[sci.bio] Allometry

Q2813@pucc.Princeton.EDU (Creative Business Decisions) (10/15/87)

Christian Ronse writes:

>I have read that the paleontologist W.K. Gregory proposed in 1935 (Quart. Rev.
>Biol. 10) that a frequent occurrence in evolution is the sudden replication of
>an existing body part followed by a subsequent elaboration and divergence of
>function of the two parts. Is this suggestion verified?

The fossil record seems to indicate this, but can't _prove_ it.  Recent
studies with fruit flies also support the idea.  Sorry, no references;
this is the word from my professors.  Allometry is the name I know for
this subject.

>I am particularly interested in the case of the evolution of the human (or
>simply primate) brain. Such a mechanism has been invoked to explain the
>multiplicity of visual areas in the primate occipital lobe (Allman, 1977), and
>the similarity between the perception of short-range movement and stereopsis
>(Anstis, 1970).

>Any pointer to serious articles or books appreciated.

Use "allometry" as a keyword when searching through publication
permutation indices.  A classic "must read" on the topic is

D'Arcy Thompson, Sir Wentworth;  _On_Growth_and_Form_;
ed. J.T. Bonner;  1961;  Princeton University Press.

This book did for allometry what Darwin's _Origin_of_the_Species_
did for evolution.  It is also well written and enjoyable.

-Una