[sci.bio] Stupidity about intelligence

eric@snark.UUCP (06/17/87)

netter I shall spare embarrassment by leaving unnamed sent me a flame by
e-mail. It unintentionally illustrates the exact points I moved this
to talk.politics to see explored. I will quote it in its entirety here.

>Perhaps you should stop to consider that the "data" you are basing your
>intelligence postings on is based on Cyril Burt's fraud.

I am well aware of Burt's fraud. You are making a completely unwarranted
assumption here. More recent studies (cited in _The_Mismeasure_Of_Man_)
have turned up the sorts of correlations I describe. Gould's attempt at
refutation *doesn't* challenge the recent data; it depends on a philosophical
criticism of factor analysis.

[don't go away yet, this will get interesting in 4 paragraphs or so]

>  I also doubt that anyone
>has a satisfactory definition of "intelligence" yet, let alone a method
>for testing it--your postings have cleverly ignored most of the controversy
>in this area as well.

You should learn to pay more attention to what you read. I specified that
the 'intelligence' I was describing was a statistical composite of the
results of standardized acuity tests. Yes, I skipped over the details.
This was not because of any reluctance to admit or debate the issues
involved, just because it's been a while since I read anything in the area.

>I suppose intellectual honesty is too much to expect from a USENET
>poster--but it would make an entertaining change.

I suppose a careful reading and reasoned reactions are much to expect from a
USENET reader--but it would make an entertaining change.

[here's where it gets interesting]

Really now. That was gratuitous of you. It looks as though you saw
'intelligence' and 'heritability' in the same paragraph and charged like
a bull at a red flag. Read my lips: I am not a neo-Nazi, nor an apologist for
Cyril Burt and his sorry elitist ilk. I *am* a fascinated collector of Damned
Things -- facts that the sciences (for which I have enormous respect)
cannot acknowledge for political or social reasons. Biology is full of them.

Here's another one (yes, this is a test of your mental flexibility). Do
you know that matings between Kalahari Bushmen and non-Bushmen are
generally infertile? And that the Bushmen have significant, grossly detectable
morphological differences from homo-sap-elsewhere including a region in
the gluteal muscles adapted like a camel's hump for storing water?

Can you say 'different species'?

There. I'll bet you're reacting to that as though I'd written 'inferior
species'. Sigh. That's why that fact is a Damned Thing. Some people never
learn...
--
      Eric S. Raymond
      UUCP:  {{seismo,ihnp4,rutgers}!cbmvax,sdcrdcf!burdvax}!snark!eric

alin@sunybcs.UUCP (Alin Sangeap) (06/21/87)

In article <126@snark.UUCP> eric@snark.UUCP (Eric S. Raymond) writes:
.					I *am* a fascinated collector of Damned
.Things -- facts that the sciences (for which I have enormous respect)
.cannot acknowledge for political or social reasons. Biology is full of them.
.
When you present such a collection, you have to know a whole lot to defend it.
I have great respect for those who collect, and present, and can defend.

.Here's another one (). Do you know that matings between Kalahari
.Bushmen and non-Bushmen are generally infertile?
.
Most matings between humans are infertile.  It's because human females
don't go into heat, so when they mate they're mostly just fooling.

Also, Kalahari is a desert; the Bushmen probably can't afford to increase
their population without starving.  They must have developed some methods
to reduce their fertility, else they would have died out.  Your source,
did it test fertility for Bush-persons away from possible social and
chemical means to reduce fertility?  Or was it just casual experimentation
--
            Alin Sangeap              SUNY Buffalo Computer Science
CSNET:      alin@Buffalo.CSNET        BITNET:     alin@sunybcs.Bitnet

cramer@kontron.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) (06/22/87)

> In article <126@snark.UUCP> eric@snark.UUCP (Eric S. Raymond) writes:
> .					I *am* a fascinated collector of Damned
> .Things -- facts that the sciences (for which I have enormous respect)
> .cannot acknowledge for political or social reasons. Biology is full of them.
> .
> When you present such a collection, you have to know a whole lot to defend it.
> I have great respect for those who collect, and present, and can defend.
>
> .Here's another one (). Do you know that matings between Kalahari
> .Bushmen and non-Bushmen are generally infertile?
> .
> Most matings between humans are infertile.  It's because human females
> don't go into heat, so when they mate they're mostly just fooling.

