[sci.bio] Help on Marine Bio. schools

stuv@sphinx.uchicago.edu (david howard stuve) (01/19/88)

(line eater food....)

Hello,

     I'm a second-year undergrad at the University of Chicago, presently
pursuing a degree in Biochemistry/Molecular Biology.  As of last night,
I've decided that a childhood dream that I've had to work at sea
could be real.  So, I'm looking at studying oceanography and
marine biology.  (Neither of which are offered at Chicago.)

     So, should I continue on here and get a degree and then pursue
marine bio. in graduate school?  Or should I transfer to some other
place and begin a program right away?  If so, do you have any
recommendations?

     I'm really confused right now, so any E-mailed advice from
more experienced people would be greatly appreciated....

                                Thanks,

                                  David Stuve
                                     stuv@sphinx.uchicago.edu

diaz@aecom.YU.EDU (Dan D) (01/22/88)

In article <3138@sphinx.uchicago.edu>,
stuv@sphinx.uchicago.edu (david howard stuve) writes:
> So, I'm looking at studying oceanography and
> marine biology.  (Neither of which are offered at Chicago.)
>
>      So, should I continue on here and get a degree and then pursue
> marine bio. in graduate school?  Or should I transfer to some other
> place and begin a program right away?

Life is too short to waste.  U of Chicago has many excellent programs,
but if you know that you want to pursue a course of study not offered
there, then I suggest you transfer immediately.  Of course, if you are
interested in the biochemistry or molecular biology of marine organisms,
it might not be a bad idea to stay put and then do grad work in marine
biology.  If you don't forsee using your present major, then start going
after you really want elsewhere.

--
       dn/dx  Dan D diaz@aecom.yu.edu  Dept. Molecular Biology & Plumbing
       Ein Stein Call Age of Meddy Sin of Your Shiva You Nee Verse Itty