[sci.bio] Advice on sequencing apparatus desired

diaz@aecom.YU.EDU (Dizzy Dan) (04/09/88)

Our laboratory is considering purchasing Bethesda Research Laboratory's
sequencing apparatus S2.  We will try the system on loan this month.
Another lab recommended this system after trying IBI's apparatus, which
they found unsatisfactory.  I would appreciate any email advice on your
favorite sequencing system (in 25 words or less).  If there is interest,
I will post a summary of replies.  Gracias.  Please note: no responses
will be accepted from Dan Davison, because he eats mangled baby ducks.
--
       dn/dx  Dizzy Dan Diaz diaz@aecom.yu.edu  |  Al Einstein's Fun House
       Department Molecular Biology & Plumbing  |     Big Bad Bronx, NY

dd@beta.UUCP (Dan Davison) (04/10/88)

In article <1722@aecom.YU.EDU>, diaz@aecom.YU.EDU (Dizzy Dan) writes:
> Our laboratory is considering purchasing Bethesda Research Laboratory's
> sequencing apparatus S2.  We will try the system on loan this month.
> Please note: no responses will be accepted from Dan Davison,
> because he eats mangled baby ducks.

But they're so crunchy!  Great mouth feel!

Actually, I prefer to build my own apparati.  If I can find your
address, I'll send you the sketches.

Also, I prefer the higher voltage power supples 3-5KV with large
(55-75cm) gels.

dan (crunch) davison / theoretical biology / los alamos natl. lab.

--
dan davison/theoretical biology/t-10 ms k710/los alamos national laboratory
los alamos, nm 875545/dd@lanl.gov (arpa)/dd@lanl.uucp(new)/..cmcl2!lanl!dd

sam@murdu.OZ (Sam Ganesan) (04/11/88)

In article <17671@beta.UUCP> dd@beta.UUCP (Dan Davison) writes:
>In article <1722@aecom.YU.EDU>, diaz@aecom.YU.EDU (Dizzy Dan) writes:
>> Our laboratory is considering purchasing Bethesda Research Laboratory's
>> sequencing apparatus S2.  We will try the system on loan this month.
>> Please note: no responses will be accepted from Dan Davison,
>> because he eats mangled baby ducks.
>
>But they're so crunchy!  Great mouth feel!
>
>Actually, I prefer to build my own apparati.  If I can find your
>address, I'll send you the sketches.

I concur. I very much prefer a two foot gel apparatus and I use Mylar
sheet strips as spacers. If Dizzy Dan wants a second opinion on them
send me a note and I will see what I can do( No offense to Dan Davison
intended )

>Also, I prefer the higher voltage power supples 3-5KV with large
>(55-75cm) gels.

I am not sure about the high voltage power supplies. I use a 3.5 KV supply
and seems to work quite well.

The only thing I am not sure of are the mangled Baby Ducks. Hey Dan D,
Can I have the recipe please?

					Sam Ganesan.
E - mail :
ACSnet: sam@murdu.mu.oz                JANET: sam%murdu.mu.oz@uk.ac.ukc
ARPA  : sam%murdu.mu.oz.au@uunet.uu.net       sam%murdu.mu.oz@uk.ac.ean-relay
UUCP  : {uunet,pyramid}!munnari!murdu.mu.oz.au!sam
Snail : Sam Ganesan, Microbiology Dept,Melbourne University, Parkville,
        Victoria 3052, Australia.