[sci.bio] Non-carbon based life

frisk@askja.UUCP (Fridrik Skulason) (07/30/87)

As everybody knows, all life - as we know it - is carbon based. Now, what
I would like to ask is:

     Is non-carbon based life possible?

In other words - is it possible that life could evolve on a planet where no
carbon existed ?

Silicon-based creatures appear in quite a few SF stories, but is it really
possible to obtain the necessary complexity without carbon ?

I am not sure if this question can be answered at all, or if one first has
to answer the following question:

     What is life?

which - maybe - is a philosophical question rather than a biological one.

--
Fridrik Skulason  Univ. of Iceland, Computing Center
       UUCP  ...mcvax!hafro!askja!frisk                BIX  frisk

                     "This line intentionally left blank"

chiaraviglio@husc4.HARVARD.EDU (lucius) (08/03/87)

In article <265@askja.UUCP> frisk@askja.UUCP (Fridrik Skulason) writes:
>As everybody knows, all life - as we know it - is carbon based. Now, what
>I would like to ask is:
>
>     Is non-carbon based life possible?
>
>In other words - is it possible that life could evolve on a planet where no
>carbon existed ?

	Actually, the first question is the more general one.

	A. G. Cairn-Smith's intellectual exercise (in the book listed in the
summary field of this article) suggests very strongly that the answer is yes.
He postulates that life on Earth actually began as inorganic crystalline life
which evolved to use organic molecules.  Gradually the organic molecules began
to store information, and eventually the original crystal structure became
superfluous and was discarded.  His argument is that such thing as
self-replicating RNA molecules are too complicated *and* require too much
energy to make (so that they are too unstable) for them to be formed without
pre-existing life, whereas this limitation does not apply to self-replicating
crystals.  Crystals are capable of preserving and replicating information
under the appropiate conditions (which are not as stringent, and closer to the
conditions thought to exist on the primordial Earth), and can catalyze
reactions; both features are needed for chemical life.

>Silicon-based creatures appear in quite a few SF stories, but is it really
>possible to obtain the necessary complexity without carbon ?

	Most people talking of silicon life (including in SF) make the mistake
of simply substituting silicon for carbon.  This doesn't work very well,
because polysilanes are much less stable than hydrocarbons, and therefore
silicon analogs of many carbon compounds could not exist or would be too
unstable to use as structural compounds of life.  However, life based on
polysilicates (an entirely different kind of molecule) might be possible. . .
This is the kind of material (actually things like silicoaluminates and other
such minerals) that A. G. Cairns-Smith suggests might have made up the first
life.

>I am not sure if this question can be answered at all, or if one first has
>to answer the following question:
>
>     What is life?

	I would answer this, but the fact that I can post this message even is
probably a fluke, and I had better finish up before this bad ARPAnet
connection flakes out and loses all of it.  Maybe in a later message.

	-- Lucius Chiaraviglio
	   lucius%tardis@harvard.harvard.edu
	   seismo!tardis.harvard.edu!lucius

glg@sfsup.UUCP (G.Gleason) (08/05/87)

In article <265@askja.UUCP> frisk@askja.UUCP (Fridrik Skulason) writes:
>As everybody knows, all life - as we know it - is carbon based. Now, what
>I would like to ask is:

>     Is non-carbon based life possible?

Is carbon based life possible?  If we did not have our own earth as an
example, this would be just a speculative.  When you really think about
it, life is composed of networks of inter-connected processes that
somehow manage to keep reproducing themselves.  Probably the hardest
thing to explain about life is how it got started in the first place.
Present life forms are probably too complex to have come into being in
one step.  Some explainations rely on simpler precursor that are
replaced at a later stage of evolution, and others speculate that it
did not start here, but that inter-stelar microbes of viruses seeded
life on out planet.

>I am not sure if this question can be answered at all, or if one first has
>to answer the following question:

>     What is life?

>which - maybe - is a philosophical question rather than a biological one.

It probably is, but of course to some people it is a matter of definition,
rather than a question to answer.

