[sci.bio] "Is a Brain Really Necessary?"

werner@aecom.YU.EDU (Craig Werner) (09/02/87)

In article <419@hubcap.UUCP>, beede@hubcap.UUCP (Mike Beede) writes:

> > There are also poeple with hollow brains, hydrocephalics whose brain is
>
> > only 5% (!!!) of the normal brain mass.
>
> I have seen mention of this before, but never in what I would call a
> reliable source.

	Only part of a reference.

	There is one particular case of a male physics graduate
student in England sometime in the last decade.  He had a 116 IQ.
He presented to clinic complaining of headaches, and was given
one of those newfangled CAT scans, which revealed this 1 cm thick
cortex.
	The patient was reported in a reputable British medical
journal in a letter headlined by the fanciful title:

	"Is a Brain Really Necessary?"

	A Medline search might pin it down further.
--
	        Craig Werner   (future MD/PhD, 3 years down, 4 to go)
	     werner@aecom.YU.EDU -- Albert Einstein College of Medicine