Everyone knows that; I doubt that's what the original poster meant.

I was so surprised by this claim, however, that I went home and dug
through the Encyclopedia Britannica to see if there was any mention of
this infertility.  I found nothing.  I did find something really
amazing.

The Bushmen and Hottentots are closely related -- together they form
the Capoid race.  A study of Hottentots (Bushmen not yet studied) found
24% had more, and 23% had fewer, than 46 chromosomes.  That's a total
of 47% have a non-standard number of chromosomes.  Can anyone see why
there might be a fertility problem?

>             Alin Sangeap              SUNY Buffalo Computer Science
> CSNET:      alin@Buffalo.CSNET        BITNET:     alin@sunybcs.Bitnet
> UUCP:       {bbncca,decvax,dual,rocksvax,watmath,sbcs}!sunybcs!alin
> NSA:        please decode all secret cryptography ciphers; best of wishes, A.

My first reaction to the claim above about Damned Facts was, "Come on.
This sounds like a conspiracy."  But after reading the Britannica
article, I'm a little amazed that the presentation of biology, genetics,
and chromosomal abnormalities in high school biology doesn't mention
a little "detail" like the Hottentot peculiarity.

We learned that humans have 46 chromosomes.  We learned about chromosomal
abnormalities like Down's Syndrome, and Klinefelter's males.  But we
didn't learn about a population where HALF of the study group were not
46 chromosomes.

I'm beginning to wonder how much high school science classes are tailored
for political reasons.

Clayton E. Cramer

yarak@bnrmtv.UUCP (Dennis Yarak) (06/23/87)

In article <1651@kontron.UUCP>, cramer@kontron.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) writes:

* We learned that humans have 46 chromosomes.  We learned about chromosomal
* abnormalities like Down's Syndrome, and Klinefelter's males.  But we
* didn't learn about a population where HALF of the study group were not
* 46 chromosomes.

* I'm beginning to wonder how much high school science classes are tailored
* for political reasons.

* Clayton E. Cramer

While the last statement tantalizingly lets the individual imagination
run wild, and while I would be the last to dispute that high school texts
have been subject to severe content emasculation (mostly by the Texas
School Textbook Commission, or whatever its formal name is), I wonder
if Mr. Cramer might detail what "political reasons" he attributes to
this presumed deliberate witholding of information from him?

Dennis Yarak
{amdahl, hplabs}!bnrmtv!yarak

cramer@kontron.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) (06/25/87)

> In article <1651@kontron.UUCP>, cramer@kontron.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) writes:
>
> * We learned that humans have 46 chromosomes.  We learned about chromosomal
> * abnormalities like Down's Syndrome, and Klinefelter's males.  But we
> * didn't learn about a population where HALF of the study group were not
> * 46 chromosomes.
>
> * I'm beginning to wonder how much high school science classes are tailored
> * for political reasons.
>
> * Clayton E. Cramer
>
> While the last statement tantalizingly lets the individual imagination
> run wild, and while I would be the last to dispute that high school texts
> have been subject to severe content emasculation (mostly by the Texas
> School Textbook Commission, or whatever its formal name is), I wonder
> if Mr. Cramer might detail what "political reasons" he attributes to
> this presumed deliberate witholding of information from him?
>
> Dennis Yarak

Racial difference doesn't mean racial inferiority -- but because studies
of racial difference have frequently been used by various jerks promoting
such attitudes, it seems as though the legitimate scientific study of
human populations has been marked "unclean" by the left.

If you want to argue that the population isn't smart enough to be taught
things the way they are without drawing the wrong conclusions, fine.
But don't tell me the population is then smart enough to have unlimited
governing authority.

And worst of all, pretending that racial difference doesn't exist
suggests that who are doing the pretending have at some level accepted
the idea of "racial difference == racial inferiority".

Clayton E. Cramer

eric@snark.UUCP (Eric S. Raymond) (06/27/87)

In article <3728@sunybcs.UUCP>, alin@sunybcs.UUCP (Alin Sangeap) writes:
> Most matings between humans are infertile.  It's because human females
> don't go into heat, so when they mate they're mostly just fooling.

