[sci.bio] have IQ, will travel

weiss@umnstat.UUCP (Robert Weiss) (06/22/87)

-> From: the unknown flamer

->Perhaps you should stop to consider that the "data" you are basing your
->intelligence postings on is based on Cyril Burt's fraud.

- From: eric@snark.UUCP (Eric S. Raymond)

-I am well aware of Burt's fraud. You are making a completely unwarranted
-assumption here. More recent studies (cited in _The_Mismeasure_Of_Man_)
-have turned up the sorts of correlations I describe. Gould's attempt at
-refutation *doesn't* challenge the recent data; it depends on a philosophical
-criticism of factor analysis.

-> From: the unknown flamer

->  I also doubt that anyone
->has a satisfactory definition of "intelligence" yet, let alone a method
->for testing it-

- From: eric@snark.UUCP (Eric S. Raymond)

-You should learn to pay more attention to what you read. I specified that
-the 'intelligence' I was describing was a statistical composite of the
-results of standardized acuity tests. Yes, I skipped over the details.

There are too many comments to make on these four interesting
paragraphs.  Here are some thoughts on this.

Re: Factor analysis.  Gould's attempt includes criticism of the leap
of faith required to connect the statistical analysis with the
theoretical model of IQ.  Does anybody out there in netland know what
the actual model is that Factor Analysis postulates?  I'll bet that most
do not.  If requested, I'll _try_ to post it.

There is a study being done at U of Minnesota Dept. of Psychology
with twin data from Scandanavia.  The authors ,(Auke Tellegen possibly?), I
think, conclude that IQ is "heritable".  No references for this since my
source is my memory of a U of Minn Daily newspaper article.  Minnesota
is supposed to be a hot-bed of heriditarianism.  On the other hand,
there are plenty of people that are willing to reinterpret their data
from a non-heriditarian point of view.

I would like to see some more references for this discussion.  For
example, an entertaining, readable and good article on the Nature-Nurture
controversy is:

Kempthorne, Oscar (1978).  Logical, Epistemological, and Statistical
Aspects of Nature-Nurture Data Interpretation.  Biometrics 34, 1-23.

Kempthorne makes short shrift of BOTH sides of the controversy currently
going on in sci.bio!  Quotes:

We can then, surely, construct a battery of test.  We can apply these
tests to a group of individuals, e.q., of age 8, and we can construct
from the battery an index of ability, which is standardized to give
results which are like a random sample from a normal distribution with
mean 100 and standard deviation 15.  What name we give to this
standardized score is essentially arbitrary.

It is clear, I [Kempthorne] suggest, that the mental testing discipline
overstepped reasonable bounds in labelling results of the tests it
developed as intelligence scores.  ... a huge array of mental abilities
which humanity needs and values and puts under the general rubric of
"intelligence" which do not appear in the batteries that the
"intelligence-testers" use.

The reification of the IQ score that has taken place is unfortunate ...

[reification is a word that Gould used, too, I [Weiss] believe]

But there is another side of the coin which Jensen and others state.
The measurement of various aspects of mental ability is critical for a
human society.

The anti-hereditarians, I [Kempthorne] suggest, destroy their case by
taking illogical steps as well as ignoring "facts" they know well.

END-OF-QUOTES

Can anybody pass along some useful (literature) references for the
study of IQ, what it supposedly means, and how to measure it?  I'd
especially like theoretical papers since I was thinking about trying to
construct a simple world where some measurement 'G' behaves the way
psychometricians want IQ to behave, and then figuring out how the simple
world could be (or couldn't be) translated to our complex real world.

	Thanks,

	Robert Weiss
	umnstat!weiss@umn-cs.ARPA
	ihnp4!umn-cs!umnstat!weiss

hes@ecsvax.UUCP (Henry Schaffer) (06/22/87)

In article <338@umnstat.UUCP>, weiss@umnstat.UUCP (Robert Weiss) writes:
... much deleted

> There is a study being done at U of Minnesota Dept. of Psychology
> with twin data from Scandanavia.  The authors ,(Auke Tellegen possibly?), I
> think, conclude that IQ is "heritable".  No references for this since my
> source is my memory of a U of Minn Daily newspaper article.  Minnesota
> is supposed to be a hot-bed of heriditarianism.  On the other hand,
> there are plenty of people that are willing to reinterpret their data
> from a non-heriditarian point of view.
... much more deleted
   Heritability can take on values 0-1 inclusive (or the equivalent in
percentages.)  A value as low as 0.01 is very hard to measure and
distinguish from 0, even in experimental organisms in well controlled
environmental conditions.  In humans - forget about it!  To say
a trait is not heritable is to claim that the heritability value is 0.
(Make sure you understand what I'm saying the the previous sentence -
I`m not talking about "an important hereditary component, or ...".)
Therefore a claim that something is not heritable is seldom believable
(because it is very hard to prove that something is exactly 0 and not
.01 or .001, ...) and being told that something "is heritable" is
essentially meaningless without the value, or at least a qualifier of
some sort, e.g., "highly", "moderately", or whatever.

  I generally get both the hereditarians and the non-hereditarians
angry at me.  As a scientist, this suits me fine.  As a scientist and
a person I am very unhappy with the twisting of science to serve
social and philosophical goals (and especially when those goals are
ones which I think are evil.)  (This could be the start of a very long
discussion on whether one should refuse to work in the area of
heritability because the results {could | might} be misused - but
this is long enough already.)

> Can anybody pass along some useful (literature) references for the
> study of IQ, what it supposedly means, and how to measure it?  I'd
> especially like theoretical papers since I was thinking about trying to
> construct a simple world where some measurement 'G' behaves the way
> psychometricians want IQ to behave, and then figuring out how the simple
> world could be (or couldn't be) translated to our complex real world.
>
> 	Thanks,
>
> 	Robert Weiss
> 	umnstat!weiss@umn-cs.ARPA
> 	ihnp4!umn-cs!umnstat!weiss

  The literature I know is in genetics, rather than in psychology
- but what you are asking for is not elementary.  A good
intro book is Quantitative Genetics by D. S. Falconer, 2nd ed, but to
read it one needs a decent statistics background - especially including
topics (usually called "experimental statistics") such as variance
components, and the linear model.  This just covers the way to measure
the heritability of traits - and not the pyschology of IQ, ...

--henry schaffer  n c state univ