[sci.bio] Universal Common Female Ancestor

kent@xanth.UUCP (Kent Paul Dolan) (10/13/87)

I guess I'm just feeling exceptionally stupid this morning, but there
seems to be a gaping hole in this argument somewhere.  Somebody
enlighten me.

Years ago, I learned that just by the propagation of the number of
needed ancestors, versus the diminishing size of the human species as
you go backward in time, there is a point not that far back where
everybody now is the descendent of everybody then who left
descendents.

Now we discover, after this argument is well known, that there is
something that everyone inherits only from their mother, and zappo,
all but one of the women back then suddenly have no living
descendents?  I don't believe it.

How about, instead, that by the usual same set of circumstances that
eventually extinguishes family names, all but one of the lines
somewhere passes only through the male side.

So, sure, there's some lady back then who is mother to us all in the
sense that the mothers of everyone living today can trace their
ancestry back entirely on the maternal side to her, but this doesn't
seem to be too big of a surprise; we knew it all along.  This doesn't
mean that the other ladies of that era don't also have lots of
descendants, male and female, alive today, though.  Just remember that
tracing ones ancestry back entirely through the female side represents
a vanishingly small portion of all your ancestors as you go further
back in time.

Look at it another way.  If tomorrow we discover something which is
inherited entirely from the father (an inclusion from the sperm coat,
for example ;-), we will immediately discover that there was also an
"Adam".  Doesn't mean all the other fellows didn't leave descendents,
though, just that somewhere along the way they were all daughters.

Does this make sense, or is it just low blood sugar at work?

Kent, the man from xanth.

felsenst@entropy.ms.washington.edu (Joe Felsenstein) (10/13/87)

In article <317@dg-rtp.UUCP> throopw@dg-rtp.UUCP (Wayne A. Throop) writes:
>> dd@beta.UUCP (Dan Davison)
>>> dhesi@bsu-cs.UUCP (Rahul Dhesi)
>>>      All living people (or at least ~99% of them) have a single common
>>>      female ancestor on their purely maternal line....
>> A small correction:  this refers ONLY to mitochondrial DNA, not nuclear DNA,
>> and so for the vast majority of the population says nothing about a single
>> common female ancestor.
>
>How does the fact that mitochondrial DNA was used in this evaluation
>escape the conclusion of a single common female ancestor (SCFA for
>short)?  Mitochondrial DNA comes exclusively from the female parent, and
>if there was a single common original human mitochondrial DNA, it must
>(barring unusually bizarre co-incidences) have come from a single female
>at some point in time.  The evidence supports a single common ancestral
>mitochondrial DNA, hence an SCFA.
>
>> Nor does it imply a population bottleneck 200,000 years ago.
>
>True.  There may have been any number of male ancestors, and the fact
>that only one maternal line survived doesn't mean that it was the only
>maternal line *at* *that* *time*.

Dan Davison is right about the "Eve" publicity having spawned
an amazing amount of misinformation.  Yes, there was a single female who
was the ancestor of all of our mitochondria.  But she was NOT the ancestor of
all of our nuclear genes as well (at least, there is no indication she was).

Your nuclear genes come from both parents, and their nuclear genes from
both their parents and so on back, with parents dropping out randomly
owing to the randomness of mendelian segregation and recombination.  So
ten generations ago you may have had one ancestor up the strictly female
line, but many who were ancestors of your nuclear genes.

Similarly with "Eve".  The years she lived there probably lived around her
many men AND WOMEN who bore nuclear genes that are represented in the
present human population.

The incredible reaction to the "Eve" story is probably due to its
similarity (accidental) to the biblical story, and to the attractiveness
of notions of an earth-mother-goddess.  Since mitchondria are all
that were involved these are, needless to say, overreactions!

--------------
Joe Felsenstein, Dept. Genetics SK-50, Univ. of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195
UUCP:   ... uw-beaver!uw-entropy!uw-evolution!joe
BITNET:   uw-entropy!uw-evolution!joe%uw-beaver.ARPA@UWAVM
ARPANET:  uw-entropy!uw-evolution!joe@beaver.cs.washington.edu

lindsay@K.GP.CS.CMU.EDU (Donald Lindsay) (10/15/87)

In article <2567@sigi.Colorado.EDU> pell@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Anthony
Pelletier) writes:
>The notion of a group of organisms going off into a secluded area and
>evolving together into a new species seems absurd to me.  I can buy that
>selection on all of them is the same, but the random element of evolution,
>mutation, cannot possibly occur in them all.

