepressed.

I was wondering if anyone knows of any other examples of well
characterized prokaryotic divergent promoters, so that I can pick up
some clues from the work of others. Any ideas Craig? I've been told that
there is an example of promoter divergence in the Arg biosynthesis loci,
and recently at the ASBC meeting in Philly, I saw a poster on a tRNA
gene whose promoter was close to a divergently transcribed tRNA
synthetase gene.

--
5'gtacggagc dn/dx = Dan Diaz    (philabs!aecom!diaz)
            Department of Molecular Biology & Snake Oil Dynamics

werner@aecom.UUCP (06/15/87)

(Dizzy Dan Diaz) writes:

> I am currently involved in the study of an E. coli gene whose
> promoter region is very close to, and may in fact overlap with the
> promoter of a second gene. The two genes are transcribed in opposite
> directions.
>
> I was wondering if anyone knows of any other examples of well
> characterized prokaryotic divergent promoters, so that I can pick up
> some clues from the work of others. Any ideas Craig?
	                                         ^- I can't resist
a direct invitation to post!

	The best study of divergent promoters in E. coli, down to
the molecular details is the arabinose operon, where araC, the
Positive regulator/Repressor goes one way, and araBAD goes the other.

	And let's not forget P(R) and P(RM), for Promoter(Right)
and Promoter(Repressor Maintenance) of the bacteriophage lambda,
where cI and cro differential binding on OR1, OR2, and OR3,
are responsible for the lytic/lysogenic switch.  This has the
advantage that Mark Ptashne just wrote a book about it, and
it's out in paperback.  It's well written, and everybody should
buy it because Ptashne still has some payments left on his
Stradavarius.

--
			      Craig Werner (MD/PhD '91)
				!philabs!aecom!werner

bchso@uhnix2.UUCP (Dan Davison) (06/20/87)

In article <1136@aecom.YU.EDU> diaz@aecom.YU.EDU (Dizzy Dan) writes:
>I was wondering if anyone knows of any other examples of well
>characterized prokaryotic divergent promoters, so that I can pick up
>some clues from the work of others.

The classic work in the Salmonella arabinose operon might be worth
looking at.  I wish I could supply references, but I'm packing to move and
all the boxes of references look the same.  If my memory serves (and it
might not) it was in the Journal of Bacteriology in the late 1960s-early
1970s.

dr. dan davison Theoretical Biology Los Alamos National Lab T-10 MS K-710
Los Alamos, NM 87454                   ...rice!academ!uhnix1!uhnix2!bchso
"of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most"FOX.DAVISON@BIONET-20.ARPA