Some sort of sexist remark seems almost required here, but since I'm
not a sexist (and wouldn't care to arouse the ire of the net's ferocious
feminists if I were) I'll let that perfect straight line slide right by...

> Also, Kalahari is a desert; the Bushmen probably can't afford to increase
> their population without starving.  They must have developed some methods
> to reduce their fertility, else they would have died out.  Your source,
> did it test fertility for Bush-persons away from possible social and
> chemical means to reduce fertility?

Several people have asked me for an exact reference on this. I am very sorry
I can't supply one. I recall reading the information; I even have exact visual
memories of a cross-section diagram of a Bushman's head pointing out the lower
density of cortical folding. The whole business startled and amazed me.

I believe it was one of my college anthro textbooks. It's not the
facts themselves that have been tabooed, just the clear implication that
there is more than one species of genus homo on earth.

The implication of my source was that the infertility was extraordinarily
high and due to biological incompatibilities, so much so as to make hybrids
unheard of or nearly so. This in itself doesn't establish speciation (there's
a classic example of similar stuff going on between populations at opposite
ends of the circumpolar range of a species of seagull) but together with the
morphological differences it makes the case pretty strong.

Of course, some biologists would take the easy way out: "So what's a 'species',
anyhow?". They have a point -- life is a continuum. But if we're going to
describe (say) wolves and dogs as different 'species' based on peoples'
more-or-less intuitive notion of mutually-infertile-populations-with-
gross-morphological-differences, it's time to write homo kalaharensis into
the taxonomies.

Personally, I'd like to see that shouted from the housetops -- it's time
for us as a species for us to deal with the idea that the self-awareness,
abstraction-handling and tool-using skills we're so proud of, and the
vaguer qualities we call 'humanity', aren't restricted to beings with
the DNA of a homo sap.

Whales, dolphins, chimpanzees, gorillas and even some species of
octopi and squid have demonstrated the ability to think, plan and handle
abstractions in a rather humanlike way. Whales and dolphins have native
languages of their own; chimps and gorillas can be taught language and
use it creatively, and there's some reason to believe that the cephalopods
do language-like things with chromatophore excitation patterns (though
no one has caught them communicating abstractions yet). Chimps and gorillas
make and use tools.

One of the spookier data I have on this is that one gorilla who'd been taught
language (Ameslan, I think), a female named Koko, expressed a primitive but
unmistakable notion of afterlife when discussing the recent death of her pet
kitten (I do have a source for this, but it was a 'new-age' magazine; you
may not care to trust it).

phs@lifia.UUCP (Philippe Schnoebelen) (06/28/87)

In article <126@snark.UUCP> eric@snark.UUCP (Eric S. Raymond) writes:
>netter I shall spare embarrassment by leaving unnamed sent me a flame by
>e-mail. It unintentionally illustrates the exact points I moved this
>to talk.politics to see explored. I will quote it in its entirety here.

As an aside, I must say that moving this to talk.politics is the surest way
to replace scientific  discussion by plain   chaotic shouting. This  is  in
contradiction with what you say about looking for rational thinking

>I am well aware of Burt's fraud. You are making a completely unwarranted
>assumption here. More recent studies (cited in _The_Mismeasure_Of_Man_)
>have turned up the sorts of correlations I describe. Gould's attempt at
>refutation *doesn't* challenge the recent data; it depends on a philosophical
>criticism of factor analysis.

