[sci.bio] E. coli & Salmonella => When did they diverge?

diaz@aecom.YU.EDU (Dizzy Dan) (03/11/88)

I am trying to find out when E. coli and Salmonella typhimurium were
supposed to have diverged from their common ancestor.  Does anyone know
the answer or where I can find it?  Thanx.
--
       dn/dx  Dizzy Dan Diaz diaz@aecom.yu.edu  |  Al Einstein's Fun House
       Department Molecular Biology & Plumbing  |     Big Bad Bronx, NY

eddy@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Sean Eddy) (03/12/88)

In article <1663@aecom.YU.EDU> diaz@aecom.YU.EDU (Dizzy Dan) writes:
>I am trying to find out when E. coli and Salmonella typhimurium were
>supposed to have diverged from their common ancestor.  Does anyone know
>the answer or where I can find it?  Thanx.

E. coli and S. typhimurium diverged approximately 120 to 160 million
years ago, as determined by comparison of 16S and 5S rRNA sequences.
Strikingly, this date corresponds to the reported evolutionary
origin of mammals.

You might check out the recently published bible of coli-ology,
_Escherichia coli and Salmonella typhimurium_, edited by Frederick
Neidhardt. My info comes from the last essay in this amazing
two-volume set, "Evolutionary history of enteric bacteria" by
Ochman and Wilson who claim to have a paper in preparation that
details the calculations behind the 120 to 160 million year figure.

- Sean Eddy
- Molecular/Cellular/Developmental Biology; U. of Colorado at Boulder
- eddy@boulder.colorado.EDU		!{hao,nbires}!boulder!eddy
-
- "There will be no trouble adapting computers to biology. There
-  will be Luddites. But they will be buried."
-                                   - Sydney Brenner

dd@beta.UUCP (Dan Davison) (03/12/88)

In article <1663@aecom.YU.EDU>, diaz@aecom.YU.EDU (Dizzy Dan) writes:
> I am trying to find out when E. coli and Salmonella typhimurium were
> supposed to have diverged from their common ancestor.  Does anyone know
> the answer or where I can find it?  Thanx.
>        dn/dx  Dizzy Dan Diaz diaz@aecom.yu.edu  |  Al Einstein's Fun House

Dizzy, see the books published by the American Society for Microbiology,
_Escherichia coli and Salmonella typhimurium, cellular and molecular
biology_.  It's a two volume set, and the second volume has the papers
on E. coli and S. typhimurium evolution.  I don't have them here but the
answer is there, possibly in the article by Riley and Stevens.

dan davison/theoretical biology/t-10 ms k710/los alamos national laboratory
los alamos, nm 875545/dd@lanl.gov (arpa)/dd@lanl.uucp(new)/..cmcl2!lanl!dd
best address dbd@benden.lanl.gov
--
dan davison/theoretical biology/t-10 ms k710/los alamos national laboratory
los alamos, nm 875545/dd@lanl.gov (arpa)/dd@lanl.uucp(new)/..cmcl2!lanl!dd
"I refuse to be intimidated by reality any more"  "What is reality anyway?
Nuthin' but a collective hunch!" --Jane Wagner,via Lily Tomlin

In article <4791@sigi.Colorado.EDU>, eddy@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Sean Eddy) writes:
> In article <1663@aecom.YU.EDU> diaz@aecom.YU.EDU (Dizzy Dan) writes:
> >I am trying to find out when E. coli and Salmonella typhimurium were
> >supposed to have diverged from their common ancestor.  Does anyone know
> >the answer or where I can find it?  Thanx.
>
> Ochman and Wilson who claim to have a paper in preparation that
> details the calculations behind the 120 to 160 million year figure.
>
> - Sean Eddy

It was in next-to-last Journal of Molecular Evolution, the special issue
on molecular clocks.

dan davison

inews fodder