[sci.bio] tRNA contact points

diaz@aecom.YU.EDU (Dizzy Dan) (07/20/88)

In article <7169@sigi.Colorado.EDU>,
pell@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Anthony Pelletier) writes:

> I think you got a couple of things mixed up here.  The "two-base code"
> is a bit of a misnomer.  They only did the work for one tRNA; unlike
> translation, information for which must be constrained in a physical
> space (the A nd P sites of the ribosome), there is no reason that all
> tRNA sythetases need use the same number of contacts or even contacts
> on analogous parts of the molecule.
> Anyway, personally, I think Schimmel is stretching
> the importance of his work a bit.

Despite what the popular (and unpopular) press may publish, there is
still quite a bit of work to be done to establish the protein-protein
and protein-nucleic acid contacts involved in charging tRNAs with the
appropriate amino acids.

I recently attended the Gordon Research Conference on Nucleic Acids,
where both Schimmel and his competitor McClain spoke.  Although I am
not at liberty to discuss the nature of their presentations, suffice it
to say that there was some hearty disagreement on how the extant data
should be interpreted.

Part of the problem, alluded to by Tony and others, appears to be that
some might be looking for portions of all tRNA molecules which will then
interact with corresponding domains of their amino acyl synthetases.
This might be an apples and oranges problem.  Another problem I see is
in the interpretation of in vitro studies and the in vivo conclusions
drawn from them.

At least it appears that the controversy will foster further competition
and perhaps lead us to the answer(s) more quickly.
--
      dn/dx      Dept Molecular Biology   diaz@aecom.yu.edu
     Dizzy Dan   Al Einstein's Med School  Big Bad Bronx, NY