Food for thought:  If somehow artifitial intellegence developes into a
reality rather than a limited game we play with computers, and a group
of intellegent robots are isolated either by extinction of carbon-based
life, or simply physical separation.  Imagine what a tricky problem it
would be for these robots to speculate about their origins.  Even if
they came accross carbon-based life again, I don't think they would
ever believe they evolved from that, much less that such creatures
actually designed and assembled their ancestors.

Gerry Gleason

jiml@alberta.UUCP (Jim Laycock) (08/05/87)

In article <1767@sfsup.UUCP> glg@/guest4/glgUUCP (xmpj20000-G.Gleason) writes:
|Food for thought:  If somehow artifitial intellegence developes into a
|reality rather than a limited game we play with computers, and a group
|of intellegent robots are isolated either by extinction of carbon-based
|life, or simply physical separation.  Imagine what a tricky problem it
|would be for these robots to speculate about their origins.  Even if
|they came accross carbon-based life again, I don't think they would
|ever believe they evolved from that, much less that such creatures
|actually designed and assembled their ancestors.
|Gerry Gleason

Precisely this issue is addressed in James P. Hogan's _Code of the Life
Maker_ -- a fantastic book

--
  Jim Laycock		Philosophy grad, University of Alberta
  alberta!Jim_Laycock@UQV-MTS

cgl@beta.UUCP (C G Langton) (08/06/87)

 I am organizing a workshop on Artificial Life that will address this
question, as well as other related questions. The workshop will be held
at the Center for Nonlinear Studies of the Los Alamos National Laboratory
during the week of Sept. 21-25, 1987. Among the confirmed attendees are:
Richard Dawkins, A.G. Cairns-Smith (mentioned by Lucius previously),
Valentino Braitenberg, Aristed Lindenmayer, Richard Laing, Hans Moravec,
James G. Miller, John Holland, ...There will also be many computer and
other demos of "living" artifacts, and an artificial "4H-Show" with a
$100 prize for the most life-like software, hardware, or wetware system.

Social and ethical issues will be explored, as well as alternative media
for embedding the processes of life, applications of the mechanisms of
adaptation and evolution, contributions toward a general theory of
life - abstracted from the particular details of any particular physical
implementation, the role of modelling in theoretical biology, and so
forth.

For more information, see a previous posting in this news group, in
news.announce.conferences, or call, write, or email a request to me:

    Chris Langton                      cgl@lanl.gov
    Center for Nonlinear Stuidies
    Los Alamos National Laboratory     505-667-1444
    Los Alamos, New Mexico USA
    87545

krista@ihlpa.ATT.COM (K.J.Anderson) (08/06/87)

In article <265@askja.UUCP>, frisk@askja.UUCP (Fridrik Skulason) writes:
> As everybody knows, all life - as we know it - is carbon based. Now, what
> I would like to ask is:
>
>      Is non-carbon based life possible?

Unfortunately, I cannot remember any details, but there were some
articles out maybe 2 or 3 years ago about some evidence that "life"
was evolving in some ocean trough.  It was based on sulfer.  I wish
I could remember more.  Anyone else?
--
ihnp4!ihlpa!krista

mccarthy@uiucuxe.cso.uiuc.edu (08/06/87)

Written 12:19 pm  Aug  3, 1987 by chiaraviglio@husc4.HARVARD.EDU
>In article <265@askja.UUCP> frisk@askja.UUCP (Fridrik Skulason) writes:
>>     What is life?

Life (or rather, biology) is anything that isn't astronomical, geographical,
or meteorological.

Or so says Carl Sagan.
_____                                                                _____
The Mental Midget                                Member, ECIS - S division
  {ihnp4, seismo, cmcl2, pur-ee} !uiucdcs!uiucuxe!mccarthy
  mccarthy%uiucuxe@a.cs.uiuc.edu
"OTISburg??!?" -L. Luthor

jru@etn-rad.UUCP (John Unekis) (08/06/87)

In article <1767@sfsup.UUCP> glg@/guest4/glgUUCP (xmpj20000-G.Gleason) writes:
>In article <265@askja.UUCP> frisk@askja.UUCP (Fridrik Skulason) writes:
>
>>     Is non-carbon based life possible?
> ....(Carbon based life)...
>did not start here, but that inter-stelar microbes of viruses seeded
>life on our planet.