No no no. The "punctuated equilibrium" theory says that a subgroup becomes
genetically different. It doesn't say that they all simultaneously mutate,
no doubt while touching a black monolith.

One creature, born with a nonfatal mutation, tries to pass the change on
to his available genetic pool. If the pool is small, then there is a good
chance the change can become universal, even if it has no value (or even
negative value) simply by the probabilities of gene pools.

If a group of creatures becomes cut off from the main pool, then for the
duration, they constitute a small pool. Hence, the laws of chance begin to
dabble with them, and they MAY diverge in a useful direction.  When-and-if
the isolation is over, they may replace the parent species, or merge back
into it, or coexist as a new species. That's the theory.
--
	Don		lindsay@k.gp.cs.cmu.edu    CMU Computer Science

daver@sci.UUCP (Dave Rickel) (10/17/87)

So, has anyone compared the mitochondria of caucasians with australian
bushmen?  As i remember, the rest of the human race diverged from the
bushmen before the common ancestress.  Scale of events according to one
article i have handy--split from the bushmen, about 400,000 years ago,
orientals split off about 100,000 years ago, blacks and whites, 40,000
years ago.  Hmm.  This article goes on to say that "Eve" lived about
300,000 years ago--a little after the split with the bushmen.  It doesn't
say anything about whether or not the bushmen mitochondria show the same
lack of diversity as the rest of mankind's.

david rickel
decwrl!sci!daver

felsenst@entropy.ms.washington.edu (Joe Felsenstein) (10/21/87)

In article <7034@sgi.SGI.COM> rmr@chefchu.SGI.COM (Robert Reimann) writes:
>In article <10107@sci.UUCP>, daver@sci.UUCP (Dave Rickel) writes:
>>
>> I remember
>> that humans, gorillas, and chimpanzees all seem to be about equidistant from
>> some common ancestor on the evolutionary tree--that gorillas are as closely
>> related to man as they are to chimpanzees; ditto with chimps.
>>

>This was a matter of contention until recent comparisions of human, chimp, and
>gorilla DNA showed that gorillas were closer, as in the diagram below.  If I
>remember correctly, the point where the gorilla/human ancestor split from
>chimps is not very far from the point where gorilla and human lines split.
> [diagram omitted]
>					 Robert Reimann.

You misremember.  Actually that's the one tree no one backs.
The recent studies of Sibley and Ahlquist (Journal of
Molecular Evolution, 1984) using DNA hybridization
strongly back humans being (slightly) closer to chimps than either is to
gorillas.  There are other evidences that this is true, but some studies
contradicting it and putting chimps closest to gorillas and both equidistant
from humans.  To really settle the matter more data are needed, but one
thing that is clear from all studies is that the tree is nearly a three-way
split (trifurcation).

Additional data analyses are on the way; the ones I know about back
human-chimp.  Sibley and Ahlquist have an expanded paper coming out in
early 1988 in JME and I have a paper accompanying it analyzing this expanded
data set.

---
Joe Felsenstein, Dept. Genetics SK-50, Univ. of Washington, Seattle WA 98195
BITNET:   uw-entropy!uw-evolution!joe%uw-beaver.ARPA@UWAVM
          uw-entropy!uw-evolution!joe%uw-beaver.ARPA@UWAVM.ACC.WASHINGTON.EDU
          uw-entropy!uw-evolution!joe%uw-beaver.ARPA@WISCVM.WISC.EDU  (**)
ARPANET:  uw-entropy!uw-evolution!joe%uw-beaver
          uw-entropy!uw-evolution!joe@beaver.cs.washington.edu
UUCP:     ... uw-beaver!uw-entropy!uw-evolution!joe
(**) after 1 Dec. 1987 the third BITNET address will be invalid when
     WISCVM.WISC.EDU ceases to be a network gateway machine