[ Gould described how, during  the last two  centuries, all the "scientific
theories" proving the inferiority of some races or social groups  have  all
been  built on  top  of  false  reasonnings and  erroneous  methodology. Of
course, making a mistake when proving something does not mean that you were
trying to  prove something false,  it just  mean that  you    do not  prove
anything, thus Gould does not try to tell  what is true and  what is false,
he just shows what is  not proven, and it turns   out that very little  has
been convincingly proven (I use "convincingly"  because the notion  of what
is a proof is subjective, but let's not enter this debate). ]

Now  I think you  are wrong  when saying  that  Gould made "a philosophical
criticism of factor  analysis".   It is the word  "philosophical" which  is
wrong (and if you do not use it the way I understand  it,  then you will be
misunderstood by almost all readers.)  This word seems to  imply that Gould
does not believe  what is "proved"  by factor analysis,  and that this is a
"philosophical   question" because  one  cannot force   somebody into being
convinced  when he does   not want to see the   truth.  This is  misleading
because it let you think that one can as well regard factor analysis  as  a
convincing  argument, that some  people may believe  in it while some (e.g.
Gould) do not, and that there is no  way to convince  either  side.  On the
contrary, and this is clear in Gould's presentation, factor analysis cannot
prove anything, and it is a mistake to  believe  that it can. No scientific
person  can  possibly believe   that FACTOR ANALYSIS  BY ITSELF  can  prove
anything, and this has nothing to do with philosophy.

>>  I also doubt that anyone
>>has a satisfactory definition of "intelligence" yet, let alone a method
>>for testing it--your postings have cleverly ignored most of the controversy
>>in this area as well.
>
>You should learn to pay more attention to what you read. I specified that
>the 'intelligence' I was describing was a statistical composite of the
>results of standardized acuity tests. Yes, I skipped over the details.
>This was not because of any reluctance to admit or debate the issues
>involved, just because it's been a while since I read anything in the area.

Thus you clearly  say  that your definition  of intelligence is   merely  a
"statistical composite of results of tests".  Now you should be aware  that
this definition has NOTHING  TO DO with  the common  understanding   of the
word, that any  result about   "your"  intelligence  has  (up to  now)   no
established connection with  the "usual informal  notion of  intelligence".
Nevertheless, whatever  you  will further  about  "your" intelligence  will
inevitably be mistaken a referring to "usual" intelligence. This comes from
your using a well known word with a new,  different meaning.   You must  be
aware of this and you are not allowed to blame people taking the word it in
its usual sense (and thus your referring to "learning to pay more attention
.."  is rather arrogant). If you did not realize this, then it is  too bad,
while if you made this on purpose, it is  dishonnest and not scientific  at
all.  In that sense, entitling your article "Stupidity  about Intelligence"
is  unfair because  even though  you do  not  explicitly mention whose side
should   be considered   stupid, everybody will   consider   that  you were
referring to your opponent.

>>I suppose intellectual honesty is too much to expect from a USENET
>>poster--but it would make an entertaining change.
>
>I suppose a careful reading and reasoned reactions are much to expect from a
>USENET reader--but it would make an entertaining change.

I agree with your opponent. You think  that  he has misunderstood you,  but
this  was inevitable given the  words  you use.  His  reaction is  reasoned
because your posting  must be considered  at  best dangerously unclear,  at
worst dishonnest.

>                 Read my lips: I am not a neo-Nazi, nor an apologist for
>Cyril Burt and his sorry elitist ilk. I *am* a fascinated collector of Damned
>Things -- facts that the sciences (for which I have enormous respect)
>cannot acknowledge for political or social reasons. Biology is full of them.

In that case, you should ask  yourself why (almost) everybody misunderstand
you.  The problem  is  with the way you  say things. Don't  ask  people  to
abstract from it, you know that it is  impossible. Just saying  "I am not a
neo-Nazi ..." cannot be sufficient.

>Can you say 'different species'?
>
>There. I'll bet you're reacting to that as though I'd written 'inferior
>species'. Sigh. That's why that fact is a Damned Thing. Some people never
>learn...

Clearly you are conscious about the fact that it  is dangerous to  say what
you say, ... and though you say it. Maybe you think this is heroic ? I just
think it is immature.
--
Philippe SCHNOEBELEN,
LIFIA - INPG,                                         UUCP : phs@lifia.imag.fr

"Algebraic symbols are used when you do not know what you are talking about."

eric@snark.UUCP (Eric S. Raymond) (07/02/87)

In article <2386@lifia.UUCP>, phs@lifia.UUCP (Philippe Schnoebelen) writes:
> In article <126@snark.UUCP> eric@snark.UUCP (Eric S. Raymond) writes:

> As an aside, I must say that moving this to talk.politics is the surest way
> to replace scientific  discussion by plain   chaotic shouting. This  is  in
> contradiction with what you say about looking for rational thinking

Perhaps -- but *you* are the first person that has responded with anything
resembling chaotic shouting.

