[sci.bio] E. coli genetic linkage map: A new edition?

diaz@aecom.YU.EDU (Dandy) (12/29/87)

Does anyone know if a new edition of the E. coli linkage map is due to
be released anytime soon?  It has been several years since Barbara
Bachman published the last edition in Microbiological Reviews.  The map
was out of date then, and much more so now.

Also, does anyone know about attempts to harmonize Bachman's genetic map
with Cassandra Smith's recently released physical map?

--
       dn/dx   Dandy   diaz@aecom.yu.edu  Dept. Molecular Biology & Plumbing
       Ein Stein Call Age of Meddy Sin Your Shiva You Nee Verse Itty

werner@aecom.YU.EDU (Craig Werner) (12/29/87)

In article <1521@aecom.YU.EDU>, diaz@aecom.YU.EDU (Dandy) writes:
> Does anyone know if a new edition of the E. coli linkage map is due to
> be released anytime soon?  It has been several years since Barbara
> Bachman published the last edition in Microbiological Reviews.  The map
> was out of date then, and much more so now.

	An update of Genetic Maps 1984, appropriately titled 'Genetic Maps
1987' has been published.  On the other hand, I didn't check to see whether
they had actually updated the E. coli map. (Other maps were obviously
brought up to date).

> Also, does anyone know about attempts to harmonize Bachman's genetic map
> with Cassandra Smith's recently released physical map?

	In the restriction map paper itself, there is a full-page vertical
figure showing the alignment of the physical and genetic map.  The agreement
is relatively extraordinary.  Of course, since this is only a map for a
single 8-base cutter, the true alignment awaits the hexamer restriction
map, which may be a few years in getting here (or maybe not...).

--
	        Craig Werner   (future MD/PhD, 3 years down, 4 to go)
	     werner@aecom.YU.EDU -- Albert Einstein College of Medicine

pell@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Anthony Pelletier) (01/01/88)

In article <1522@aecom.YU.EDU> werner@aecom.YU.EDU (Craig Werner) writes:
>	In the restriction map paper itself, there is a full-page vertical
>figure showing the alignment of the physical and genetic map.  The agreement
>is relatively extraordinary.  Of course, since this is only a map for a
>single 8-base cutter, the true alignment awaits the hexamer restriction
>map, which may be a few years in getting here (or maybe not...).
>	        Craig Werner   (future MD/PhD, 3 years down, 4 to go)
>	     werner@aecom.YU.EDU -- Albert Einstein College of Medicine

Actually, one does not have to wait at all.  Kohara et al. have already
published a complete map of the coli chromosome with 8 (count 'em, 8)
different 6-cutters.  I am afraid I only have the pre-print, but it was
submitted to Cell in April or May and I do remember seeing it out, but not
exactly when.  It is a rather remarkable bit of work.
A rather strange aside, the map was done on W3110, because Bachman likes
this strain.  It has been abused less than alot of others.
But, of course, it has that big inversion between the rrn clusters at
72 and 90 minutes (inv(rrnB-rrnD), I think).  Kohara et al. did correct
for this in the published map, of course.  The agreement between physical
and genetic distance is fairly good, but not perfect.
Over large distances, say, from the origin to the terminus, the genetic
map is off by a few per cent.

-tony

diaz@aecom.YU.EDU (Dandy) (01/03/88)

In article <3659@sigi.Colorado.EDU>,
pell@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Anthony Pelletier) writes:

> Actually, one does not have to wait at all.  Kohara et al. have already
> published a complete map of the coli chromosome with 8 (count 'em, 8)
> different 6-cutters.  I am afraid I only have the pre-print, but it was
> submitted to Cell in April or May and I do remember seeing it out, but not
> exactly when.  It is a rather remarkable bit of work.

Tony (or someone else), could you supply us with the reference to this
paper?  Forgive my skepticism, but I don't think it exists.

--
       dn/dx   Dandy   diaz@aecom.yu.edu  Dept. Molecular Biology & Plumbing
       Ein Stein Call Age of Meddy Sin of Your Shiva You Nee Verse Itty