[sci.bio] Machine Readable Birth Rate Records

cramer@optilink.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) (09/16/88)

I'm looking for machine readable data that shows birth rates (or raw
birth numbers and total population) for any significant part of the
world, as far back as possible.  (I realize this is unlikely to go back
much more than a century).  Broken down by year is fine.  Anyone got
them?
--
Clayton E. Cramer
..!ames!pyramid!kontron!optilin!cramer

hes@ecsvax.uncecs.edu (Henry Schaffer) (09/16/88)

In article <463@optilink.UUCP>, cramer@optilink.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) writes:
> I'm looking for machine readable data that shows birth rates ...
> Clayton E. Cramer

  The reference I generally (used to) use is  WORLD POPULATION  An Analysis
of Vital Data  by Nathan Keyfitz and Hilhelm Flieger  Univ of Chicago Press
1968.  This is a large book, 8 1/2 x 11, 672 pages.  While it isn't
machine readable - it still may be usable and have pointers to machine
readable info.  Also I haven't checked for more recent literature, since
I don't do that sort of work anymore.  (This book also has an introduction
which explains how this type of demographic figures are calculated.)

--henry schaffer  n c state univ