> [ Gould described how, during  the last two  centuries, all the "scientific
> theories" proving the inferiority of some races or social groups  have  all
> been  built on  top  of  false  reasonnings and  erroneous  methodology. Of

You are confusing a number of issues here. I made it very clear in my first
posting that I am interested in the theory and practice of psychometry. I have
no sympathy for attempts to prove the inferiority of races and social groups.
I find the reactions of people who can't seem to separate the two issues
amusing -- they seem to reveal a fear that the development of accurate
psychometry might somehow make racism respectable. That sounds like prejudice
to me...

> [Gould] just shows what is not proven, and it turns out that very little has
> been convincingly proven (I use "convincingly"  because the notion  of what
> is a proof is subjective, but let's not enter this debate). ]

But this is precisely the debate you've invited by replying to me. What
pychometric method *would* constitute such a 'proof'?

> [much expostulation on what he thinks I meant by "philosophical criticism"]
>                                                               No scientific
> person  can  possibly believe   that FACTOR ANALYSIS  BY ITSELF  can  prove
> anything, and this has nothing to do with philosophy.

I don't believe that factor analysis by itself proves anything either. But when
the *results* of factor analysis can be used predictively then it's hard to
argue that the results are meaningless. And this *is* a philosophical
observation -- looking for the meaning of evidence in correlations between
not-obviously-related data is straight empiricism, while Gould's position
that the correlations don't mean anything unless you have some formal a priori
reason to believe them has the effect of a return to Platonism and the notion
that experimental data are some kind of dispensible approximation to a world
of ideal forms addressible by purely theoretical ratiocination.

> Thus you clearly  say  that your definition  of intelligence is   merely  a
> "statistical composite of results of tests".  Now you should be aware  that
> this definition has NOTHING  TO DO with  the common  understanding   of the
> word,

Ah, I recognize this technique. This is called "trying to prove your point by
introducing it as an assumption". Tell me -- when did you last hear of a
drooling idiot scoring 150 on the Sanford-Binet scale? It is certainly true
that many of the things we informally lump under 'intelligence' aren't
currently measurable. It is equally true that many of the characteristics
we associate with 'intelligence' are quite easy to measure -- vocabulary
size, spatial visualization capability and the ability to solve logical
puzzles make three excellent examples out of many. The distribution of these
aspects of 'intelligence' and their correlations with each other are quite
well predicted by the the 'g' factor and hereditarian hypotheses. Are you
going to argue that these aren't 'real' intelligence?

> [various strident accusations of flim-flam and intellectual dishonesty]

> I agree with your opponent. You think  that  he has misunderstood you,  but
> this  was inevitable given the  words  you use.  His  reaction is  reasoned
> because your posting  must be considered  at  best dangerously unclear,  at
> worst dishonnest.

This is the funniest thing you've said yet, because the 'unknown flamer'
wrote me an apologetic note after seeing my reply, admitting that he'd gone
off half-cocked and should have examined my posting more carefully.

> >Can you say 'different species'?
> >
> >There. I'll bet you're reacting to that as though I'd written 'inferior
> >species'. Sigh. That's why that fact is a Damned Thing. Some people never
> >learn...
>
> Clearly you are conscious about the fact that it  is dangerous to  say what
> you say, ... and though you say it. Maybe you think this is heroic ? I just
> think it is immature.

I think you, sir, are a self-righteous twit. There, do we feel better now?

<***FLAME ON***>
I write about 'Damned Things' because I *care* about knowledge and life and
infinite possibility. I believe that clear thinking is powerful and liberating
even (especially!) when the results don't fit current intellectual fashion
and political correctness. If this makes me 'immature' than you can take
your 'maturity' and insert it in a random body orifice till it rots.
<***FLAME OFF**>

If you can come up with an attack on psychometry that a) doesn't rely on
gratuitous insult and b) addresses the issue rather than trailing off into
irrelevancies about racism etc. etc., I will be very happy to listen.