[sci.bio] Fission Limitations?

crown@dukempd.UUCP (Rick Crownover) (05/24/88)

	Is there any reason (I might suggest genetic diversity)
why higher organisms could not reproduce by fission?  In a
novel by Heinlein, "Double Star," he depicts martians as a
plant like race (but sentient) which reproduce this way.  My
question is: could it work?
                             Aloha,  Rick

--
	Rick Crownover				1-919-684-8279
	Duke University Dept. of Physics	crown@dukempd.uucp

ayermish@athena.mit.edu (Aimee Yermish) (05/25/88)

Probably, the reason higher organisms don't reproduce by fission is
because they need to do a lot of growth and differentiation, mainly
the latter, I'd guess.  Some multicellular animals do reproduce by
budding (things like hydras and such), but they aren't as complex as
what you are terming "higher animals."  Once you get to things like
earthworms, they are capable of regenerating lost bits (which can
sometimes result in two worms when you cut one in half carefully), but
that's not a mechanism of reproduction from the worm's "point of
view."  Anything much higher than that, there's just too much that has
to be done to make a whole new creature, and the early stages are
probably very vulnerable.

--Aimee

(opinions are mine alone)

roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) (05/25/88)

ayermish@athena.mit.edu (Aimee Yermish) writes:
> Anything much higher than that, there's just too much that has to be
> done to make a whole new creature

	I believe it is possible to reproduce an entire human being given
only his nose to start from.  Reference:

%A Woody Allen
%T Sleeper
%D Early 1970's ?
--
Roy Smith, System Administrator
Public Health Research Institute

ayermish@athena.mit.edu (Aimee Yermish) (05/27/88)

(chuckle)

My point was that cloning is not a means the organism will choose for
reproduction (yes, I know you were being silly).

--Aimee