[sci.bio] Silicon-based life

dd@beta.UUCP (Dan Davison) (08/07/87)

Isaac Asimov  discussed this in a series of articles in his science
column in Fantasy and Science Fiction a *long* time ago.  I think it was
the late sixties or early seventies.

Basically, silicon based life is not quantum-mechanically impossible. The
only problem is that the chain lengths cannot be as long as with carbon
because they are much more unstable.  For example, the long-chain fatty
acid-equivalents of C20 molecules (Si20) would spontaneously break up.

I do not recall the rest of the arguments, but this was the one that stuck.

I'm pretty sure that there were additional important details but I don't
recall them any more.

dan davison/ theoretical biology/los alamos national lab/ arpa:dd@lanl.gov
uucp: don't know yet./ Quote: "Great warrior?  War not make one great"..Yoda

In article <8644@beta.UUCP>, dd@beta.UUCP (Dan Davison) writes:
> Basically, silicon based life is not quantum-mechanically impossible. The
> only problem is that the chain lengths cannot be as long as with carbon

...at the same temperature...

> because they are much more unstable.  For example, the long-chain fatty
> acid-equivalents of C20 molecules (Si20) would spontaneously break up

...at room temperature...

> I'm pretty sure that there were additional important details but I don't
> recall them any more.

All this proves is that silicon based life would have to operate at a lower
temperature than humans. They may also need to use another solvent than water,
or put up with crystallisation, because we're already operating at the low
end of the usable range of hydrogen oxides.
--
-- Peter da Silva `-_-' ...!seismo!soma!uhnix1!sugar!peter (I said, NO PHOTOS!)