     There is a polpular misconception about viruses, namely that they are
     the simplest and probably first form of life. Viruses are nothing
     but genetic material wrapped in protien. They cannot assimilate
     nutrients, and they cannot reproduce alone. A virus replicates itself
     by injecting its DNA sequence into a host cell and tricking the host
     cell to copy it. When enough copies accumulate, the cell ruptures,
     spewing out new clones to find other victim cells. To seed a planet
     with a virus would be like seeding it with nothing but sperm - a
     completely wasted effort. One school of thought says that all viruses
     originated as accidentally fatal genetic sequences which escaped from
     their mother cells.

>Food for thought:  If somehow artifitial intellegence developes into a
>reality rather than a limited game we play with computers, and a group
>they came accross carbon-based life again, I don't think they would
>ever believe they evolved from that, much less that such creatures
>actually designed and assembled their ancestors.

     This sort of speculation makes great science fiction (read -
     "Code of the Lifemaker"). For my part, someone would have to
     convince me that intelligent life exists on Earth now first.

				 ihnp4!wlbr!etn-rad!jru

eugene@aurora.UUCP (Eugene miya) (08/07/87)

Hum, always an interesting question. (Cleaning my news groups, so I don't
read this, I'll ask Greg, one of the exobiology types, what he thinks.)

Please consider answering the following:

1) What is life (biological sense)?

2) How do you test for it?  (Were 3 tests on Viking enough [out of 100s]?)

3) It's not just carbon, it's carbon-water, what solvent would silicon use?
Water is pretty amazing stuff.

4) Does Si-based life reduce O2?

This latter question is directed because Titan has a very heavy Methane
atmosphere and we were postulating CH4 oceans, snows (on "land"), and clouds.
Solid CH4 does not float in liquid CH4.  NH3 might be another candidate.

From the Rock of Ages Home for Retired Hackers:

--eugene miya
  NASA Ames Research Center
  eugene@ames-aurora.ARPA
  {hplabs,hao,nike,ihnp4,decwrl,allegra,tektronix,menlo70}!ames!aurora!eugene

lewando@phri.UUCP (Mark Lewandoski) (08/11/87)

In article <265@askja.UUCP>, frisk@askja.UUCP (Fridrik Skulason) writes:

> I am not sure if this question can be answered at all, or if one first has
> to answer the following question:
>
>      What is life?

    Life is a fountain.

glg@sfsup.UUCP (G.Gleason) (08/13/87)

In article <241@etn-rad.UUCP> jru@etn-rad.UUCP (0000-John Unekis) writes:
>In article <1767@sfsup.UUCP> glg@/guest4/glgUUCP (xmpj20000-G.Gleason) writes:
>>In article <265@askja.UUCP> frisk@askja.UUCP (Fridrik Skulason) writes:
>>
>>>     Is non-carbon based life possible?
>> ....(Carbon based life)...
>>did not start here, but that inter-stelar microbes of viruses seeded
>>life on our planet.
>
>     There is a polpular misconception about viruses, namely that they are
>     the simplest and probably first form of life. Viruses are nothing
>     but genetic material wrapped in protien. They cannot assimilate
>     nutrients, and they cannot reproduce alone. A virus replicates itself
>     by injecting its DNA sequence into a host cell and tricking the host
>     cell to copy it.

I only used the term "viruses" as an example of a small package of
life bearing material, I understand your objection.  I can also imagine
mechanisms that would allow a virus like unit to "infect" our planet.  In
a primitive earth environment, conditions in the biosphere as a whole
might be able to support infection by a particular virus.  This would not
be a virus capable of infecting any organism on earth today.  In any case,
this is just speculation, and what I was trying to point out is that a
single "seed" from outside might be able to "crystalize" life on the whole
planet.  A difficult theory to test since all the evidence may have been
wiped out already.

Gerry Gleason